PDA

View Full Version : How to pipe output to a file and update after every line

chicago31415
April 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I am trying to pipe output to a file using

./command > file.dat

However, file.dat is updated only after several 10s of lines have been written to it. However, the output on the screen is updated after every line.

Is it possible to update file.dat after everyline so that it can be viewed using cat for example.
Thanks in advance.

Telengard C64
April 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Bash Reference Manual, 3.6.2 Redirecting Output (http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Redirections.html#Redirections)

The > output redirection operator erases the file before writing to it. If you are using it inside a loop then your output file will be erased on every loop iteration which invokes the redirection. If you want to append to the output file then use the >> operator.

I can't tell from the OP whether or not this is the cause of your problem, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

chicago31415
April 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks, but that is not my problem.

The problem is that my command is slow. What happens is that the command spits out 60-70 lines before it is visible using cat. So I have to wait till the command spits out those many lines before I see what is in the output file.

Arndt
April 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks, but that is not my problem.

The problem is that my command is slow. What happens is that the command spits out 60-70 lines before it is visible using cat. So I have to wait till the command spits out those many lines before I see what is in the output file.

Your program needs to either use unbuffered/linebuffered output, or do fflush (or whatever the equivalent is in the language you're using). The default is usually to write to a rather big buffer, which is written out to the file only when it gets full.

MadCow108
April 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM
stdbuf -oL ./command > output

this sets the buffering mode to line buffering but read the manpage, it will not always work

chicago31415
April 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Found the solution

stdbuf -oL ./command > file.dat

does the job. The output is now line buffered instead of the standard buffer of 4096 characters.

Telengard C64
April 4th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Sweet! Thanks for introducing me to a new technique, MadCow108.
:)

Arndt
April 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM

this sets the buffering mode to line buffering but read the manpage, it will not always work

Where is 'stdbuf'? I don't have it, but I have coreutils installed. This is Ubuntu 10.04.

MadCow108
April 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
its only been added in coreutils 8.2 which is unfortunately not in lucid.

geirha
April 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
There are other ways. The best is to just tell your command not to buffer. If your command has no such option, there's also unbuffer which is available in lucid's repositories. See http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/009

jwbrase
April 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Another thing you can do is "./command | tee output".

This will write the output both to the file and to stdout, so you don't need to cat the file to read the output.