PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see in an Internet Web Browser?

MichealH
April 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm starting a new project and I am wondering what types of features you would like to see, It is written in Python :)

You can join ##connary on irc.freenode.net :D

Oh and, Hi, Its been a while :)

BTW: Im not too sure this needs a poll as everyone is different. :)

dh04000
April 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Fork a already working project. Go from there. Done.

youbuntu
April 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'd like to see web pages displayed - that's always useful.

Simian Man
April 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Why would you start yet another web browser project if you don't already have some idea of what you want it to do differently?

kostageas
April 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I want it to be fast, take up very little screen real estate, have a logical interface, tons of adons that wont slow it down, bookmarks, and tabbed browsing. Oops. I think I just described Firefox 4.0

jerenept
April 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM
i want it to be fast, take up very little screen real estate, have a logical interface, tons of adons that wont slow it down, bookmarks, and tabbed browsing. Oops. I think i just described firefox 4.0

+9001

aysiu
April 4th, 2011, 11:28 PM
On the desktop/laptop, Firefox does everything I want a web browser to do.

We just need better web browsers for Android. I've tried Browser, Skyfire, Opera, xScope, Dolphin, and a whole slew of others. None is really that amazing. Right now I'm using Dolphin because it's better than the rest, but even Dolphin could use some improvement in its interface.

Legendary_Bibo
April 5th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I want it to be Firefox 4

galacticaboy
April 5th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I want to see nothing but the tabs, and the address bar. I do not like all of the fancy plug-ins and themes, I just want a browser that focuses on just that, browsing.

Sporkman
April 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I want it to entertain me when I'm bored.

I also want websites to be able to operate robotic arms that are attached to the user's computer via USB and/or Intel's new optical connection technology.

WinterMadness
April 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Make it so that when its downloading a page it gets the dimensions of the images first and allows to the page to load around it.

The reason I say this, is because if one is browsing the page often shakes its self up while its loading causing one to lose their place of reading.

Dont allow sites that perform redirects to load scripts, or ask the user if they want to redirect, WHILE still being able to look at the page thats forcing the redirect.

pi3.1415926535...
April 5th, 2011, 01:53 AM
To really make an amazing browser, or most things in fact, one must forget their pre-conceptions of what a browser is, because some changes do not even occur, because they are so foreign to the modern web browser. I think a mind-navigated browser would be good.:lolflag:

MichealH
April 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
:lolflag: at the comments here

Darth Penguin
April 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Having built-in script management like the Notscripts extension where you can opt out(or in) of scripts on websites would be a good idea.

WinterMadness
April 6th, 2011, 11:38 PM
also make sure the scroll bars are the OPPOSITE color to the color they lay on top of

too often its white on top of grey. This is a bad idea. the scroll bar its self needs to be black, while the rest of the "scroll area" needs to be white

Cracklepop
April 6th, 2011, 11:57 PM
1. 100% compliance with standards.

2. Lots of space for content.

3. Very fast, easy access to bookmarks, displayed visually as thumbnails. One click would be best, but that clashes with my previous requirement, so two clicks will do.

4. Something like FF add-ons: a way for devs to write plugins for other cool features (eg noflash, adblock, noscript, betterprivacy, httpsEverywhere...)

alexfish
April 7th, 2011, 02:54 AM
a simple one
and without the need for plug-ins to stop those annoying, dancing, follow me , chase me, follow you , thingy ma jigs , or what ever they call them thingy ma jigs.

Durham , cor ,got nice river for fishing has Durham.

years ago , didn't get much work in Durham , to many distractions , including the fish

so it intrigues me , as to reason which is motivating you to take on such a project

Legendary_Bibo
April 7th, 2011, 03:26 AM
a simple one
and without the need for plug-ins to stop those annoying, dancing, follow me , chase me, follow you , thingy ma jigs , or what ever they call them thingy ma jigs.

Durham , cor ,got nice river for fishing has Durham.

years ago , didn't get much work in Durham , to many distractions , including the fish

so it intrigues me , as to reason which is motivating you to take on such a project

I understand that English isn't your native language, but I think you might want to rewrite what you just said. It didn't make a lick of sense.

Darth Penguin
April 7th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I understand that English isn't your native language, but I think you might want to rewrite what you just said. It didn't make a lick of sense.He's from England, you're not being very nice. Cor blimey. :/

MichealH
April 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Having built-in script management like the Notscripts extension where you can opt out(or in) of scripts on websites would be a good idea.

I was thinking of something like that, like a browser API that people can use.

also make sure the scroll bars are the OPPOSITE color to the color they lay on top of

too often its white on top of grey. This is a bad idea. the scroll bar its self needs to be black, while the rest of the "scroll area" needs to be white

I sorta get what you are saying there... I think that has to do with the theme, not the browser.

1. 100% compliance with standards.

2. Lots of space for content.

3. Very fast, easy access to bookmarks, displayed visually as thumbnails. One click would be best, but that clashes with my previous requirement, so two clicks will do.

4. Something like FF add-ons: a way for devs to write plugins for other cool features (eg noflash, adblock, noscript, betterprivacy, httpsEverywhere...)

Noted. I am thinking of making a start page with bookmarks and a bookmark page also, so i can keep it minimal.

I want to change the way most people see browsers, many think they are chunky and have unnecessary features, not alot of content space and most really are Not Notebook Friendly. Also, this could lead to a series of software in the many years(or decades) to come.

eriktheblu
April 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Better proxy management. At work I switch between 3 proxies in order to keep a reasonable connection speed (whether the servers get overloaded, or just quit I don't know). Right now I use a Firefox addon, but even that is trial and error. Bee nice to have something that automatically configured to the fastest proxy available.

XFDL support would be nice, but something tells me not very high demand.

Smart card support is nice too

MichealH
April 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Connary Is here!

You can download the .deb at http://ubuntuone.com/p/llI/

It s in _very_ early alpha stage and I am calling for developers!

cgroza
April 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
The web page I want to visit...

KL_72_TR
April 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Why would you start yet another web browser project if you don't already have some idea of what you want it to do differently?
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I don't think this is right.
He is trying to start something, he's asking for help and we are responding, helping him achieve his goal.
What I would like to see in a browser: Security and speed are obligatory, but I was thinking about a 3D navigating space. We are used with all the other browsers who are almost the same and 2D graphic, not giving a better and deeper browsing condition.
That's all for now. If something else will come in my mind later I'll post.

alaukikyo
April 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
We just need better web browsers for Android. I've tried Browser, Skyfire, Opera, xScope, Dolphin, and a whole slew of others. None is really that amazing. Right now I'm using Dolphin because it's better than the rest, but even Dolphin could use some improvement in its interface.

have you tried firefox ? http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/firefox-4-mobile-finally-released.html

Simian Man
April 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I was thinking of something like that, like a browser API that people can use.
Like Webkit?

I want to change the way most people see browsers, many think they are chunky and have unnecessary features, not alot of content space and most really are Not Notebook Friendly. Also, this could lead to a series of software in the many years(or decades) to come.
Umm, you really missed the boat on this. You almost exactly describe the goals of Google Chrome, Arora, Epiphany, Rekonq, Midori and, to some extent, Firefox 4.

I don't think this is right. He is trying to start something, he's asking for help and we are responding, helping him achieve his goal.
I'm just asking why start another open source project when there are tons of others that are striving for, seemingly, the same thing. I don't think there's much point starting another project unless it really brings something new to the table. By the looks of it, this won't. But then it's not my time is it?

aysiu
April 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM
have you tried firefox ? http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/firefox-4-mobile-finally-released.html
Yes. It's terrible on Android.

Johnsie
April 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I would like a browser that categorises websites into genres similar to how music players do. I guess you can already do that usign bookmarks, but I'd like to see a better implementation of it.

+1 for a decent proxy switch and also a built in user-agent switcher.

I would also like an Exchange capable email client that's better than evolution (evolution sucks at exchange).

Madskillzz
April 10th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Full screen option instead of going to the top of the screen to see interface, tabs, ect... Hit the supper key and it seamlessly shows transparently like. big clear using a big part of the screen : address bar, tabs and bookmarks,favorits ect... Something more focused towards improving full screen browsing,

Dustin2128
April 11th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Very impressive work for a 10 kilo download! It feels very snappy, but what I would do is remove the entire file menu, and add a tab bar.

Jesus_Valdez
April 11th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Firefox with that other Rendering stuff, you know the one I'm talking about, the one in Safari, Midori, etc.

Thewhistlingwind
April 11th, 2011, 03:48 AM
The only thing I want to see is a command line based web browser (Think links/lynx) that instead of navigating by hyperlinks, has actual scrolling capabilities. (And maybe the abillity to interpret images as ASII characters, but that's probably way over the top.)