PDA

View Full Version : Natty questions

gufide
April 4th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi there, anyone tried natty here? I try It on my old laptop, but the experience was crappy, let me explain. It start (or end) with compiz. I don't know for you, but my compiz crashing anytime. Double click on inactive text on a dash? CRASH! Enable some plugins? CRASH! I never try a so crappy ubuntu beta before. I'm with an Nvidia 8200m g, I try it with the 3d open driver, and with nv proprietary driver. Did you get the same bad experience like me? I'm little bit worried about this, I don't want to see every ubuntu desktop crashing anytime, this will dirt the linux reputation of the "unbreakable" operating system.

Paqman
April 4th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I don't want to see every ubuntu desktop crashing anytime

Maybe stick to the stable release then?

This development cycle has been a bit rough, but that's only to be expected with so much new code on the desktop. New stuff is always buggy. We've been a bit spoiled lately with some fairly cushy releases that didn't have many bugs left by the time they hit beta. Natty is going to take a lot of bug squishing to get ready for release, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be in good shape by release day or soon after. Wait and see.

this will dirt the linux reputation of the "unbreakable" operating system.

The Linux desktop isn't any more stable than any other system in my experience, and often much less so. It's Linux servers that have a rightly earned reputation for reliability.

smellyman
April 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM
thats why there will be unity 2d

vehemoth
April 4th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Maybe stick to the stable release then?

This development cycle has been a bit rough, but that's only to be expected with so much new code on the desktop. New stuff is always buggy. We've been a bit spoiled lately with some fairly cushy releases that didn't have many bugs left by the time they hit beta. Natty is going to take a lot of bug squishing to get ready for release, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be in good shape by release day or soon after. Wait and see.

The Linux desktop isn't any more stable than any other system in my experience, and often much less so. It's Linux servers that have a rightly earned reputation for reliability.

Some distros get pretty close but there is also that trade off just like getting into the server market, it usually takes a bit more effort to start off.

juancarlospaco
April 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
You need to configure your Compiz properly.

wizard10000
April 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
You need to configure your Compiz properly.

It's probably compiz. I installed 11.04 beta 1 yesterday and emerald no longer works with compiz either. I understand they're working on it.

slackthumbz
April 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I've only seen compiz throw a fit twice in the few days since I upgraded to the Natty beta but it's a beta and I expect there to be bugs. Considering how much work has been done on unity I have to say I'm very, very impressed. The 10.10 iteration of Unity was a dog. Slow, clunky and generally horrible but after a few days on Natty I really like what they've done with it. I hope it goes on to improve further.

If you want something more stable you really shouldn't be testing beta releases. Try waiting til June before upgrading. They should have worked out most of the remaining bugs by then.

reptilezone2002
April 4th, 2011, 09:07 AM
11.04 .. in my opinion not good .. we dont want another windows ... & nothing works on my pc .. i dont have 3d acceleration with me.. & unity 2d works but themes are not applying ..hmm

ikt
April 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
11.04 .. in my opinion not good .. we dont want another windows ... & nothing works on my pc .. i dont have 3d acceleration with me.. & unity 2d works but themes are not applying ..hmm

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

Ask questions, if you don't know where something has gone, ask, if something doesn't work, ask, if you don't know how to do something, ask.

There are knowledgeable people who spend their spare time going through posts in that forum looking for questions to answer, ask as many as you like! :D

reptilezone2002
April 4th, 2011, 09:36 AM
natty beta 1 live cd wont boot to GUI is hangs & get stuck

ikt
April 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
natty beta 1 live cd wont boot to GUI is hangs & get stuck

At the moment there is a whole ton of people reporting boot issues, you're not alone and the devs are working on it.

reptilezone2002
April 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
i thought im the only one hehehehe i had this issue from alpha

gufide
April 5th, 2011, 11:59 PM
for me the live cd don't work because nouveau don't work with my nvidia gts 360m. I had to boot with nomodeset