PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu forums needs more members...

slashwannabe94
April 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I quite often find myself waiting a week or two weeks for help on a problem, Ubuntu forums is great place for help, but sometimes i just stop and think if only there were more members. My problems and many others would be fixed quicker... Waiting sucks!

undecim
April 5th, 2011, 05:00 PM
A billion more members will do you no good if none of them have the answer.

uRock
April 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I haven't read your threads in particular, but many of the threads that I have seen go unanswered would probably be answered more quickly if their OPs were to read this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

lucazade
April 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM
why, in the meantime someone will answer your threads, don't you read some documentations and try to figure out bug and solve yourselves?

this is a good ebook to start with ;)
http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/unleashed/

waiting doesn't suck, depends on others maybe!

uRock
April 5th, 2011, 05:15 PM
why, in the meantime someone will answer your threads, don't you read some documentations and try to figure out bug and solve yourselves?

this is a good ebook to start with ;)
http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/unleashed/

waiting doesn't suck, depends on others maybe!
Yeah, it could be worse. One could be waiting for help from one of the forums with much less active members. I had a thread in one of the other popular forums sit for almost a month before it got a reply and it wasn't a complicated issue. When someone did finally reply I had already deleted the OS from VBox.

Often times I fix my issue within minutes of creating a thread.

SeijiSensei
April 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Well it appears you've posted some unanswered questions like this one:

Set up proxy?
Can anyone point me in the right direction to setting up a proxy on my ubunty machine.

That's the kind of question that people like me read and ignore. It doesn't sound like you've made any efforts in finding out the answer for yourself and expect volunteers to do your work for you. I don't think I'm alone in ignoring requests like this.

LowSky
April 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
That's the kind of question that people like me read and ignore. It doesn't sound like you've made any efforts in finding out the answer for yourself and expect volunteers to do your work for you. I don't think I'm alone in ignoring requests like this.

There are no dumb questions just lazy minds.

I too will ignore a thread if it means I will be doing all of the work. I am a volunteer who gives help to solutions I spent countless hours researching and will not spend my time researching things I know or care little about.

This isn't the only place to ask about Linux problems. Countless others can possibly help.

coolbrook
April 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Perhaps your quickest response will come on Twitter or Identi.ca.

#ubuntu

unknownPoster
April 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but in my experience UF is overall one of the most active forums I've seen. However, it is most likely the most active Linux Distribution forum out there by far.

koenn
April 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Here's another one like that :

I am just doing some networking at the moment and was wondering that when you copy an entire directory using scp, does scp actually copy everything including the hidden files?
thanks,
In the time it takes to write that post, you can just scp any directory that has hidden files, and see if the hidden files got copied.

youbuntu
April 5th, 2011, 07:50 PM
This reminds me of people who call/email/Facebook me and ask me the most RIDICULOUS questions, when they could goto Google and save all the hassle. People are plain lazy, and unwilling to learn, by that mindset.

I think Ubuntu forums has plenty of members, actually. Would you care to go out onto the internet and "recruit" some, just to answer some questions?

:lol:

slashwannabe94
April 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
You know you guys are all right :) It sometimes takes the views of others for people to understand what to do. Like now i'm screwed on setting up lsyncd - rsync haha. Will do more research guys :)

Thanks for the inspiration.