PDA

View Full Version : Crash Plan as one piece of a backup strategy

kevdog
April 4th, 2011, 06:12 AM
As one piece of a comprehensive backup plan, I was thinking of using crash plan + in order to provide for cloud backup. The IT guy at my work thinks its great. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this service.

ndstate
April 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I used it a long time ago. It seemed to work pretty well but I have since switched to another online backup provider.

alviera_girls90
April 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM
i don't know about it.

Sporkman
April 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
i don't know about it.

Lifehacker did a write-up on it:

http://lifehacker.com/#!5787572/set-up-an-automated-bulletproof-file-back-up-solution

CharlesA
April 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
That sounds handy. I wonder if they have a CLI interface.

youbuntu
April 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
What's with all this sudden adoption of "cloud computing" solutions? Is there no use for a poor, lonely external HDD nowadays? :)

PS: Yes, I get that it's off-site storage, but who is to say that the cloud/your internet won't go down, JUST when you need it? An external HDD doesn't vanish when your internet goes offline ;)

CharlesA
April 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Perhaps, but it works great for disaster recovery since it's offsite in case of a disaster - fire, flood, earthquake, etc.

ndstate
April 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM
What's with all this sudden adoption of "cloud computing" solutions? Is there no use for a poor, lonely external HDD nowadays? :)

PS: Yes, I get that it's off-site storage, but who is to say that the cloud/your internet won't go down, JUST when you need it? An external HDD doesn't vanish when your internet goes offline ;)

I use both online and external. Actually, my data is replicated at least 4 times.

kevdog
April 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I used it a long time ago. It seemed to work pretty well but I have since switched to another online backup provider.

I'm wondering what provider this is?

And please note -- the title of the thread was one piece of a backup strategy. For the truly paranoid, I believe backup consists of duplicates for hardware failure (RAID) and data loss -- frequent backups for duplication -- such as a LAN computer or external hard-drive -- and duplication to offsite -- as in case of a fire, flood, etc.

ndstate
April 5th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I am using Spideroak (https://spideroak.com/download/promo/cd1) and love it. If you are a student you can get a 50% discount.

I like it because all data is encrypted locally and it does revisions. Note that the link I used is a referral link, feel free to use it if you want, my promo code is cd1 ;)

If you have any other questions or anything let me know.

pi3.1415926535...
April 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Most servers do use HDDs to store data, so they are just as reliable, though you do not have physical access, which has advantages and disadvantages.