PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] natty beta 1 live cd wont boot to gui

reptilezone2002
April 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
natty beta 1 live cd wont boot to GUI is hangs & get stuck

galacticaboy
April 4th, 2011, 09:44 AM
natty beta 1 live cd wont boot to GUI is hangs & get stuck

All of the Natty Beta 1's are doing that to me, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. None of them will boot GUI, I did get Kubuntu to after about 45 minutes and then the desktop was all buggy and did not load properly. Let me know if you find a solution!

Krytarik
April 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Maybe you can boot by passing the ever-popular boot parameters "nomodeset", "acpi=off" or "noapic" to the kernel, add them after "quiet splash":
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Editing%20Menus%20During%20Boot

Note: Of course, the boot menu of the installCD looks quite different to those of an installed system, but there is nevertheless the option to pass custom boot parameters.

clhsharky
April 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
reptilezone2002

Natty has its own sub forum, check it out.
Development & Programming>Natty Narwhal Testing and Discussion
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394

Sharky

JeyPeyy
April 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I have the same problem. Putting "acpi=off" solves this, but it gives me the classic gnome environment, without hardware acceleration.

Anyone who has found a bug report about this? Or should I submit one?

--posting from the live environment, with classic gnome =(

Krytarik
April 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I have the same problem. Putting "acpi=off" solves this, but it gives me the classic gnome environment, without hardware acceleration.

I suggest installing it first, and then install the proper video driver that sufficiently supports your video card/chip.

JeyPeyy
April 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I suggest installing it first, and then install the proper video driver that sufficiently supports your video card/chip.

Okay, but it isn't very user friendly, so I hope it gets fixed before the release.

Krytarik
April 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Okay, but it isn't very user friendly, so I hope it gets fixed before the release.
Yeah, you are right! At least the installCD should run without having to tinker with the boot parameters before. But there are always issues with some video cards/chips, also in earlier versions, and it doesn't matter at the end if you run the liveCD or an installed system. This all depends on the kernel and the respective video drivers.