PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of slackware?

Dustin2128
April 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I've been using slackware as my sole desktop OS for a few months now, but I got fed up with lack of dependency resolution so I installed a mint side by side today. Slack was a pain to get set up, but once it was, it was excellent to work with.

Technoviking
April 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I always enjoyed using Slackware on a server, but never had much luck or love using it on a laptop (which I usually use for a desktop).

T-V

bodhi.zazen
April 5th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I like Slackware, but the biggest downside is exactly that - small repos.

If I am going to go through the effort of using slackbuilds, well then I am going to go with Arch or Gentoo.

There are some interesting spinoffs including Zenwalk (I want to check out the openbox version) and Slax.

Still, I tend to use Arch over Slackware.

andrew.46
April 5th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I've been using slackware as my sole desktop OS for a few months now, but I got fed up with lack of dependency resolution so I installed a mint side by side today.

There is of course no automated dependency resolution, such resolution is left to the user and is very, very effective with an experienced user.

Slack was a pain to get set up, but once it was, it was excellent to work with.

I hope you stay with Slackware long enough to install 13.37 which should be coming out very soon, it is a huge improvement from 13.1. I attach a screenshot of slackware -current as of April 5 running on my laptop which is pretty close to the release version, the kernel being used is not part of the stock release :).

Slackware is huuuuuuge fun and I would strongly recommend it to experienced Linux users and novices who want to jump in at the deep end!

3Miro
April 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM
When it comes Slack's KDE package, when I first tried it, it was a big WOW! I think this is the best KDE I have seen out of Kubuntu, Arch, Gentoo (maybe should have read more on the flags) and Sabayon.

On the other hand, Slackbuilds were way too much hassle for me. I don't like how many hoops I have to jump to get some basic packges installed, like the Nvidia driver, some codecs, LaTeX, some editors ... then I have to keep everything updated in the exact same manual way.

Interestingly Salix seems to have a larger repository and it is a great XFCE implementation. I stick with Gentoo only because I got the XFCE build flags right (from the 3d or 4th attempt).

inkrypted
April 5th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Slack is certainly not as plug n play as the rest of the crowd but it was my first taste of Linux and it holds a certain nostalgia for me and I do have it running on a box but I tend to use Kubuntu much more these days.

wolfen69
April 5th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I tried it once, but quickly dropped it. I may give it a go again someday, but in vbox first.

I guess I don't have a lot of patience these days for distros that require a ton of tweaking and reading.

boydrice
April 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I run Slackware the majority of the time and really enjoy it. No other distro has taught me as much about Linux as Slackware.

Oh and while Slackware doesn't ship GNOME the fantastic GSB (gnomeslackbuild) is a dead simple way to get a great GNOME desktop on Slackware. If I want a GNOME-centric desktop I just untick KDE and Xfce during install and the do the automated net-install of GSB.

Also a must if you try Slackware you have to get Sbopkg for an easy way to use the Slackbuilds.org repos.

I am a DVD subscriber to the Slackware store and I can't wait for 13.37!

Spice Weasel
April 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I have been interested in Wolvix (http://wolvix.org/) (based on Slackware) recently and I like it a lot. Does anyone know what is happening to it? Seems really inactive. :(

bodhi.zazen
April 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I have been interested in Wolvix (http://wolvix.org/) (based on Slackware) recently and I like it a lot. Does anyone know what is happening to it? Seems really inactive. :(

Wolvix is (was) a fantastic distro, but has been inactive as you have found.

closest might be Slax or perhaps ? Zenwalk

Spice Weasel
April 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for recommending Slax, it looks really good. I'm trying to install it in a VM now, but get errors on mounting the ext3 partition.

mkdir /mnt/slax/
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/slax/

returns a no such file or directory error. :(