PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER A/C adapter's dead!

Quadunit404
April 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Well earlier today I was setting up my laptop for school as usual and the A/C adapter had a rather hard fall. Apparently even though the A/C adapter went through falls harder than that ONE fall and lived, this time it miraculously died.

That's just wonderful, Samsung.

I'll probably buy another one through their online store as since this is still under warranty, technical support and shipping for spare parts should be free. I'll be sure to buy a second one as well so THIS WON'T HAPPEN ](*,)

handy
April 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
At least for your 2nd one (if not your first) you can get an after market brand (one size fits most - comes with a variety of plugs too) which will save you money. They are very likely of equal quality.

You really can't blame Samsung for dropping the PSU...

CharlesA
April 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I've had a coworker who had to order a replacement A/C power pack for her laptop and ended up getting a Targus brand one.

Works like a charm.

Sijmen
April 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Don't get me started on adapters...... I have to buy a new one every year. Lugging my notebook around is just asking to much........ really! ](*,)

As far as my statistics go: it's been the connection between the cord and the plug or where the cord is connected to the adapter. Fragile stuff. I'm on my sixth now.

Quadunit404
April 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Okay, so I just spoke with Samsung customer support and apparently, for them to give us a replacement A/C adapter, we have to send them the entire laptop just for a replacement adapter due to a "Samsung policy." Absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully this other support guy will be more helpful.

Sijmen
April 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wow, talking about costumer service.... Glad you get a new adapter though :)

Quadunit404
April 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Okay, this time we're taking it to Best Buy (there's one about 10 minutes away from where I live) since the second customer support person felt that sending in the whole shebang JUST for an A/C adapter replacement is not gonna be worth it and that taking it to a nearby Best Buy or something would be better. There, it'll be tested to make sure that it isn't also the laptop that's suffering from problems, and if it's just the laptop THEN Samsung will ship me a replacement. If it is both, Best Buy will handle the repair.

Well, it's a whole lot better than that "Samsung policy" the first dude mentioned, especially since we won't need to ship the whole thing to a far-off Samsung repair center somewhere.

handy
April 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Don't get me started on adapters...... I have to buy a new one every year. Lugging my notebook around is just asking to much........ really! ](*,)

As far as my statistics go: it's been the connection between the cord and the plug or where the cord is connected to the adapter. Fragile stuff. I'm on my sixth now.

The problem at the plug end is particularly easy to fix. So you don't have a mate who is a little electrically talented?

The problem at the PSU end is a little more difficult due to the likely difficulty of getting the case open, after which it is very likely easier to fix than the plug end problem.

If you haven't thrown away these adapters, go fishing for someone to fix the connections in them for you, even get them to show you how.

If you are concerned about doing it wrong, get a multi-meter (cheap from Tandy, Dickk Smith) & test your work to make sure that you haven't swapped the wires. You'll also need a suitable low wattage soldering iron & light gauge solder & some flux, the above mentioned stores will set you straight in that regard.

Quadunit404
April 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Well, I'm getting ready to take it to Best Buy, so, yeah.

EDIT: Best Buy helped us confirm the problem: the A/C adapter. We're ordering a replacement off of Amazon since Best Buy didn't have any replacement adapters that works with my laptop.

Quadunit404
April 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
It's Friday, Friday The new A/C adapter has arrived and it works, so my laptop is back in business at last! :D

Just gotta go through 140 feed items (when I started up Opera I had 166 items in my feeds) and do some other things and I'm free for the weekend.

Spice Weasel
April 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM
1) Drop electronic device on floor
2) Blame manufacturer when it breaks

Quadunit404
April 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
...Sort of.

I wasn't DIRECTLY blaming Samsung for it, but since I dropped it harder than that ONE fall before...

But the good thing is that at least this laptop has a working power source again.

sydbat
April 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
1) Drop electronic device on floor
2) Blame manufacturer when it breaksMmmmhmmm

...Sort of.

I wasn't DIRECTLY blaming Samsung for it, but since I dropped it harder than that ONE fall before...

But the good thing is that at least this laptop has a working power source again.Don't drop this one...

Quadunit404
April 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm more worried about it breaking apart like one of the replacement A/C adapters I got for my old laptop than it falling tbh, but that isn't to say that I will intentionally drop it.

Because I'm not going to.

mips
April 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
If it was me I would open it up and see what's wrong. Could be something as simple a a dry solder joint which could be fixed by reheating all the solder points with a soldering iron.

If you are not knowledgeable about electrical devices though I would not recommend this.

koleoptero
April 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm on my third adapter as I type this. I've never dropped or damaged one, the cables just sort of fail after a while. At least the one I have now has really a hard/thick cable going from the adapter to the laptop and a replaceable one going to the wall socket.

Sijmen
April 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
The problem at the plug end is particularly easy to fix. So you don't have a mate who is a little electrically talented?

The problem at the PSU end is a little more difficult due to the likely difficulty of getting the case open, after which it is very likely easier to fix than the plug end problem.

If you haven't thrown away these adapters, go fishing for someone to fix the connections in them for you, even get them to show you how.

If you are concerned about doing it wrong, get a multi-meter (cheap from Tandy, Dickk Smith) & test your work to make sure that you haven't swapped the wires. You'll also need a suitable low wattage soldering iron & light gauge solder & some flux, the above mentioned stores will set you straight in that regard.

That is good advice. I don't have the adapters anymore though..... I'll give it a try with this one. Thanks.