PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub problem updating 11.04 beta?

legionarius
April 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
At the moment I have a dual boot windows 7 ultimate 64 bit/ubuntu 11.04 beta AMD 64 bit, and everything is working fine. The problem is that the 11.04 is a beta version, so what does it happens to the dual boot when I will update ubuntu to the final version?
I have installed first windows 7, and after ubuntu 11.04 beta. When I update the 11.04 beta to the final version, will I have problems with Grub? I'm asking because I'm installing a lot of things on ubuntu and windows 7, so it would be a big problem if updating the 11.04 beta the grub would stop to work properly. It's the first time I installed a beta version so I don't know very well how to update it, or if there will be problems because of the dual boot with windows 7.
Thanks in advance :)

mörgæs
April 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
There is no technical distinction between alpha, beta and the finished version. They are only snapshots on a continuous development. There is no major change from the last day of alpha to the first day of beta.

This means that if you just update your system as usual using Update Manager, you will get to the final version without any reinstalls.

mörgæs
April 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
By the way, please help spreading the word. There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding this in the fora.

legionarius
April 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thank you very much for the answer :)