PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Samba issue? VM clients keep giving IO error

nosebreaker
April 5th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I have a Ubuntu 10.04 desktop VM that is running torrent software, and it is saving the files to a samba share (which is actually the host it is running on). I have also tested from another Ubuntu box on the network and it experiences the same problem.

The problem I am having is that any torrent client on a Ubuntu machine or VM can't save to the samba share, but a WinXP torrent client can download the same torrent and save to the share with no problem.

I created a public share, and the problem seems to be that I cannot edit files after I create them. It seems that samba is ignoring the create mask and creating files as rw-r--r-- instead of rw-rw-rw-

I even tried adding the "unix extensions = yes" option and that didn't seem to work either.

[global]

# map any unknown username to nobody so login succeeds, don't forget to run:
# smbpasswd -an nobody
# so that it will work!
guest account = nobody
map to guest = bad user

security = share

[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /public
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
read only = no
browsable = yes
guest only = yes
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777

nosebreaker
April 5th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I tried changing the mask to 664 and 775, and now when I edit files on the command line they are rw-rw-r-- which should work, but the torrent applications create files as rw-r--r-- still! I tried unmounting/remounting the share and reloading the torrent app.

nosebreaker
April 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Oh what the heck, Transmission works fine, and doesn't ignore the umask, so I'm just going to use that.

nosebreaker
April 7th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Nevermind, Transmission only works for files that don't come in a subdirectory. Argh forget it, I'll just use Windows. Confirmed, Windows works fine.

nosebreaker
November 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
I finally got this to work. The answer was in setting "force directory mode = 0777" as an option on the share. I had read earlier that the keyword "mask" and "mode" mean the same thing for the file-level option, but apparently you MUST use the keyword mode for directory. You also have to set the directory security modes, this is my config section:

[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /public
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
printable = no
force directory mode = 0777
create mask = 0777
force create mode = 0777
security mask = 0000
force security mode = 0777