PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opening a newly installed program from Software Center

peterpants
April 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'd like an Open (the newly installed program) button on the Software Center when you're viewing a program.

I don't know if this is just a papercut or what, but I find it frustrating to install a new program from the Ubuntu Software Center, and it not having an "Open" button, to open the newly installed program.

I find the app store/market for the mobile devices (Android, etc) very intuitive in this regard. One should be able to find a program to install in Software Center, click install, wait 30 seconds, then click the Open button, and have the newly installed program open.

I wondered if anyone else had an opinion on this before I jump over to launchpad and file a new feature request to know that it wasn't just me who find the current behavior bothersome.

It does tell you when in the menu hierarchy where to find it, why not just also give you an Open link.

In the image below, doesn't something look a little missing?
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BzHQr6EmDdMLYjhhZjlmYTMtOTA4Ni00ZmZjLTg5Njk tZjg3NjM2YzMxMjkx&export=download&hl=en

Karlchen
April 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hello, peterpants.

I'd like an Open (the newly installed program) button on the Software CenterFirst of all let me state that I would not mind if such an "Open" button existed.

Yet, the advantage gained by having such a button is not really great, is it?!

It will only make it easier to launch a freshly installed programme. When you launch the same programme for the second time you will have to launch it from the appropriate Applications menu nevertheless, won't you?!

Moreover the "Open" button would only be usable for GUI applications. If you install a commandline programme or a new driver or some other software that does not offer a graphical user interface, the "Open" button will be of very little use.

Kind regards,
Karl
--

In the image below, doesn't something look a little missing?Hm, as far as I can tell, the image below itself is missing.