PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 Add item to notification area

DryChili
April 4th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hello!

How can I add an item to the notification area? Right click and add does not work with natty!

Copper Bezel
April 4th, 2011, 10:59 PM
In the Unity interface, the notification area is fixed - it only displays running daemons that support the appindicator spec. What are you trying to add, specifically?

truant
April 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about this too.

I like to have a cpu/memory/etc monitor in my top panel, and a stickykeys notification applet and so on.

DryChili
April 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'd like to add a wheater applet and the system monitor (memory, cpu, network usage).

Why is that area fixed? In my eyes thats a regression and complete nonsense.

truant
April 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Personal preferences for cpu, weather and so on applets aside, not having a Keyboard Status Notification is a SERIOUS accessibility issue.

Like, "I'm going back to Debian" kind of serious. I can't use my computer without stickykeys, and stickykeys without notifications doesn't work.

Ubuntu won't be the first OS I've chucked because of broken accessibility. I shall be sad to see it go though.

Copper Bezel
April 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I can't imagine a major a11y item like that wouldn't be ported over to the Appindicator framework. That's just absurd. File a bug if it's not there yet.

mick222
April 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Like, "I'm going back to Debian" kind of serious. I can't use my computer without stickykeys, and stickykeys without notifications doesn't work.

Why not just use the classic desktop that will still be included, instead of throwing a hissy fit. Of course if you prefer Debian you should use it instead.

truant
April 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I can't imagine a major a11y item like that wouldn't be ported over to the Appindicator framework. That's just absurd. File a bug if it's not there yet.

Way ahead of you. :)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/751207

And Mick, calm down. I'm not throwing anything. Of course I'll run Debian if that's what I prefer to do, and one of the best things about the whole FLOSS movement is that I get to make that choice. I just think it's potentially a great shame that those of us with physical access problems might be excluded from using Unity, is all.

Copper Bezel
April 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Excellent. = )

Dutch70
April 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM

And Mick, calm down. I'm not throwing anything. Of course I'll run Debian if that's what I prefer to do, and one of the best things about the whole FLOSS movement is that I get to make that choice. I just think it's potentially a great shame that those of us with physical access problems might be excluded from using Unity, is all.

You're not. Not yet anyway, you can still login to the Gnome or classic DE, whatever it's called. At least until 11.10.

truant
April 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM
You're not. Not yet anyway, you can still login to the Gnome or classic DE, whatever it's called. At least until 11.10.

Unity, not Ubuntu. :)

Anyway, I've just discovered the same issue exists in GNOME Shell, so it's off to their bugzilla I go..

DryChili
April 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Copper if I undertand you correctly the interface to this notification area has changed. But customization is still possible. Is there any app around which shows cpu/mem/net usage?

Copper Bezel
April 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Since my knowledge of Unity is all second-hand - I've used a highly customized Classic Gnome until very recently, and now I'm using Compiz Standalone with parts of Gnome - I'm actually not the person to ask. Unity does use a new notification area (called an Appindicator tray) and only applications designed to be compatible with that spec will be supported. It's fairly random - WebUpD8 has had some posts lately on applications that are newly supported, but it's likely to be a slow and incomplete process depending on what you're looking for. Something like StickyKeys is certain to be supported soon. Others are less likely, and the more "third-party" the applet, the less likely it is to be ported.

nLinked
April 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Copper if I undertand you correctly the interface to this notification area has changed. But customization is still possible. Is there any app around which shows cpu/mem/net usage?

I've ended up using indicator-sysmonitor for this. Not as good but better than nothing.