PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] battery life and laptop noise for hp ati laptops

xgt001
April 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
hello everyone
i have 2 main issues with my laptop and i have seen a lot of posts regarding the same issues

a) my laptop gives me as much as almost times LOWER battery life in Ubuntu than windows 7 (windows 7 almost 4 hours.. Ubuntu 2 hour 30 minutes)
b) laptop noise : it runs a lot more noisy than windoows

to fix this i installed proprietary ati drivers ... to most extent the noise is gone and the battery life improved to 2 and half hours from 1 hour but it still takes a lot of time for it to quiet down... windows calms down immediately after i boot....but battery life is stil very less and it has been a major deterrent for me to completely migrate to ubunu... i hate to use wihndows pls suggest solutions to this post as it will help a whole lotta of hp laptop owners migrating to linux...
thanks
cheers

mastablasta
April 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
the laptop's hardware was made for windows. this is the reason that it works better.

or the drivers provided by manufacturers are better for windows.

you could try scaling donw the CPU usage, but i dont' think this is ideal solution. If you planned on using Ubuntu then best thing is to buy a laptop with Ubuntu preloaded ro at least Ubuntu certified: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/