PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Language Switching Like On Mac?

Kangaji
April 4th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Hey guys, so I just got Ubuntu, and I migrated over from OS X.

I gotta say I like it so far, but I have one question: On OS X, I can switch the keyboard input language very easily by using a keyboard shortcut. How can I switch on Ubuntu?

This is kinda important to me 'cause I'm an International Studies major in college and I end up using about a billion languages for homework, projects, etc. (I have experience with ~8 languages, not all romance). Switching from one language is really easy on OS X, and it's one of the main reasons why I originally left Windows for it. Someone please help????...

ankspo71
April 4th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hi,
In your system menu there should be an entry called "keyboard" or "Keyboard Preferences". Open that application then click on the layouts tab. Now click on the add button to add multiple keyboard layouts. Once you have added as many layouts as you need, look over by your clock in the notification area. A tiny keyboard (or flag) should have appeared there. Click on that to quickly change your keyboard layout. PS. Also, click on the Options button in the layouts tab of the keyboard preferences because this is where you can assign a keyboard shortcut.
Hope this helps.

dwhite
April 4th, 2011, 06:45 AM
go to the main menu select "system" select "preferences" select "keyboard" choose the "layout tab" and you can add many languages.

once you have selected the languages you want, you can switch between them from the panel if you have the "indicator applet" on the panel

i just tried it and it works great. easy and fast to switch

the screenshots show selecting a keyboard and how to switch between from the panel once you have added them.

تشنتم نتش

and seems i can switch in the middle of a document and switch back no problem, cool

here is some modern greek

ξλαειωμ ακδφ

now back to usa english keyboard, just playing kind of fun

Kangaji
April 5th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Does this work on all programs? 'Cause like, I've tried to get it to work for things like Skype and Rekonq, and it won't work. But it works on Firefox just fine.

Weird too, 'cause it worked universally on OS X...

grahammechanical
April 5th, 2011, 02:48 AM
It will work with your login password. If you are asked to activate something and you are still in one of the other keyboard layouts your password will not work because it is different although you are typing the correct keys.

If you click Options then you can assign keys to switch keyboard layouts.

Regards.

P.S. did you click Apply System wide?

rosencrantz
April 5th, 2011, 02:57 AM
As you are mentioning rekonq, are you on KDE? System Settings->Input devices->Keyboard allows you to set layouts and define the global keyboard shortcut on the same interface. Hot switching works without having to restart applications.

Kangaji
April 5th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I did what you said, but it only wants to stay on US layout...

rosencrantz
April 5th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Who, me?
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/avocadohead/layout.png
Here's a KDE system settings screen shot, those settings work well for me. I'm not on Wubi, though.