PDA

View Full Version : Other OS/Distro Talk re-opened

Technoviking
April 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Due to popular demand, the Ubuntu Forums has re-opened the Other OS/Distro Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=401) area for the forums. You may post any question or comments you may have about other operating systems and other Linux distros in this forums. There are some rules specific to this forum.

The will be only one forum using prefix tags for all other OS/distro talk. Having an unique forums for every OS/distro was too much of a load, not only on the hardware but the forums staff also.
Do not ask question related to Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc... in that forum. Ask those question in the General Ubuntu question areas.
The Other OS/Distro talk welcome all questions about this topic, but respect the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. OS/Distro bashing/flaming will not be allowed!!!

Thanks,
T-V

youbuntu
April 5th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Wow, you're a brave man to do that :?

Sporkman
April 5th, 2011, 01:11 AM
'C' is for cookie.

That's good enough for me.

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Interesting. I suppose it is an ok idea.

DeadSuperHero
April 5th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Do to popular demand, the Ubuntu Forums has

*due.

But in all seriousness, this ought to be exciting.

Giant Speck
April 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM
This should be interesting...

unknownPoster
April 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM
What's next?

Reopening OMGPP?

I remember the uproar over when OOST was closed...I doubt it will ever be the same.

kevdog
April 5th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Excellent -- thank you.

Technoviking
April 5th, 2011, 03:40 AM
What's next?

Reopening OMGPP?

I remember the uproar over when OOST was closed...I doubt it will ever be the same.

Probably not, but we hope people will be ok with the compromise.

T-V

Philsoki
April 5th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Why can't you upgrade the servers? Is it because it's too expensive or some other reason? But, awesome!

Technoviking
April 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM
*due.

But in all seriousness, this ought to be exciting.

http://donald-harris.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/picard-facepalm2.jpg

unknownPoster
April 5th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Not sure if I'm clear on one part.

Are the threads going to automatically die after 30 days regardless of activity?

Wouldn't it make more sense for threads to die after 30 days of inactivity?

Technoviking
April 5th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Not sure if I'm clear on one part.

Are the threads going to automatically die after 30 days regardless of activity?

Wouldn't it make more sense for threads to die after 30 days of inactivity?

Limitation of the software.

T-V

handy
April 5th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Limitation of the software.

T-V

Limitation of my telepathic abilities?

Technoviking
April 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Limitation of my telepathic abilities?

Just as I said, the software has a limitation can cannot differ between active or inactive thread.

handy
April 5th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Just as I said, the software has a limitation can cannot differ between active or inactive thread.

I was hoping I misunderstood that.

That sucks.

wolfen69
April 5th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Other OS Talk was awesome. Glad to see it back.

http://advancedlifeskills.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Celebrate-Life.jpg
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/8344273/2/istockphoto_8344273-balloons-and-confetti.jpg

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Awesome

handy
April 5th, 2011, 05:53 AM
In the Other OS/Distro Talk thread, I've posted an offer to host any how-to's that people write, at Spiralinear.org so that they don't get deleted after 30 days.

This should also hopefully encourage people to write them, knowing that they can survive for people's future reference.

Anyway, it is up to the user's to do with it as they will. PM me if you have such a post that you want saved?

Spice Weasel
April 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Awesome. May I ask why it was closed?

Giant Speck
April 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Awesome. May I ask why it was closed?
It was, to the best of my memory, becoming a burden on the server. On top of that, OS bashing had started to to overshadow any actual help people were getting in that forum.

handy
April 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM
It was, to the best of my memory, becoming a burden on the server. On top of that, OS bashing had started to to overshadow any actual help people were getting in that forum.

I don't remember OS bashing being a problem at all.

I do remember the servers having real problems back then. After The Backyard & Other OS Talk, were shut down, we limped along for a while longer & then from memory Canonical got involved & supplied the server upgrade & "I think" the forum may have become a part of Canonical.

Did Ubuntu Geek, own the Ubuntu Forums originally?

Did Canonical buy the Ubuntu Forums from Ubuntu Geek, back when they supplied the servers for the Ubuntu Forum in not the most recent upgrade but that one before?

I probably knew this stuff, but my memory is shrinking fast...

urukrama
April 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM
On top of that, OS bashing had started to to overshadow any actual help people were getting in that forum.

I don't remember anyone bashing other OSes. In my memory, the discussions were fairly civil there, and very informative. Some of the most mature forum members were very active posters there.

Glad to see it back, even in this compromised state.

Giant Speck
April 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Perhaps I'm just misremembering things. It's been a very long time since the Other OS forum has been around, and all of the original posts and threads have long since been deleted.

Lucradia
April 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Perhaps I'm just misremembering things. It's been a very long time since the Other OS forum has been around, and all of the original posts and threads have long since been deleted.

Not just old... OxyOld!

Err, super old, I mean. I hope they disallowed bean count in there this time.