PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new laptop - suggestions?

Ranko Kohime
April 4th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I would like some input.

Through my searching around, I've found that there's a great many more brand names than I had previously thought, and quite a bit fewer manufacturers. I'd like to know if I've missed any of either in my search.

So far, I've looked at a great many laptops, but what has caught my eye so far is the System76 Gazelle, and it's siamese-twin the Malibal Lotus, both of which are based on the Clevo P151MH1 platform.

So here is my list of requirements:

1080p display (This is the big one, and can make or break)
8GB or higher ram capacity (16GB preferably)
2.5" drive adapter for the optical bay (I plan to run dual hard drives)
A big battery (The afore-mentioned Clevo has a 78Wh battery, and bigger is better, as weight is not a concern)
A quad-core processor (I'd rather have a relatively slow quad-core than a blazing fast dual-core)
Power conservation when NOT running any intensive apps (writing, spreadsheets, web browsing (basic, non-flash pages) or some other unintensive task) I expect to get no less than 4 hours of such activity on a 78Wh or larger battery
Price: I'd like to stay under $1,400 with all the in-site upgrades
Bonus: if the online configurator supports No OS or Ubuntu, naturally :)

A few of the things I'm going for are going to require post-purchase upgrades, such as I want a 1TB drive in the optical bay, which no one seems to offer yet. As for RAM, everyone seems to charge significantly more than what I could purchase for at NewEgg. Double, in most cases.

I've not kept up with the differences between AMD and Intel lately, so I'm rather ignorant as to the performance comparison: Can a quad-core mobile AMD processor hang with a similar Intel processor, both in performance and power conservation? And does AMD have a comparable technology to Hyperthreading? Does hyperthreading even have an effect in the real world, in multimedia apps specifically?

A few of the brands I've viewed and decided against, either because their price is higher for the same Clevo platform, or their offerings don't jive with my requirements:

Sager
ZaReason

So are there any brands I should check out that might have a model to fit my requirements? I'm leaning towards the Malibal Lotus at the moment, (System76 does not offer a drive caddy in place of the optical drive), but the right deal will sway me.

Moneywise, it will probably be another 2 months before I'm able to justify this purchase, so if anything is soon to come down the pike, I'm all ears.

Ranko Kohime
April 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I just read about the Nvidia Optimus issue. :(

So that shoots that idea clear out of the water. I'm not quite up to the effort of whatever workarounds exist at the current moment, I'd like to just get up and run as soon as I do get a new laptop. (I'm short on computing resources at the moment).

Can anyone recommend a laptop with a non-Optimus-based Nvidia card, or an ATI card, that comes anywhere close to my specifications?

Vadi
April 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM
My current 3 year old laptop is from system76, and my next one will be as well. I recommended them to a friend to got a system76 laptop as well, and is very satisfied with them.

Outside of the great hardware and no-crapware OS installs, they deliver most excellent support. So... I'd recommend to get something, whatever works for you, from them.

Darth Penguin
April 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Asus G7SW (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus%20-%20Laptop%20/%20Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i7%20Processor%20/%2017.3%22%20Display%20/%208GB%20Memory%20-%20Black/2043099.p?id=1218306950115&skuId=2043099&IcsCsid=2-39-1146-25-5-71305-74118-25-1146-528-25-1146-3497-0-1) seems to be what you're looking for, it's expandable to 16 GB RAM. Awesome laptop too. :)

edit

By the way, you can dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 7 and this is a way to install Ubuntu after Windows 7(which comes with most laptops). First you install Ubuntu then:
Download and burn the Windows 7 recovery disc...

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Boot from that disk and choose the command line option.

Type in bootrec.exe /FixMbr then press Enter.

Type in bootrec.exe /FixBoot then press Enter.

Restart the computer.

Once you log on to Windows, download EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) and add an entry for Ubuntu. Select Grub 2 when you create an entry for Ubuntu, then save settings. You can then dual boot both operating systems.

beew
April 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM

So that shoots that idea clear out of the water. I'm not quite up to the effort of whatever workarounds exist at the current moment, I'd like to just get up and run as soon as I do get a new laptop. (I'm short on computing resources at the moment).

Can anyone recommend a laptop with a non-Optimus-based Nvidia card, or an ATI card, that comes anywhere close to my specifications?

It seems that there are still some Samsung labtops which have Nvidia but optimus free. You may want to look into that.

EDITED:

If you have the budget you may also want to look at the Thinkpad T series laptops. They have Optimus but there is a BIOS option to use only the Nvidia card (whereas the morons at Dell decided to get rid of the option in their BIOS even though it was there) But I am not sure if that is true for all builds so you have to do some research before buying.

uRock
April 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

beew
April 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
My current 3 year old laptop is from system76, and my next one will be as well. I recommended them to a friend to got a system76 laptop as well, and is very satisfied with them.

Outside of the great hardware and no-crapware OS installs, they deliver most excellent support. So... I'd recommend to get something, whatever works for you, from them.

I have looked at them. But there are not many choices and in order to get good graphics (Nvidia) you have to go for professional which is very high end and costs as much as a Mac book pro (but better hardware than the Mac) It would be good if there are more choices across the continuum of specs.

edm1
April 6th, 2011, 07:22 PM
If you don't mind my asking, why do you need a laptop with such ridiculous specs? It doesn't seem like it would be worth the expense unless you're playing high-end commercial games on it. Even then it would be overkill.

Ranko Kohime
April 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
If you don't mind my asking, why do you need a laptop with such ridiculous specs? It doesn't seem like it would be worth the expense unless you're playing high-end commercial games on it. Even then it would be overkill.
I'm coming from a Mac Mini with a Core2Duo 1.83GHz processor, and 3GB of ram.

I typically racked up 10,000 or more pageins daily with routine work.

I do audio work, which is oft-times processor intensive, especially when adding a lot of effect modules to various tracks. It also demands a LOT of RAM. I shut EVERYTHING else down when I do audio work, and I still end up saturating the RAM. 12 tracks with per-track compression, master compression, reverb, chorus, etc, etc...

Acrobat OCR, even though it would not play ball with multi-core, (sucked up 100% of one core), it sent me to my laptop if I wanted to surf while performing OCR on files over 300 pages, and over 400 pages, I had to run OCR in blocks.

GuitarPro runs slow and stutters above 10 tracks, and demands RAM on longer files.

Not very GPU-intensive, but CPU and RAM intensive. My bad luck the GPU has to be a niggling issue. :(

Ranko Kohime
April 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Their Gazelle is based on the platform I have my eye on... The only hitch is they don't offer the optical bay HD caddy... If I can find that separately for a reasonable price, that would leave them in a very close race with Malibal, price-wise.

barthus
April 6th, 2011, 11:04 PM

Is there an issue? My net-book Asus 1015PN works quite well with the Optimus technology.

Ranko Kohime
April 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Is there an issue? My net-book Asus 1015PN works quite well with the Optimus technology.
I am under the impression the Optimus technology deals with dual-video setups... That is, an integrated card for saving power, and a dedicated card for hardcore 3D work, feeding the same display, which I didn't think they put in netbooks.

beew
April 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Well you hacked it but mtron's hack works only on your particular model, is this correct?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1677780 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1677780) :)

So I wouldn't make it sound like Optimus is a non issue, it is actually quite serious for all Linux users who want good graphic performance on their laptops.

It would be an amazing achievement if mtron can make it works on other models as well (but it is still good to know a work around is possible under albeit very restricted conditions, for now)