PDA

View Full Version : One extremely annoying bug in Unity..

Shmantiv_Radio
April 5th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Trying to drag and drop something into one of the Places folders is impossible as the Unity Dock instantly appears before you get close enough to drop the file, and covers the folder!

Otherwise I'm actually liking Unity so far :)

Sashin
April 5th, 2011, 03:05 AM
What do you mean?

Shmantiv_Radio
April 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM
What do you mean?

I mean what I said. If the Nautilus window is maximized and you try and drag something into a folder in the Places menu you can't as the dock pops up and gets in the way.

As it is it's not much of a problem compared to the fact that Canonical are still shipping broken drivers.

Sloppy.

juancarlospaco
April 5th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Use a different "Hide Dock" feature selection.
:)

Shmantiv_Radio
April 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM

So how do I do that? There isn't an obvious way to do so.
It also doesn't change the fact that it's the (current) default dock action.

wolfen69
April 5th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Or you could just keep your nautilus windows at 90% fullsize so that doesn't occur. ;)

madjr
April 5th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Or you could just keep your nautilus windows at 90% fullsize so that doesn't occur. ;)

but most of us use it maximized, specially now.

anyway, yes its a bit annoying, probably the devs havent noticed the problem, so still time to fix this.

i think the launcher should not appear unless you drag a folder to the BFB

@OP, give us a link to the bug report, so we can help you vote/follow it.

mc4man
April 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Other than the 'never' hide mode the launcher will always expose when dragging a file (intended behavior), but it doesn't prevent from dropping into the intended target in places
The entries in places 'highlight' across the complete panel which the launcher can't cover. (at least as seen here w/ the default 48px icon size which can be made smaller

Maybe they could create the opposite of the super button - keep launcher hidden or at some point make the drag function an option.

slackthumbz
April 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
but most of us use it maximized, specially now.

anyway, yes its a bit annoying, probably the devs havent noticed the problem, so still time to fix this.

i think the launcher should not appear unless you drag a folder to the BFB

@OP, give us a link to the bug report, so we can help you vote/follow it.

"most of us"

And where precisely did you get a statistical metric to back up that general assertion?

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
"most of us"

And where precisely did you get a statistical metric to back up that general assertion?

The 60+% of people who just install ubuntu, and leave it alone.

juancarlospaco
April 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Run "about:config" on Dash

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Run "about:config" on Dash

then? :V

I lol'd.

juancarlospaco
April 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM

slackthumbz
April 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
The 60+% of people who just install ubuntu, and leave it alone.

Got a source for that figure?

BrokenKingpin
April 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I tried Unity last night in the 11.04 beta... I have to say I hate it even more than I thought I would.

madjr
April 5th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I tried Unity last night in the 11.04 beta... I have to say I hate it even more than I thought I would.

why exactly?

cgroza
April 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
why exactly?
Because it is Unity. Because it is new, shiny and better than gnome 2 which will die because of the progress!

BrokenKingpin
April 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Because it is Unity. Because it is new, shiny and better than gnome 2 which will die because of the progress!
No actually. Maybe terrible was the wrong word to use, but it is really the opposite of how I want to use my desktop. I just found it very irritating to use. I much prefer a standard panel layout and applications menu. XFCE gives me the simplicity and flexibility I need.

That being said, I think it is great that Ubuntu is finally doing something different than just taking the standard DE and packing it a little better than the other Distos, it is just unfortunate I do not like the end result.

madjr
April 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
No actually. Maybe terrible was the wrong word to use, but it is really the opposite of how I want to use my desktop. I just found it very irritating to use. I much prefer a standard panel layout and applications menu. XFCE gives me the simplicity and flexibility I need.

That being said, I think it is great that Ubuntu is finally doing something different than just taking the standard DE and packing it a little better than the other Distos, it is just unfortunate I do not like the end result.

well, not everyone is ready to use it for now and that's ok.

It still has its strong points, but there are plenty of other DE options in linux for every taste.

undecim
April 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Got a source for that figure?

The figure doesn't matter. It could be 0%, and this would still be a bug if you have to do additional work to make your system work properly.

uRock
April 5th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I see what the OP means, but I also see where it would be a problem if someone were to be trying to drop the folder into the Unity panel if it didn't so easily appear when needed. Either way will be a problem for someone.:(

undecim
April 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Solution: Move nautilus sidebar to the right.

juancarlospaco
April 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I see what the OP means, but I also see where it would be a problem if someone were to be trying to drop the folder into the Unity panel if it didn't so easily appear when needed. Either way will be a problem for someone.:(

Disable the AutoHide, use another.
I got it like 32 pixel icons and Fixed with no problem to do such thing.

Johnsie
April 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
IMO unity itself is a bug. I ended up switching to classic mode on Natty because unity just makes launching applications a pain. There were no benefits at all, just a hinderence.

uRock
April 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Disable the AutoHide, use another.
I got it like 32 pixel icons and Fixed with no problem to do such thing.

I usually hit F3 to open a second a second pane when relocating files and folders, so this problem doesn't really effect me.

nrundy
April 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I mean what I said. If the Nautilus window is maximized and you try and drag something into a folder in the Places menu you can't as the dock pops up and gets in the way.

As it is it's not much of a problem compared to the fact that Canonical are still shipping broken drivers.

Sloppy.

This is exactly the reasons why I HATE:
1.) having the launcher on the left side (as opposed to the right side)

2.) having task/panel/launcher bars that auto-hide.

I really wish Unity would let users position the Launcher on the right-side of the screen. If it does auto-hide though it should only appear if the cursor is explicitly moved to the upper left hand corner. This would prevent this problem you are experiencing.

nrundy
April 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I usually hit F3 to open a second a second pane when relocating files and folders, so this problem doesn't really effect me.

I don't understand this. Both panes contain the same stuff. What are you relocating that isn't already represented in the other pane?

uRock
April 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I don't understand this. Both panes contain the same stuff. What are you relocating that isn't already represented in the other pane?

Lol, I only opened that window for demonstration of the dual panes. Both side are usually not the same.

nrundy
April 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Lol, I only opened that window for demonstration of the dual panes. Both side are usually not the same.

Well I'm trying to understand how I can use this feature you are describing. Could you explain how you use it, when you use it. I've never understood the purpose of having those two panes open like that.

uRock
April 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hit F3 and when the second pane opens, click on it, then you can navigate it wherever you want it and you can drag and drop or right click files, then select Copy to other pane.

nrundy
April 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Okay, so it allows you to easily copy things to other places within Nautilus.

thanks

Lucradia
April 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Can we put the unity bar at the bottom? :V

uRock
April 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I am sure Unity will get more customizable as development progresses.

Lucradia
April 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Didn't they say that about GNOME 3's GNOME Shell? Have we seen more customization there? As in, can we move the stuff around on the GNOME 3 panels, etc? Without going into a file and editing code by hand?

aliqasemi
February 1st, 2013, 01:28 AM
I hope this bug gets fixed, I don't use unity dock (but use other features like launcher, or alt and alt+f2 functionalities) and use cairo-dock instead. It is really annoying that unity dock pops up when I drag anything, for example a picture in firefox, or a file in nautilus,

I am using Ubuntu 12.04

craig10x
February 1st, 2013, 01:50 AM
I hope this bug gets fixed, I don't use unity panel (but use other features like launcher, or alt and alt+f2 functionalities) and use cairo-dock instead. It is really annoying that unity panel pops up when I drag anything, for example a picture in firefox, or a file in nautilus,

I am using Ubuntu 12.04

Were you aware that when you installed cairo dock from the software center, a seperate cairo dock session is set up on your log in (just click the little cog thingy when you are logging in)

You have a choice of Cairo Dock Session with unity panel on top but no unity dock on the side...OR Cairo Dock Session with standard panel on top (which means no global menu nor some of the icons you normally see up there) and no unity dock on the side...

When i was using Cairo Dock, i used it in the session with unity panel on top because i like the global menu and the other stuff up there)...

I don't use Cairo Dock anymore because i got use to and now very much like Unity....but Cairo is a nice alternate choice :P:

oldos2er
February 1st, 2013, 02:07 AM
Unity has changed quite a bit since April 2011. That said, support questions regarding Unity should go in the support areas of the forum. Old thread closed.