PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Ethernet port

ki4jgt
April 5th, 2011, 04:55 AM
These have been around forever:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Wireless+phone+jack&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=243420074284252983&sa=X&ei=mpCaTfWCOsuRgQfC_KiBBw&ved=0CEoQ8wIwBA

My question is:
Do they make any of these for ethernet ports?

My situation:
I have two buildings which need wireless coverage from the same wireless network. There is a building inbetween both of them (All three are owned by the same person) The middle building and the last building are about 1000 feet apart. The last building can get wifi from the first building When the computer is in the window. If the wifi adapter from the fist building is plsced into a window in the first building, the wifi is extended about three feet into the last building.

What I'm wanting to achieve:
I want to get a wireless ethernet adapter to create a wireless ethernet port to the second building from the wired network in the first, and place the wireless device in the second.

Zerocool Djx
April 5th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Those things are a waste of money, buy a real router...

cheapie
April 5th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Can't you just place a repeater in the middle building?

ki4jgt
April 5th, 2011, 05:33 AM
all the repeaters I found are anywhere from $80 - $1000. The owner has a $20 dollar budget. Since the phone ones were $4 I though maybe $20 dollars would cover an ethernet alternative. I've also thought about the WRT router firmware. (on another router for repeater functionality) The WRT was incompatible :-(

CharlesA
April 5th, 2011, 06:07 AM
If you can run ethernet to another router, model doesn't matter, it would act as a "repeater" but only cuz it's hardwired.

lz1dsb
April 5th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Why don't you use a wireless router? I'm doing something similar with three WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT. But off course you'll need a higher budget than $20. The last time I checked one WRT router was costing something like $50...

Cheers,
Boyan

Grenage
April 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
These have been around forever:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Wireless+phone+jack&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=243420074284252983&sa=X&ei=mpCaTfWCOsuRgQfC_KiBBw&ved=0CEoQ8wIwBA

My question is:
Do they make any of these for ethernet ports?

My situation:
I have two buildings which need wireless coverage from the same wireless network. There is a building inbetween both of them (All three are owned by the same person) The middle building and the last building are about 1000 feet apart. The last building can get wifi from the first building When the computer is in the window. If the wifi adapter from the fist building is plsced into a window in the first building, the wifi is extended about three feet into the last building.

What I'm wanting to achieve:
I want to get a wireless ethernet adapter to create a wireless ethernet port to the second building from the wired network in the first, and place the wireless device in the second.

Do it properly: Fibre the buildings, place access points in each building.
Do it... ok: Ethernet runs between buildings, or directional wifi tranceivers.
Do it horribly: throw a router in the second building, with the same SSID and a different channel, then wire up to the first.

You could do the latter with a couple of homeplug adapters, if the units are on the same phase. It won't be at all pretty, but it would probably work; at $20 I'm not sure what anyone could do.

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Why don't you use a wireless router? I'm doing something similar with three WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT. But off course you'll need a higher budget than $20. The last time I checked one WRT router was costing something like $50...

The least expensive router as such, there is no wireless router lower than 50 (49.99) USD :| unless it's on clearance (IE: Menards D-Link Wireless N, like I have.)

juancarlospaco
April 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
easy, buy a 5.8 wifi equipment instead of 2.4 and dont need to do strange things, it will work.

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
easy, buy a 5.8 wifi equipment instead of 2.4 and dont need to do strange things, it will work.

b/g isn't 5.8; and not everyone has a/n.