PDA

View Full Version : Google Bids $900 Million for Nortel Patent Assets

Sporkman
April 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Google has bid $900 million for the patent portfolio of Nortel Networks, the Canadian telecom equipment maker, as part of a strategy to defend itself against patent litigation...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/05/technology/05google.html

handy
April 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Good move.

piquat
April 7th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Heh, at some point in the future, everything is going to come from one company.

The same people that make pesticides will make shoes, cars, cloths, phones... everything. And we'll all work for them, or well, us, as it were. :)

Drenriza
April 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I saw this some days ago.

But remember, Nortel sees googles bid as a minimum offer. ^.- and will see who will bid more.

Lightstar
April 7th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I wish I was an asset

t0p
April 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Of course Google is doing the "right thing" in order to protect itself from possible future legal action. But it's a sorry state of affairs when a company has to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to shield itself from patent trolls. Patents law is ridiculous. The very notion of software patents is like a lunatic's nightmare. Why oh why have software patents been allowed? Copyright law is the way to protect software, not patents on ideas. Remember that patent case on the idea of the "double-click"? Did that ever reach a conclusion?

Also, I hope very much that Google aren't going to become patent trolls themselves. Buying up the Nortel patents as a shield against possible future legal action is one thing; but if Google go on to use their new patents to threaten other companies I will be very disappointed. Google seem to me to be the least nasty of the computing giants. If they stoop down to the level of their peers, my faith in human nature will be dug up from its grave, reanimated, then brutally murdered again. C'mon Google: "don't be evil", right?

Grenage
April 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM
my faith in human nature will be dug up from its grave, reanimated, then brutally murdered again

Lmao.

It is a worry, but those patents are going to go somewhere.

Sporkman
April 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I wish I was an asset

You are an asset to the Ubuntu community!

That, plus $3, will get you a coffee at Starbucks(tm). :)

ukripper
April 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Nature destroys everything.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM

The same people that make pesticides will make shoes, cars, cloths, phones... everything. And we'll all work for them, or well, us, as it were. :)

A future I can see happening is more along the lines of megacorporations growing in scale and power above nation-states. Most people will consider themselves citizens of Google/Microsoft/Apple first, because those entities will play a far larger role in their lives than the federal government, and the FSF and GNU/Linux will evolve into a kind of democratic anarchist movement.

Cracklepop
April 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Also, I hope very much that Google aren't going to become patent trolls themselves. Buying up the Nortel patents as a shield against possible future legal action is one thing; but if Google go on to use their new patents to threaten other companies I will be very disappointed. Google seem to me to be the least nasty of the computing giants. If they stoop down to the level of their peers, my faith in human nature will be dug up from its grave, reanimated, then brutally murdered again. C'mon Google: "don't be evil", right?

Judging by their history you'd have to say they aren't likely to use them offensively.
Google don't lodge new patents at the rate their competitors do (not that they couldn't, if they wanted to), but they still already have a sizable pool, and so far they've only used it to retaliate and force sharing agreements after someone else sues them.

Patents were intended to encourage innovation, but in fact they mainly get used to prevent it...

Google is a fantastic example of proof that innovation can happen without patenting everything and suing anyone that does anything similar to you.

urukrama
April 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Blue Sun.

GWBouge
April 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
A future I can see happening is more along the lines of megacorporations growing in scale and power above nation-states. Most people will consider themselves citizens of Google/Microsoft/Apple first, because those entities will play a far larger role in their lives than the federal government, and the FSF and GNU/Linux will evolve into a kind of democratic anarchist movement.

One could argue whether that's going to happen, is happening, or has already happened.

Sporkman
April 7th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Blue Sun.

Red skies at night
Red skies at night
Oh oh
Oh oh oh oh-oh-oh-oh oh