PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] BIOS won't install Ubuntu from USB

tandemrider
April 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm almost completely new to Ubuntu. I have successfully installed Ubuntu on my wife's desktop, and she likes it a lot. Now I wanted to install it onto my new netbook instead of Windows 7 Starter, but I can't get things to work.

Here's my situation:
Acer Aspire One 533 netbook

I put Ubuntu Netbook edition on a USB stick as decribed under http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download.

Once I boot from USB I get s short syslinux 4.03-message, and then a black screen reading Intel(r) PineView PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS Build Number: 1818 PC 14.34 etc. etc. Everything stops right there.

I have upgraded my BIOS from 1.02 to 1.15 using the files supplied on the Acer website. That has worked, but I still can't get system to boot from USB - thus no Ubuntu for me! :confused:

I have also retried everything having used UNetbootin to create the bootable USB this time, but to no avail.

From what I have gathered around the web there seems to be a problem with the BIOS supplied with these Acer netbooks, but I seem to be to inexperienced to understand the workarounds suggested.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tandemrider

Hedgehog1
April 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
The steps you have followed seem like the right ones (congratulations on updating the BIOS, not everyone can pull that off!).

A few folks found that the brand of USB stick they were using just did not work for booting. So a change in brand MAY get you working. Most folks who saw this had a 'quick blink' of the USB light as the computer attempted a boot and got stuck.

Also - if your system has USB 3.0 ports, right now Ubuntu will not boot from USB 3.0 ports, you need to boot from a USB 2.0 port.

The Hedge

:KS

tandemrider
April 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM
:D Even with a second USB stick I haven't been able to install Ubuntu from USB. Now I borrowed an external DVD drive, burned the netbook.iso onto a CD and just gave it a try - it works! I tried it for while from CD, and currently I am installing Ubuntu onto my hardrive! :D

Even though installing from CD is not mentioned as an option is not mentioned on the Netbook-download page, it works just like it is explained on the download page for the desktop edition (just use the netbook.iso, of course).

I'm happy!

Hedgehog1
April 6th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hurray! As long as you are working (and happy). :P

Looks like you may need to get and external DVD drive of your very own one of these days... More TOYS!!!!

The Hedge

:KS

OldAndTired
March 11th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Well, I have the same problem, I'm not working, and I'm not happy. I hope someone can address this.

oldos2er
March 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
OldAndTired, please start a new thread for your question, and include as much detail as possible; OS version, hardware specs, etc.