PDA

View Full Version : Boycott the share menu on content sites!!!!!!

josephellengar
April 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Does anybody else hate the "share menu" on content sites as much as I do? You know, the menu with the twitter, facebook, buzz, reddit, fark, linkedin, stumbleupon buttons. You know, that menu that is getting bigger every single day? Well, if you hate it as much as I do, then you probably know exactly what I am talking about. Therefore, I humbly request that we get together and boycott this menu that is on EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE.

jerenept
April 4th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Does anybody else hate the "share menu" on content sites as much as I do? You know, the menu with the twitter, facebook, buzz, reddit, fark, linkedin, stumbleupon buttons. You know, that menu that is getting bigger every single day? Well, if you hate it as much as I do, then you probably know exactly what I am talking about. Therefore, I humbly request that we get together and boycott this menu that is on EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE.

Like UbuntuForums? Although I do agree it's annoying.

josephellengar
April 4th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Like UbuntuForums? Although I do agree it's annoying.

At least the one on Ubuntu Forums is a little smaller than most. It's just a few items and it's relatively unobtrusive at the bottom there. But still, I say, boycott it! Boycott them all!

RiceMonster
April 4th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I haven't found they bug me that much. I just never use them. So I suppose I would be "boycotting" them, since that's really all it would entail.

NCLI
April 4th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I don't use the majority of menus on most sites, but they don't bother me.

I do use this menu occasionally though, very handy.

Dustin2128
April 4th, 2011, 02:04 AM
We could probably just get lovinglinux to write a firefox addon that blocks the share menu :D

josephellengar
April 4th, 2011, 02:07 AM
We could probably just get lovinglinux to write a firefox addon that blocks the share menu :D

I tried to block it using Adblock plus custom filters in Chrome, but every site calls it something different, and I have to block each one individually.

wojox
April 4th, 2011, 06:11 AM
https://s7.addthis.com/static/r07/widget29_32x32_top.png

kevdog
April 4th, 2011, 06:14 AM
really I don't know what these buttons do. I've seen them but am actually dumb about their use. I don't really do social networking (FB, LI), but do do a lot of sms and chatting.

piquat
April 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM
The buttons?

How about all the sites they represent... not a fan.

earthpigg
April 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
eh. is mine so horrible?

I, too, think more than 3 or 4 is overboard. So, for my blog, only 'rate this', fbook and twitter are visible unless one mouses over the 'share' button. none use flash, and i try to avoid reliance on walled gardens in general - i made sure a simple economics program i wrote would run on programmable calculators, android phones, and pretty much anything that can interpret BASIC.

the social media stuff gives me valuable feedback. for example, they've shown me that people tend to like when i modify wikipedia's maps of the Libyan rebellion to create a map that is both 1) un-encyclopedic and 2) believed (by me) to thus be more accurate.

Random_Dude
April 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I haven't found they bug me that much. I just never use them. So I suppose I would be "boycotting" them, since that's really all it would entail.

This.
They don't bother me much. I actually find it funny how every single site (even if it is the most absurd one) has to have a button to link it to your facebook account. :biggrin:

Cheers :cool:

slackthumbz
April 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM
This.
They don't bother me much. I actually find it funny how every single site (even if it is the most absurd one) has to have a button to link it to your facebook account. :biggrin:

Mine doesn't ;) But that's cos I hate web 2.0 crapola and wouldn't inflict it on anyone. At the moment I have a steadily growing list of sites that I block all content from. Mostly ad-trackers, social networks and twitter (I #@!$ing hate twitter). There seems to be something of a trend going on where people load up their pages with annoying 3rd party javascript. Since I blocked all that crap a lot of sites now load in half the time they used to.

Grenage
April 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM

I imagine that social networking sites now make up the majority of personal web browsing, so it makes sense that other sites would tie into them; you don't have to use them, nobody is forcing you to.

Random_Dude
April 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Mine doesn't ;) But that's cos I hate web 2.0 crapola and wouldn't inflict it on anyone. At the moment I have a steadily growing list of sites that I block all content from. Mostly ad-trackers, social networks and twitter (I #@!$ing hate twitter). There seems to be something of a trend going on where people load up their pages with annoying 3rd party javascript. Since I blocked all that crap a lot of sites now load in half the time they used to.

I've tried using NoScript add-on on firefox, but I feel like it blocks way too much stuff for me.
I find ad-blocker to be a must-have add-on though. It really makes a difference in loading time and aesthetics. ;)

alexan
April 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
The only one kind of "button" I don't like are those facebook kind.
Basically those "buttons" are a iframe which keep open a small, but effective, facebook page for two unpleasant things:
1. unfairly increase facebook traffic through alexa and other stats
2. if you're logged on facebook you're sending to facebook servers the what are you seeing. (and probably other sensible data)

I've solved this way
[alt]+[f2] > gksu gedit /etc/hosts > put 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com at the end > save

josephellengar
April 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Basically those "buttons" are a iframe which keep open a small, but effective, facebook page for two unpleasant things:
2. if you're logged on facebook you're sending to facebook servers the what are you seeing. (and probably other sensible data)

I've solved this way
[alt]+[f2] > gksu gedit /etc/hosts > put 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com at the end > save

Wow. I've been looking for a way to do that for months. Thanks!

Random_Dude
April 4th, 2011, 02:34 PM

I've solved this way
[alt]+[f2] > gksu gedit /etc/hosts > put 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com (http://www.facebook.com) at the end > save

Interesting.
Could you explain better what does it do? :)

Grenage
April 4th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Interesting.
Could you explain better what does it do? :)

It resolves facebook.com to a loopback address (your machine), so data intended for that domain won't go anywhere.

Don't use it if you make use of Facebook.

Random_Dude
April 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
It resolves facebook.com to a loopback address (your machine), so data intended for that domain won't go anywhere.

Don't use it if you make use of Facebook.

I don't use facebook, so that wouldn't be a problem. ;)
Could it have some side effects?

Grenage
April 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I don't use facebook, so that wouldn't be a problem. ;)
Could it have some side effects?

Only if you want to use something which depends on that site; it doesn't sound like you'll have a problem.

Random_Dude
April 4th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Only if you want to use something which depends on that site; it doesn't sound like you'll have a problem.

Thanks for the info. ;)
It's always interesting to know these things.

Tristam Green
April 4th, 2011, 03:27 PM
lol, everything's a boycott now evidently. I don't like celery! The taste is horrid to my preferences and since you should share my preferences, you should boycott all buffalo wings, ranch dressing, salsa, turkey dressing, and veggie soups with me!

United we stand, divided we're sheep!

Frogs Hair
April 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I don't use the share menu , it's just there .

earthpigg
April 4th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I've solved this way

very elegant.

sydbat
April 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
lol, everything's a boycott now evidently. I don't like celery! The taste is horrid to my preferences and since you should share my preferences, you should boycott all buffalo wings, ranch dressing, salsa, turkey dressing, and veggie soups with me!

United we stand, divided we're sheep!++

KL_72_TR
April 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Each of us has different tastes. I like to paint my room white someone else with a different color.
Don't be mad about other people choices.
Use what is useful and reject what is useless.
'Share' doesn't bother me at all, I don't pay attention.

c-1000
April 5th, 2011, 02:42 AM
lol, everything's a boycott now evidently

lol...evidently, since everyone here seems to boycotting microsoft and/or apple...

Merk42
April 5th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Are you going to boycott Firefox? (http://www.conceivablytech.com/6581/products/firefox-5-social-sharing-home-tab-pdf-viewer-tab-apps)

sydbat
April 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
lol...evidently, since everyone here seems to boycotting microsoft and/or apple...Only the zealots...nolol...

Tristam Green
April 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
lol...evidently, since everyone here seems to boycotting microsoft and/or apple...

lolno.

You can call it boycott if you like. I call it exercising consumer buying power. It's only a boycott if it makes a significant impact in their revenue stream.

RiceMonster
April 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Not me. I use Windows 7 and I've got an iPhone.

undecim
April 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah, and while we're at it, let's boycott advertisements, Google listings, word of mouth, and everything else that helps websites succeed.

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I have noticed that they are usually take up over 1/3rd of the page and are mandatory :rolleyes:

KL_72_TR
April 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, and while we're at it, let's boycott advertisements, Google listings, word of mouth, and everything else that helps websites succeed.
I payed a visit at your website and hopefully you don't have a 'Share' :-)