PDA

View Full Version : Question: Apple iPad Or Android Tablet?

Hyper Tails
April 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Guys, Long time no see,

I was thinking about getting either an "Apple iPad" or an Tablet running Google's "Android" Operating system to replace my laptop with for school as I use my laptop for school by taking notes down, doing school work and Projects on it and online research.

the reason Why I was considering this is because I wanted something lighter to carry around with me instead of a big bulky laptop on my desk when I could use something lighter.

If you say an Android Tablet, A recommended Tablet would be appericated, If you believe that I should stick to my laptop, feel free to give reasons.

Please vote on the poll, I will close it on the 12th of April.

Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear a response soon.

Simian Man
April 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
A friend of mine just got an Android tablet, and it was pretty underwhelming really. Many of his apps were not made for the large screen and just used a phone sized window in the middle of the large tablet. Also some didn't work at all. I'm sure Google will get that all straightened out with time though. I'd really recommend just getting a netbook if you plan to do much typing on it. Plus you can run a traditional OS which will be better for work.

gnomeuser
April 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Neither, I would get the HP Touchpad powered by webOS. It is built on a lot of open technology (and HP seems seriously invested in building a community around webOS). WebOS has what is perhaps the best design for multitasking and task oriented workflows.

It is for my money the only interesting tablet on the market (or rather as it is, really close to market).

scouser73
April 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Android, as it's such a far better choice. I really want a Motorola XOOM

PuddingKnife
April 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'd go for the iPad 2. Its a nice step up from the original, and nothing really compares to it yet.

I'm sure Google will get that all straightened out with time though.

The difference I'm seeing is that Apple came out of the gate strong, and on the other hand everyone wants to give Google time to catch up to Apple. To me, that says Apple put a lot more thought and time in creating a good tablet experience. I've got high hopes for Honeycomb, but the Xoom hasn't impressed me at all.

Copper Bezel
April 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM
If your primary purpose is note-taking, a little nine-inch netbook would make the most sense. You could also split the difference (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/asus-eee-pad-slider-and-transformer-are-here-for-those-that-can/).

akand074
April 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
If you want a tablet, then Android Tablet for sure. It's far superior to the the Apple iPad. And @gnomeuser's post, the head UI designer for WebOS (the one that actually designed the great multi-tasking) now works for Google on the Android project. Here is a few main reasons I would recommend you get an Android Honeycomb powered tablet:

- You actually get a user interface, and a nice and useful one at that where you can put a lot of useful widgets
- Much better multi-tasking
- You can actually use a file browser... and some pretty damn advanced ones at that.
- You don't have to go through iTunes for everything, i.e. you really have the freedom to do whatever you want
- Another note on the above, you can playback a much larger variety of different video/picture/audio file formats without having to convert them through iTunes.
- It becomes better the longer you have it, on my cell phone I started at Sense 2.1, switched to Sense 2.2, then to AOSP 2.2 then to AOSP 2.3 then to AOSP 2.3.3 and changed launchers several times since I got my phone late September, it's like I got a new phone 5+ times with new features, better performance, new looks and its fun. And you aren't required to change that much if you don't want to. iPad doesn't get updated that often, never really changes.
- Like GNU/Linux distributions, it allows huge amounts of customization ability if you choose to do so. You can actually make your Tablet personal rather than an over-simplified generic design.
- I can't remember the exact numbers, but about 58% of Android apps are free while only around 17-20% of iOS apps are free (I've surprisingly seen the same apps on Android for free while they are paid on iOS).
- Android dethroned Symbian's 10 year rein as #1 on the market, it's just growing really fast with a lot of supporters.
- There are plenty of different builds of Android on XDA where you can install a build that more suits you if you want
EDIT: - I completely forgot to mention one huge thing: Flash 10.2 support! You can view all the content of the Internet just like your desktop.

I guess I'll stop naming things but those are a few major points. As of which one to get, if you aren't in a rush. I suggest getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab II (http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-official-tegra-2-honeycomb-dual-camer/) that's coming out during the summer (early July I believe). It's priced at 499$ in the US for 16GB Wi-Fi version for a 10.1". It also has a better screen resolution, its thinner and weighs less than the iPad 2. Full 1080p RECORDING and PLAYBACK.

rg4w
April 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM
+1 on the netbook or a netbook/tablet convertable. All the apps you already love easily accessible, with a physical keyboard.

LowSky
April 5th, 2011, 06:14 PM
viewsonic g tablet. you can get it for about $300 right now. runs a crappy rom but over at xda there is a ton of options to help choose a new one like Vegan-tab or cyangenmod.

the g tab also runs the same tegra 2 chip as the moto xoom which cost over twice as much. the only downside is the sceen but at the price you get over the limitation quickly.

if you need to do work for school though get a laptop. tables cant replace things like word processing and long typing sessions

gnomeuser
April 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
A video demo of the Touchpad and webOS from a recent HP event. If after watching it you do not want one more than air, see a doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-Agrjaq_Q

Honestly so much thought has been put into how things should work in webOS, it might be that the lead designer is now with Google working on Android but he still have no been able to make any major improvements to the experience (and demos of devices running Honeycomb still look far more complicated and cluttered than webOS's stunning elegance).

HP seem determined to push webOS for all it is worth. The Touchpad along with the Pre3 and the Veer coming this year, next year every computer shipped by HP will be capable of running webOS. They are heavily invested in it, and for good reason, it is probably the single best designed user experience available today. It builds on decades of Palm's industry leading experience and an open foundation based on Linux (admittedly there are proprietary components but I feel happy labelling webOS as open for the most part).

youbuntu
April 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Android, as it's such a far better choice. I really want a Motorola XOOM

This.

Miles better than iPad, from what I can see. Not tried one yet, but click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRXg5LQh3Y

I tried iPad 2 in my local "Orange" retail recently, and it was just meh, all the way. iPad 2 hasn't even had the screen res updated, so it's just an iPad with faster CPU and cameras. So what.

Quintilian
April 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'd recommend the Motorola XOOM tablet. It's pretty nice, we got some here at work recently so I've been busy 'testing' it. The screen resolution is nice, and I'm a huge fan of the widescreen over the iPad's 4:3. Also the XOOMs battery life is really nice, it will usually run a full day with about a quarter of battery left with fairly heavy use (videos, web browsing, fair amount of emailing/text editing, and some gaming).
you will, however, have to get used to typing on the screen. on the XOOM the screen's just about big enough to use both hands comfortably, but the lack of tactile feedback can lead to some easy fat-fingering.
Just my 2 cents...

Johnsie
April 5th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Android... But the whole thing's just a gimmick. After the novelty of having a pad wore off I went back to my netbook. Why? Typing on a pad is even more awkward than on a netbook, more operating systems can be installed on a netbook and the cpu has a little more poke. I like the pad for listening to music,looking at photos and reading emails. It's great for travelling with, but for anything serious that involves typing a laptop/netbook/desktop is so much better.

akand074
April 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
A video demo of the Touchpad and webOS from a recent HP event. If after watching it you do not want one more than air, see a doctor.

Honestly so much thought has been put into how things should work in webOS, it might be that the lead designer is now with Google working on Android but he still have no been able to make any major improvements to the experience (and demos of devices running Honeycomb still look far more complicated and cluttered than webOS's stunning elegance).

HP seem determined to push webOS for all it is worth. The Touchpad along with the Pre3 and the Veer coming this year, next year every computer shipped by HP will be capable of running webOS. They are heavily invested in it, and for good reason, it is probably the single best designed user experience available today. It builds on decades of Palm's industry leading experience and an open foundation based on Linux (admittedly there are proprietary components but I feel happy labelling webOS as open for the most part).

Wow they did really put quite a bit of work into it. I've always been a big fan of HP and thought that them buying Palm was the best thing that could have happened to Palm products. It's definitely a good alternative. Though I still believe Android has a better future, at least in the consumer market. Also the head UI developer of WebOS only recently joined Google as well as some other UI and only had input into Honeycomb, I'm sure given time future releases will get much better. WebOS also needs to get their number of apps up. But it's pretty impressive I must say.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Before one buys an iPad or Android Tablet or HP what ever think very hard as what use you are going to put it to.

It is NOT a Laptop or Netbook replacement.

It is NOT a Desktop replacement.

With that in mind consider the task you would use it for, I use my iPad as follows....

1. As a Chart plotter on my boat using the Navionics Chart App.
2. Email,Calendar etc when travelling
3. Mobile Photo viewing.
4. Internet when travelling.
5. Movies etc when travelling especially on a plane.
6. Books
7. Mobile extension of my desktop for document/speedsheet etc editing
8. Marine weather

For those tasks the iPad is brilliant, lightweight easy to use and lasts for days before needing a charge.

kerry_s
April 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM
android, i can do everything i did on my computer.
mines a cheap model with no flash & resistive screen.
it's my first android tablet, so i wanted to see first. i spent $106 total & it was well worth it, i will be saving for bigger & better.

ipad, is a slave device, no itunes = useless, you can't even start it up.

gnomeuser
April 5th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Wow they did really put quite a bit of work into it. I've always been a big fan of HP and thought that them buying Palm was the best thing that could have happened to Palm products. It's definitely a good alternative. Though I still believe Android has a better future, at least in the consumer market. Also the head UI developer of WebOS only recently joined Google as well as some other UI and only had input into Honeycomb, I'm sure given time future releases will get much better. WebOS also needs to get their number of apps up. But it's pretty impressive I must say.

I think Android is stuck with much of it's UI and sadly it's elected model is not userfriendly nor very well thought out. The changes required to bring Android close to webOS's elegance seem unlikely to win favor sine they would likely be very radical, rather the approach seems to be polishing and fixing an inferior UX.

I predict that Android largely will continue to look and work the same way it does today and as an owner of an Android device.. it leaves a lot to be desired.

I feel more confident that the webOS experience will scale well from the phone screen and use cases, over tablets to desktops (and even servers and printers). HP might not be Google, but they are still one of the biggest players in the industry and unlike Google they ship hardware.. lots of hardware, all of which will run webOS. As for apps, webOS has an excellent set of development tools and builds on existing well understood html5, css, javascript technology. For native cases they also provide a high performance API based on amongst other projects, SDL. I have no fear that they will be able to gather developers and with Honeycombs disappointing application selection, I think it will actually do better.

HP have invested a lot in building a homebrew community and have provided partners with access to the platform. I think the Touchpad should ship with quite a good range of applications and the ecosystem will continue to evolve.

Johnsie
April 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Good quality Androids are very elegant, easy to use and powerful. As with anything you need to pay to get the best Android device. I think some of the more negative posters may have been using cheap/old hardware. You get what you pay for with Android devices. Android is by far the best touchpad platform available at the moment, and the new version of Android is going to make it even more awesome. Don't waste your money on an HP or an Apple, they just don't cut it compared to Android.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
The Android Pads I have seen have been good they just didn't meet my requirements. I cannot comment on the HP devices I have not experienced them.

akand074
April 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I think Android is stuck with much of it's UI and sadly it's elected model is not userfriendly nor very well thought out. The changes required to bring Android close to webOS's elegance seem unlikely to win favor sine they would likely be very radical, rather the approach seems to be polishing and fixing an inferior UX.

I predict that Android largely will continue to look and work the same way it does today and as an owner of an Android device.. it leaves a lot to be desired.

I feel more confident that the webOS experience will scale well from the phone screen and use cases, over tablets to desktops (and even servers and printers). HP might not be Google, but they are still one of the biggest players in the industry and unlike Google they ship hardware.. lots of hardware, all of which will run webOS. As for apps, webOS has an excellent set of development tools and builds on existing well understood html5, css, javascript technology. For native cases they also provide a high performance API based on amongst other projects, SDL. I have no fear that they will be able to gather developers and with Honeycombs disappointing application selection, I think it will actually do better.

HP have invested a lot in building a homebrew community and have provided partners with access to the platform. I think the Touchpad should ship with quite a good range of applications and the ecosystem will continue to evolve.

You have a valid point, and HP is the largest hardware manufacturer in North America I believe. I really like the Android UI as it is and there are plenty of people developing alternate launchers. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything. But we could likely throw arguments all day, I think it's best to just watch and see what happens, it's often hard to predict. I sincerely hope WebOS does grow well and be successful. Especially to drop Apple's ridiculous market share, without attacking their products I really dislike that company.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
You have a valid point, and HP is the largest hardware manufacturer in North America I believe. I really like the Android UI as it is and there are plenty of people developing alternate launchers. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything. But we could likely throw arguments all day, I think it's best to just watch and see what happens, it's often hard to predict. I sincerely hope WebOS does grow well and be successful. Especially to drop Apple's ridiculous market share, without attacking their products I really dislike that company.

How can you call Apples market share ridiculous, they did not hold guns to buyers heads to force them to buy. They purchased out of choice. Apples market share has reached it's point because of right product, right time, right marketing and buyers choice.

Johnsie
April 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Actually Android is alot more popular among users than Apple. Certainly on phones anyway. I think tablets will go the same way. Apple is kind of last year. 2 years ago it was fashionable to have an Apple and then it peaked sometime last year. This year it is more fashionable to have an Android. That's what happens when you make computers like the clothes industry. A new season brings new products and brands go out of fashion like is happening with Apple right now ;-)

Maybe next year something else will come along and make Apple and Google look like the worn out dinosaurs they are becoming.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Actually Android is alot more popular among users than Apple. Certainly on phones anyway. I think tablets will go the same way. Apple is kind of last year. 2 years ago it was fashionable to have an Apple, this year it is fashionable to have an Android. That's what happens when you make computers like the clothes industry ;-)

Maybe next year something else will come along.

Correct

Next year it may well be the Windows based tablets that take off or tablets may go the way of the Dodo aka the Netbook

I personally don't give a toss about fashion, if you saw my dress sense you would realise that

Johnsie
April 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
If we cared about fashion we wouldn't be using Linux on the desktop :-)

Unfortunately it's fashion that dictates alot of the computing industry, especially in the workplace.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
If we cared about fashion we wouldn't be using Linux on the desktop :-)

Unfortunately it's fashion that dictates alot of the computing industry, especially in the workplace.

There I have to part company, putting on my CIO hat what dictates computing in the workplace is "bang for buck" and "cost effectiveness" for 99% . There is the occasional purchase such as for the reception desks etc that are for "image" and in some companies there is some element of "ego' purchasing but that tends to be in smaller and soon to be less successful operations.

If purchasing in the workplace was for fashion the big sellers for Dell and HP would not be the small form factor PC's they are butt ugly. They would be selling the all in ones along with Apple.

akand074
April 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
How can you call Apples market share ridiculous, they did not hold guns to buyers heads to force them to buy. They purchased out of choice. Apples market share has reached it's point because of right product, right time, right marketing and buyers choice.

What I meant by "Apple's ridiculous market share" is Apple's ridiculously high market share. I didn't intend to imply it was undeserved. Their marketing has been really good. Though I don't believe it's deserved based on technology and it being the better product. I'd elaborate but this is a thread asking for input on which tablet he should get there's no point getting off topic.

You could always stop by a store and try each of them out, or if you have any friends with them. But as most people suggested for school and work a tablet isn't really the best choice. It's good for just a general travel companion for organization, media/entertainment, communication and such, you could probably make it more useful for school with a keyboard dock if you intend on taking notes on it. Otherwise you could just open up powerpoints/pdfs/ebooks on it and follow along and write by hand or perhaps with a stylus pen.

clanky
April 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hi Hyper Tails, with the best will in the world all that you will get here (or on any other forum) is either someone's opinion of how each one suits their particular needs or someone puching their own agenda, be it free software zealots or apple fanboys. The relevance of these opinions to your needs will vary wildly and it will be almost impossible to tell which ones are relevant and which ones aren't.

The best thing you can do is to find a friend that has one and try it out.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Here is one of the best uses I put the iPad , on the boat as a Chart plotter. When you compare the price of a iPad to a Lowrance Chart Plotter which is $5,449.00 the iPad works out great for this. The App for the iPad was from memory $16.00.

Hyper Tails
April 6th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Question guys:

If I bought an Android Tablet with an Android 3.0, and Android 3.1 comes out in the future, Would I be able to update to that version of Android?

So far, I'm Thinking about the "Motorola Xoom", Special Thanks to "glossywhite" for showing this tablet.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Question guys:

If I bought an Android Tablet with an Android 3.0, and Android 3.1 comes out in the future, Would I be able to update to that version of Android?

So far, I'm Thinking about the "Motorola Xoom", Special Thanks to "glossywhite" for showing this tablet.

You're so welcome :D

As Android 3.0-3.1 is only a point upgrade (but a whole new dessert :P), you'll find that, seeing as Xoom is a VERY new device, I'd be surprised if 3.1/whatever did not come out as an upgrade for it. However, Google "Modaco" and you'll find some *very* intelligent people, who make custom ROMs for Android devices in their own spare time (I'm using one on my ZTE "Blade" Android handset, and loving 2.2 on a 2.1 phone :D).

Apple make amazing hardware, but Android is catching up VERY fast, and you have a lot more choice - the gap is closing fast (as much as Apple probably would like to deny it).

ElSlunko
April 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I'm looking forward to the unmentioned tablet, HP's Touchpad *ducks*.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm looking forward to the unmentioned tablet, HP's Touchpad *ducks*.

How about the (apparently "much awaited") BlackBerry tablet?

ElSlunko
April 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM
How about the (apparently "much awaited") BlackBerry tablet?

I'd rather go with the native paradigm, not the imitation.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I'd rather go with the native paradigm, not the imitation.

Same here :P

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/

Whoah! The border is almost as big as the screen :?

mamamia88
April 6th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I voted for forget it. Most of what I do on my computer has to do with communicating with other people. Tablets don't have keyboards so I would be very handicapped. I have a netbook and a kindle so I really don't see the need for a tablet. Maybe if I wanted to read a book with colorful pictures that I can't on the kindle but, it's very rare I read a book with pictures.

KiwiNZ
April 6th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I voted for forget it. Most of what I do on my computer has to do with communicating with other people. Tablets don't have keyboards so I would be very handicapped. I have a netbook and a kindle so I really don't see the need for a tablet. Maybe if I wanted to read a book with colorful pictures that I can't on the kindle but, it's very rare I read a book with pictures.

That's odd my iPad has a Keyboard

mamamia88
April 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
That's odd my iPad has a Keyboard

how fast can you type on the virtual keyboard though? I can type really fast on my netbook. It's very light and i'm not inconvenienced in the smallest by it. So what exact benefit do you get from a tablet? I'm kind of interested in an ipad but right now I really don't see the need for one.

KiwiNZ
April 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM
how fast can you type on the virtual keyboard though? I can type really fast on my netbook. It's very light and i'm not inconvenienced in the smallest by it. So what exact benefit do you get from a tablet? I'm kind of interested in an ipad but right now I really don't see the need for one.

For me see post # 15

But an Android may well suit your needs, they are excellent tablets especially now that Android has reached 2.1 stable. Earlier ones were not a match for iPad but the new ones are real competition for Apple.

Although it HAS reached 3.0

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Both iPad/iPad 2 & Xoom have incredible keyboards. I could type at almost full speed when I had an iPad, srsly.

...especially now that Android has reached 3.1...

Eh? Since when? :?

mamamia88
April 6th, 2011, 01:41 AM
yeah i will probably go with an android tablet when they come into my price range. Just to play around with. Want it for kindle books that have color pictures. Otherwise with weight and battery life being equal ,and not doing anything specific to a tablet, I would probably always take the netbook with me.

KiwiNZ
April 6th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Both iPad/iPad 2 & Xoom have incredible keyboards. I could type at almost full speed when I had an iPad, srsly.

Eh? Since when? :?

Typo I forgot you never made typing mistakes :rolleyes:

stchman
April 6th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Get a new laptop, you will be happier with it as you can run your favorite *ix distro.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Typo I forgot you never made typing mistakes :rolleyes:

I thought you had inside information, for a minute. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Please, don't be sarcastic, okay? That is not kind.

Get a new laptop, you will be happier with it as you can run your favorite *ix distro.

Happier than buying a tablet, which is want they want?

Casey R
April 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Android tablet, for sure. I'd recommend the XOOM or the LG G-Slate which is coming out on the 20th of this month.

1clue
April 6th, 2011, 02:06 AM
My vote is an iPad 2.

I currently own an iPhone 3 GS and I use a 17" MacBook Pro for work. My home machine is the Linux box, and there's about the same amount of money tied up in the basic Linux box and the MacBook.

My experience with the Apple phone and laptop is that when you look at the hardware it's a total waste of money. You can get a MUCH faster bit of hardware if you piece it together yourself or buy some other brand.

On the other hand, the Apple gear comes with an amazingly kick-donkey interface that massively improves the usability and productivity of the device. You don't necessarily know how to use it when you get the device, but Apple makes the interface consistent across the devices so what works on one will probably work on the other.

I don't have a tablet yet, but Apple has consistently nailed the interface perfectly for years now. I love Linux, but Apple has forever been a game changer for how we use hardware. I hate their closed-system attitude, but what you get is awesome.

Not only that, but for whatever reason the iPad is price competitive with everything else, and everything else sucks in comparison.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 02:09 AM
My vote is an iPad 2.

I currently own an iPhone 3 GS and I use a 17" MacBook Pro for work. My home machine is the Linux box, and there's about the same amount of money tied up in the basic Linux box and the MacBook.

My experience with the Apple phone and laptop is that when you look at the hardware it's a total waste of money. You can get a MUCH faster bit of hardware if you piece it together yourself or buy some other brand.

On the other hand, the Apple gear comes with an amazingly kick-donkey interface that massively improves the usability and productivity of the device. You don't necessarily know how to use it when you get the device, but Apple makes the interface consistent across the devices so what works on one will probably work on the other.

I don't have a tablet yet, but Apple has consistently nailed the interface perfectly for years now. I love Linux, but Apple has forever been a game changer for how we use hardware. I hate their closed-system attitude, but what you get is awesome.

Not only that, but for whatever reason the iPad is price competitive with everything else, and everything else sucks in comparison.

Which aspect would push you to buy Apple - the "waste of money" or the "game changer"? I'm not sure where you stand :?

Everything else sucks in comparison? That's a rather bold claim to make, as I am pretty certain it is improbable that you've tried everything else. You sounded pretty open minded... right up until that comment :(

1clue
April 6th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Glossy,

Are you deliberately offensive or were you born that way? You certainly have a habit of gathering angst on this forum.

The waste of money part is a first impression, not a lasting one. Apple has been a game changer since their first computer escaped the garage. I'm guessing you don't remember when that happened but I sure do.

Whether I owned them or not, I've had the chance to use Apple products through the entire product cycle from an Apple 2 all the way out to their latest stuff. They've definitely had some bloopers but not all that many, and most of the ones I can think of were during the unfortunate guardianship of Gassee.

At my office, the owner switched us over to Macs from whatever we had. In my case that was Linux, and in several others it was Windows. I had already owned Macs before, but the folks who started with Windows started by griping and then worked their way to "I totally get it, this is great."

The things I don't like about Apple are their closed-box nature and their monomaniacal approach to running a business. Not their hardware or their software.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 02:40 AM
...Are you deliberately offensive or were you born that way? You certainly have a habit of gathering angst on this forum.

In what way could anything I just said, be seen as offensive? I wasn't aiming to be offensive at ALL, whereas you just went out of your way to explicitly make a rude comment - I'd have to say that this is far more offensive, and as such, reported for abuse.

rvchari
April 6th, 2011, 02:58 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and contains information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination and or copying of this email in any manner is strictly prohibited and you are requested to delete this e-mail immediately.
Communicating through e-mail is not secure and capable of interception and delays. Any one communicating with TATA Consulting Engineers Ltd., and / or its subsidiaries or associates or group companies by e-mail accepts the risks involved and their consequences.
While this e-mail has been checked for all known viruses, the addressee should also scan for viruses and notify the originator of e-mail.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
good one... saw the you tube... i think ipad will have stiff competition !!! right ?

1clue
April 6th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Wow, thank you! That's the first time ever, on any forum, that I have been reported for abuse. That goes all the way back to when the Internet could only be used by military, government and educational organizations in the USA.

Whether you meant it as such or not, I read your post as deliberately obnoxious and inflammatory. This is not a personal attack in spite of our previous discussions, when you were definitely on the attack.

In order to avoid a flame war, this is my last post on this thread. I've had my say on the topic, and the last couple posts have definitely deviated.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Wow, thank you! That's the first time ever, on any forum, that I have been reported for abuse. That goes all the way back to when the Internet could only be used by military, government and educational organizations in the USA.

Whether you meant it as such or not, I read your post as deliberately obnoxious and inflammatory. This is not a personal attack in spite of our previous discussions, when you were definitely on the attack.

In order to avoid a flame war, this is my last post on this thread. I've had my say on the topic, and the last couple posts have definitely deviated.

I apologise if you were not deliberately being rude, okay? Thanks for explaining, sorta. :)

I want Xooooommmm! :D

kerry_s
April 6th, 2011, 04:12 AM
xoom is sweet, i played with it at best buy for awhile. its way out of my budget though.

hopefully next year i can move to a 10".

i paid total of $106 for my coby mid7015 tablet+8gb microsd.

it works good enough, i don't even bother turning my main computer on. i do forums, watch youtube, download torrents, watch movies, listen to music, etc...
you get use to it quick.

heres what i see.

oobuntoo
April 6th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Forget Xoom and iPad2 and wait for the new 8.6 millimeters thin Samsung Galaxy Tab in June. It's thinner than iPad2, which is 8.8 millimeters thick.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsPreviewRead.do?news_seq=19833

Cracklepop
April 6th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I'd go for the iPad 2. Its a nice step up from the original, and nothing really compares to it yet.

The Xoom outclasses the iPad2 in every respect....

The difference I'm seeing is that Apple came out of the gate strong, and on the other hand everyone wants to give Google time to catch up to Apple. To me, that says Apple put a lot more thought and time in creating a good tablet experience. I've got high hopes for Honeycomb, but the Xoom hasn't impressed me at all.That isn't Google though, is it? They've created Honeycomb, the rest is up to developers and tablet makers.

@OP: stay with the laptop (or buy a netbook - they're cheaper than most tablets. My Eee 1005PE cost $350 and has a 14 hour advertised battery life. Only an Archos tablet could offer the same value for money that netbooks give.).
Tablets are great for content consumption, but not so great for content creation. They're a netbook without a keyboard.

Forget Xoom and iPad2 and wait for the new 8.6 millimeters thin Samsung Galaxy Tab in June. It's thinner than iPad2, which is 8.8 millimeters thick.

Finally! That 0.2 mm was really putting me off... ;)

Rasa1111
April 6th, 2011, 05:59 AM
ipad= mistake

android tablet= good decision.

kerry_s
April 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM
ipad= mistake

android tablet= good decision.

:lolflag: so simple!

Rasa1111
April 6th, 2011, 06:45 AM
:lolflag: so simple!

lol :lol:, Yep, Like most things..
we just choose to make them difficult. lol :P

Giant Speck
April 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
The newest iteration of the iPad makes me more willing to buy it.

However, if I were to get a tablet at all, I'd get one of the upcoming Palm TouchPads. WebOS looks very promising to me.

KiwiNZ
April 6th, 2011, 08:21 AM
The newest iteration of the iPad makes me more willing to buy it.

However, if I were to get a tablet at all, I'd get one of the upcoming Palm TouchPads. WebOS looks very promising to me.

Two things put me off

1. HP's horrible recent history of quality in the consumer market
2. Bad bad bad memories of Palm

That said when they arrive here I will look at them with great interest.

Tristam Green
April 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
This thread is rife with nonchalant opinion being tossed about in lieu of fact.

Opinion is great, but don't generalize with "x is better than y" without substantiating your claim.

I don't own either style, and haven't yet been able to touch an HP Touchpad, but I'd choose the iPad right now over any Android tablet.

Why, you ask, given that I actually prefer anything over Apple product? Because at face-value, the iPad just works. No fragmentation, no gripes that there's no access to the App Store in x version, no custom firmware that is going to void your warranty (trust me, on a device covered in glass, I'd rather have a warranty than the potential for a little hacking). It just works.

Simian Man
April 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't own either style, and haven't yet been able to touch an HP Touchpad, but I'd choose the iPad right now over any Android tablet.

Definitely. I have actually used both and, as I said, there were big problems with the Xoom that were evident with just a few minutes of using it. Most people here will always recommend a Linux-based product over an Apple one totally regardless of the actual quality of those products - and often without ever having even tried them.

Tristam Green
April 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I sense this thread is descending into a flame war... the signs are all here... not good.

Your senses are failing you, then. I see nothing flameworthy, nor inflammatory at all.

The request was simple - back up opinions with facts and figures, rather than just simply saying "well I say get this because it's better than this other thing". Tell us why it's better from a technical standpoint.

Elfy
April 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I sense this thread is descending into a flame war... the signs are all here... not good.

Not that I can see.

s.fox
April 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Not that I can see.

Agreed. All I see is a discussion.

Cracklepop
April 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ipad2 vs Xoom

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ipad_vs._xoom_vs._ipad_2_spec_comparison_chart/

http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-xoom-optimus-pad-galaxy-tab-10-touchpad-blackberry-playbook-spec-wars/

To be fair, Xoom doesn't win in *every* category: price and weight go to the ipad2, and Xooms sd card slot hasn't been enabled yet, so until then ipad's storage is better.

youbuntu
April 6th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Not that I can see.

I apologise - I was a little hasty.

Definitely. I have actually used both and, as I said, there were big problems with the Xoom that were evident with just a few minutes of using it. Most people here will always recommend a Linux-based product over an Apple one totally regardless of the actual quality of those products - and often without ever having even tried them.

Hi. As this is a thread upon which the OP is putting a lot of trust (and hope for advice) would you care to explain in more detail, what these "big problems" were, which you encountered with the Xoom?

:) Thanks

JRV
April 7th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I read this post about running Ubuntu on a Nook.
This interests me more than Android. The Android tablet I tried felt like a giant phone that can't make calls. The only thing worse would be a giant phone that could make calls, or an iPad.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10306407#post10306407

oobuntoo
April 7th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Finally! That 0.2 mm was really putting me off... ;)

Hey, didn't you know, thin is in. The thinner the better, nothing else matter :D

kerry_s
April 7th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Hey, didn't you know, thin is in. The thinner the better, nothing else matter :D

screw that! battery life-> screen-> ram-> storage-> android version

akand074
April 7th, 2011, 05:12 AM

I've honestly never been a big fan of Motorola products. Just like the Atrix, it's got some flaws and the motorola UI is pretty ugly (though I hear they have updated it). Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Is gorgeous, with definite better hardware than the iPad 2 and Xoom. I don't think most people recommend it just because it's Linux-based. I've recommended Android over Apple for several reasons that I mentioned in an older post, but the main thing comparing the software is that iOS is hardly an intuitive OS, it's basically just an environment to run and move through apps. Which I mean the super simplicity and focus on apps is attractive to some people, but to people here generally who use Linux-based OS regularly, they aren't new to tweaking/customizing and a little less simplicity so Android can really shine. Not to mention things I've mentioned in the past like how it gets better with time (while apple products usually depreciate, every platform update I've made to my Android phone so far made it run better! While people who updated their iPhone's often found it less to almost unuseable), file browsing capabilities (you can even access your home share folders through wi-fi), Flash 10.2, lack of dependence on iTunes to name a few. iPad definitely has it's audience, but for more power users and people who want to do more, Android is the better choice. Especially with the large amount of custom builds around and the fact that you can add code/make fixes or changes on your own if you want. It's really just what you are going to use it for.

But I mean, isn't that why so many people here use Ubuntu? Because they don't want to be told what they can or can not do with their products? So that they can have the ability to make their own choices and not what is decided for them? (Flash is a good example). I think that's a contributing factor to why people here support Android more, not saying its perfect.

Hyper Tails
April 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
OK everyone, Times up and Now I will come to conclusion.

I want to thank everyone for voting on what I should get or do.

1st Place: Android Tablet (39 Votes)
2nd Place: Forget it and stick to my laptop (29 Votes)
3rd Place: Apple ipad (12 Votes)

For my school work and note taking, I will get an Android Tablet!

I will get an "Motorola Xoom" ( http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Tablets/ci.MOTOROLA-XOOM-US-EN.overview ) I am currently Trying to get a part time job so i can get one (I won't just be getting a job just for the tablet, I will be using it for other stuff like trying to get myself a car when I get my Driver License) Since my 17th birthday is just around the corner, I will put my birthday money towards it if I get any.

Thank you for taking your time to reply to my topic and vote for my poll!

(Solved)

AllRadioisDead
April 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Xoom?
Why waste your money?
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/22/samsung-announces-8-9-inch-galaxy-tab-and-declares-they-have-the-worlds-thinnest-mobile-tablets/

fualad
April 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
For $250 the nook color which you can unlock to run droid.

SPECS:

PCB: Foxconn ML1 S 94V-0

CPU Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering: Open GLES1.1/2.0 Hardware Scaling: 854x480 scaled to 1024x600 Video
Formats: .3GP, .MP4, .3G2 ** Video Codecs: H.263, H.264, MPEG-4, ON2 VP7 ** Image Formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP ** (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X)

RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

Internal Flash: 8GB Sandisk SDIN4C1-8g
Removable Flash: 32GB via microSDHC

Radio: Chip ID Ti wl1271 (kernel reports wl1273) Chip supports bluetooth transmit/recieve and fm radio functions through the same antenna, but is not enabled in software drivers.

Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n Security: WEP/WPA/WPA2/802.1x Mode: Infrastructure

Display: 7" 1024x600 IPS Display w\VividView Cypress Semiconductor TTSP Gen 3 (TMA340) Touchscreen , kernel driver , reference LG Display LD070WS1 (SL)(02) LED Backlight Pixels per
Inch: 169 Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Colors: 16 Million Viewing Angle: 178° (same as HTC 7 Surround and HTC 7 Mozart)

Audio: Ti TLV320DAC3100 Codec 3.5mm Headset Jack (TRS 3-Pole) - no mic input Single Rear Speaker PWM Headphone Amp Headphone Detection Mic Amp and ADC (Mic input not available) Audio Formats: .3GP, .3G2, .MP4, .AMR, .MP3, .MID, .XMF, .MXMF, .RTTL, .OTA, .IMY, .WAV, .OGG, .ACC ** Audio Codecs: ACC, ACC+, AMR, MP3, MIDI, LPCM **

Power Management: Texas Instruments TPS65921 PMIC Integrated Power Management IC with 3 DC/DC's, 4 LDO's, USB HS Transceiver
Battery: "Barnes & Noble" labeled 3.7V 4000mAh 14.8Wh Li-ion battery Battery Life: ~8 hours

Physical Specifications Dimensions: 8.1" (205mm) L x 5" (127mm) W x 0.48" (12.2mm) D Weight: ~15.8oz (~422g)
Micro-B USB 2.0 High-Speed
Accelerometer
Input Virtual QWERTY Keyboard On-Screen Soft-Keys ** 'n' Home button Power\Lock button Volume Up\Down buttons

/2cents

kerry_s
April 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
the acer a500 tablet will be out this month, only $450, cheaper than xoom.

youbuntu
April 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Xoom?
Why waste your money?
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/22/samsung-announces-8-9-inch-galaxy-tab-and-declares-they-have-the-worlds-thinnest-mobile-tablets/

For $250 the nook color which you can unlock to run droid.

SPECS:

PCB: Foxconn ML1 S 94V-0

CPU Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering: Open GLES1.1/2.0 Hardware Scaling: 854x480 scaled to 1024x600 Video
Formats: .3GP, .MP4, .3G2 ** Video Codecs: H.263, H.264, MPEG-4, ON2 VP7 ** Image Formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP ** (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X)

RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

Internal Flash: 8GB Sandisk SDIN4C1-8g
Removable Flash: 32GB via microSDHC

Radio: Chip ID Ti wl1271 (kernel reports wl1273) Chip supports bluetooth transmit/recieve and fm radio functions through the same antenna, but is not enabled in software drivers.

Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n Security: WEP/WPA/WPA2/802.1x Mode: Infrastructure

Display: 7" 1024x600 IPS Display w\VividView Cypress Semiconductor TTSP Gen 3 (TMA340) Touchscreen , kernel driver , reference LG Display LD070WS1 (SL)(02) LED Backlight Pixels per
Inch: 169 Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Colors: 16 Million Viewing Angle: 178° (same as HTC 7 Surround and HTC 7 Mozart)

Audio: Ti TLV320DAC3100 Codec 3.5mm Headset Jack (TRS 3-Pole) - no mic input Single Rear Speaker PWM Headphone Amp Headphone Detection Mic Amp and ADC (Mic input not available) Audio Formats: .3GP, .3G2, .MP4, .AMR, .MP3, .MID, .XMF, .MXMF, .RTTL, .OTA, .IMY, .WAV, .OGG, .ACC ** Audio Codecs: ACC, ACC+, AMR, MP3, MIDI, LPCM **

Power Management: Texas Instruments TPS65921 PMIC Integrated Power Management IC with 3 DC/DC's, 4 LDO's, USB HS Transceiver
Battery: "Barnes & Noble" labeled 3.7V 4000mAh 14.8Wh Li-ion battery Battery Life: ~8 hours

Physical Specifications Dimensions: 8.1" (205mm) L x 5" (127mm) W x 0.48" (12.2mm) D Weight: ~15.8oz (~422g)
Micro-B USB 2.0 High-Speed
Accelerometer
Input Virtual QWERTY Keyboard On-Screen Soft-Keys ** 'n' Home button Power\Lock button Volume Up\Down buttons

/2cents

Explain how that is a better deal, with a worse spec? What do you mean exactly by "to run droid"? Rather vague...

the acer a500 tablet will be out this month, only $450, cheaper than xoom.

Xoom has received VERY good reviews indeed. Merely throwing hardware specs around and talking about how much cheaper X, Y and Z are, means nothing whatsoever. None of you have provided evidence, such as links, photos, YouTube reviews from people who know their stuff, build quality reports, battery life, etc etc etc.

OP has clearly stated the result of the poll, and you're now trying to change his mind after the fact by attempting to make him backtrack?

X may be cheaper than Y, and Z may have MORE specs than Y - so? Who are we to dictate to the OP that he is "wasting" his money? In fact, exactly to the contrary. He has conducted an extensive poll, watched review videos and obviously done his homework; he'd be a fool to go back on an informed purchase decision, just because some other wannabe product is cheaper and/or "better" specced.

Show me another equally specced tablet that runs Android OS 3.0 "Honeycomb" with such flair, IF AT ALL... ;)

1clue
April 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM
OP has clearly stated the result of the poll, and you're now trying to change his mind after the fact by attempting to make him backtrack?

+1.

Show me another equally specced tablet that runs Android OS 3.0 "Honeycomb" with such flair, IF AT ALL... ;)

Actually please don't. I was interested in the original question, I could really care less about the one proposed here.

If you must discuss it please take it to another thread. This one has served its purpose by the OP's statement. Whether you think it is the wrong one or not, the game is over.

youbuntu
April 12th, 2011, 10:33 PM
+1.

Actually please don't. I was interested in the original question, I could really care less about the one proposed here.

If you must discuss it please take it to another thread. This one has served its purpose by the OP's statement. Whether you think it is the wrong one or not, the game is over.
+1 & +1 again :)

BlacqWolf
April 12th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Based on my experience with iOS (the operating system for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad), the iPad isn't all it's said to be. And I'm sure typing will be hard with the iPad's virtual keyboard. I have a friend with an Android phone, and we both LOVE it.

youbuntu
April 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Based on my experience with iOS (the operating system for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad), the iPad isn't all it's said to be. And I'm sure typing will be hard with the iPad's virtual keyboard. I have a friend with an Android phone, and we both LOVE it.

I have had a love/hate relationship with early Android versions. I'm now on 2.2 "Froyo" on my ZTE Blade... and loving it! It still needs refinement, but they refine it all the time... and you can customise it to the hilt! WIN! Once a final, stable 2.3 "Gingerbread" ROM is released, I'm on it!. Nandroid means you can backup your ENTIRE device to SD card in minutes ON THE GO (unlike iTunes where you have to be attached to it, and try migrating those backups... :?). I could go on, but typing is boring me :P

I have no issues with my AOS (Android OS) keyboard at all.

KiwiNZ
April 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Given post 71 and subsequent posts I think Thread Closed is in order

Thank you for participating