PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Compiz effects not worjing

hijiz
April 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM
on my old ubuntu i used compiz for window management. now i installed compiz in my new laptop however none of the efects work i tried using expo, wobly windows and more but nothing happens. how do i fix this?

3Miro
April 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
First go to System -> Prefs -> Appearance and check the Desktop Effects tab to make sure you are not running "None".

It is possible that your hardware doesn't support the effects, can you give us the model of your video card?

hijiz
April 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Something wierd happens when i switch the effects from none to normal or extra and close nothing happens and when i open apearence again none is selected.

Also im sure my computer suports effects i used compiz on it before i upgraded to 10.10 and effects worked perfectly.

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Something wierd happens when i switch the effects from none to normal or extra and close nothing happens and when i open apearence again none is selected.

Also im sure my computer suports effects i used compiz on it before i upgraded to 10.10 and effects worked perfectly.

First thing to do is to go to the terminal and type:

compiz --replace
Then look at the error message. It may be the case that while you can run compiz, some of its extra effects are not supported by your video card. Try to disable some of the animations in CCSM.

Another thing to look at:

What is your video card? You should go to System -> Admin -> additional Drivers and make sure the drivers are installed properly (like if you have Nvidia video card). If the driver is already installed, then you should reinstall it:

1. Remove/Deactivate the driver.
2. Reboot.
3. Activate the Driver.
4. Reboot.

hijiz
April 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks compiz --replace gives me the following.

emilio@emilio-Aspire-one:~$ compiz --replace
libccs: dlopen: /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libgconf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't find a perfect decorator match; trying all decorators
Found no decorator to start
compiz (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
emilio@emilio-Aspire-one:~$

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM
You should reinstall Compiz-Config-Settings-Manager, something went wrong there. Also, make sure you have Windows Decorations enabled and you have the decorator command setup as:

gtk-window-decorator --replace

Also, what video cars is this?

hijiz
April 6th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I use an acer aspire one so i think my card is Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.0) (Intel(R) GMA 950), but im not sure.

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I use an acer aspire one so i think my graphics card is Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.0) (Intel(R) GMA 950), but im not sure.

OK, there is no driver to reinstall, however, Intel video is somewhat weak and probably doesn't support all of the fancy effects. Reinstall CCSM and then check the windows decorations plugin. Try it again and post the output here.

hijiz
April 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM
ok i reinstaled compiz when i add the command

gtk-window-decorator --replace
nothing seems to happen. although once it did install the compiz gnome pakage i didnt copy the outcome.

realzippy
April 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
..maybe your card is blacklisted.
Run:

SKIP_CHECKS=1 compiz

..does compiz start?

hijiz
April 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
No compiz dosnt open and this is the output.

Starting gtk-window-decorator
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/emilio/.compiz/session/10ab9cbeeb390d110f130201323917621300000010600000"

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
ok i reinstaled compiz when i add the command

nothing seems to happen. although once it did install the compiz gnome pakage i didnt copy the outcome.

This command should be entered inside CCSM in the Windows Decoration plugin. There is a place there to put the command. Then you should try tot start compiz again (from terminal with compiz --replace) then give us the error.

3Miro
April 6th, 2011, 03:20 PM
No compiz dosnt open and this is the output.

Go to Home -> Places, then hit Ctr + H and find

.compiz/session/10ab9cbeeb390d110f130201323917621300000010600000

then delete the file.

Then try again.

realzippy
April 6th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.0) (Intel(R) GMA 950), but im not sure.

..to be sure,run:

lspci |grep VGA

Also suggest to reinstall compiz.
If you still having trouble,run forlong's script (http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Check).

realzippy
April 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry for confusing the thread.Will be out now and watch things going...

hijiz
April 7th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks to every one miro3 thank you especialy you were right problem solved.