PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia pushed a mystery update into windows update

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
If I run the update; I can't rollback (I'd have to reinstall, since I need the monitor to rollback :V) if the graphics don't work. I don't like random updates that aren't on the manufacturer's site. I had it with realtek once, and it ganked my ethernet, forcing me to reinstall the old driver, since Windows Rollback couldn't fix the problem at the time ( Win98 )

I sent a ticket to nvidia, but I'll have to wait three days :V

Also, an image of the update(s) I have, the website has, and windows update has: http://i.imgur.com/Glfos.png

sydbat
April 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
If I run the update; I can't rollback (I'd have to reinstall, since I need the monitor to rollback :V) if the graphics don't work. I don't like random updates that aren't on the manufacturer's site. I had it with realtek once, and it ganked my ethernet, forcing me to reinstall the old driver, since Windows Rollback couldn't fix the problem at the time ( Win98 )

I sent a ticket to nvidia, but I'll have to wait three days :V

Also, an image of the update(s) I have, the website has, and windows update has: http://i.imgur.com/Glfos.pngOnly update if it will fix any problems you might be experiencing. Otherwise, only get updates from the NVIDIA site.

DoktorSeven
April 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've gotten the occasional Windows Update for a driver for my ATi card. I just uncheck/disable it and keep on getting real driver updates from AMD's site.

Just more Windows weirdness, I suppose.

doorknob60
April 6th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I don't trust the drivers Windows update likes to install. Most of the time it seems like OpenGL doesn't work with them, what a surprise :P

Lucradia
April 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I don't trust the drivers Windows update likes to install. Most of the time it seems like OpenGL doesn't work with them, what a surprise :P

Back when we still used Windows 2000 and earlier; Microsoft was interested in backing openGL. Until they made Windows XP. (A lot of the screensavers that were 3D under MS and other MS-based 3D programs, etc. had options that told you that you either needed DirectX or OpenGL, or both, or you could switch between openGL and DX.

Foxcow
April 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM

I second this sentiment. Anytime a driver is available from the manufacturer's site, thats what I use.

In Win7, you can right click on the update and "hide" it. I don't remember if you can in XP but thats what I recommend.

Frogs Hair
April 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I got an update for Nvidia drivers on Windows for a drivers that I've had for a month , it took that long for it to reach the Windows update library. The update included unrelated software such as the Nvidia system monitor , Ntune , and the Nvidia automatic updater . Windows update doesn't offer a custom installation option, you end up installing what ever is packaged.