PDA

View Full Version : Google Summer Of Code

dimaursu16
April 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
What is your opinion about Google Summer Of Code? It seems to me like a pretty good initiative from Google... By the way..Have anyone of you participate in this project? How is it, and how it works, in general? I've read on their sites, but as usual they assume that you already know what is about.

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I haven't, but a project I follow that participates in it does; so yes, it's a good thing. ReactOS has benefited from it for the past few summer of codes. (Major code updates came from it.)

Npl
April 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hmm, there is alot of information on their site, if you are serious about participating is easy to read up the details, eg the Timeline (http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline).
But the details how you will work depend on which project you choose - eg. working for gnu will require you to hand over your copyright while (most) other projects/organizations will allow you to own your written code.

And its great, did work for it in 2009.

dimaursu16
April 5th, 2011, 06:22 PM
And how it is? It's like going some where, in a camp, and coding there, or like sitting home and working through Internet? Where is happening all the stuff?

gnomeuser
April 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
And how it is? It's like going some where, in a camp, and coding there, or like sitting home and working through Internet? Where is happening all the stuff?

Every student works on his project at home and confer with his/her mentor typically via email.

This year we in Banshee have gotten a number of interesting GSoC proposals and I look forward to helping our new contributors where I can.

Npl
April 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
And how it is? It's like going some where, in a camp, and coding there, or like sitting home and working through Internet? Where is happening all the stuff?There are 3 parties at work.
Google pays
the project/organization (gcc,scummvm,llvm for example) mentors the student
the student does the coding work

how you (the student) work mostly depends on the organization, but usually its working at home over the net (since theres no guarantee you`d be anywhere close to your mentor). You can agree to pretty much anything with your organization, there arent strict rules - its a matter of talking to them.
The only thing required (from google) is that your code ends up Opensource, and they want some confirmation of the work done after all (else no moneyz).

I dont know if you think about joining, but if you do you should simply talk to some guys involved with the project you plan to work for, cause they are the only ones that tell/discuss with you how you gonna work for them. And do it now rather than later.

wrtpeeps
April 6th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I've often wondered about this. What's in it for google? What do they get out of it?