PDA

View Full Version : When it's not the software........ho hum

Fenris_rising
April 4th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Having repaired my stepson's eee pc, new DC socket, the Xubuntu install went swirly upon reboot.

So once more I loaded a flavour of Ubuntu onto the memory stick and installed Maverick on it instead.

Then the fun began. The previously rock solid wireless dropped out all over the shop. The signal was up, down off, reconnecting, on, off............

Two days spent trawling the web and this forum applying many diverse patches, fixes and uttering oaths followed all to no avail.

I did start to notice a pattern towards the end of my sanity though. Near the router fine. Across the room 'issues'.

So I popped the access hatch off and stared hard at the to empty sockets on the wireless card...........

Before you ask. Yes the wireless is now rock solid thank you......ho hum

regards

Fenris the slightly embarrassed

Irihapeti
April 4th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Reminds me of the time when I couldn't figure why a machine wouldn't boot (apart from liveCD). I opened it up and discovered that the one and only hard drive was disconnected...

Fenris_rising
September 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
I've been bitten on the **** myself now.

My Ubuntu PC started logging out randomly. After a lot of head scratching, re install as a last resort, followed by messing with the GPU drivers and Xorg.conf. Firefox 6 crashing and locking the PC up not to mention splash screen loops caused by whatever I did to aggravate the nvidia install.

So opened her up hoovered, stripped down, put everything back together and took out the 3rd HDD I'd added. Why?

The PSU wasn't up to powering everything. The clue to this guess was the slight flicker of the dual screens and noticing their illuminated power buttons changing from green to the amber indicating standby normally, and back again.......

So the result at this time is one PC running perfectly under Ubuntu once more. Very relieved I am to and I'm having a whale of a time playing with the Compiz flying windows screensaver :P

One thing I have noticed is the graphics are running even better. I noticed that nouveau bits seemed to be remaining present even after blacklisting them and installing the nvidia 280 drivers during the 'attempted' login fix. very fast and the 'flying windows' works outside the cube, no solid black cube walls, as well as inside the cube now.

regards

Fenris

PS. Happiness is an OS based on Linux