PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu server installs to wrong drive

mikeywaites
April 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hey

I have been trying to set up a ubuntu 10.4 server install on one of my machines at home, i have done this many times before with out any problems, i aquired a newer machine and thought to use that as my server. I downloaded and intsalled ubuntu 10.10 server edition orignially using a usb flash drive. Stupidly i didnt notice that the install did not complete correctly so during the install of the server there were corrupt files and the install could not complete.

I decided to drop down to 10.4 as i couldnt manage to download a working copy of 10.10. The intsall process completes without any problems however it keeps writing the linux files to the flashdrice opposed to the hard drive. Im selecting the machines harddrive as the location to install ubuntu too but it still keeps writing the files to the flashdrive

Anyone got any ideas on this, maybe im being a total spanner?? Ive tried several times now with out any joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dutch70
April 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums,

Depending on how fast your hdd's spin up and start, they could be showing up with the incorrect name, as in sda or sdb.

I'm not sure it will solve your problem, but It's best to unplug any hdd's you're not installing Ubuntu onto during the installation process. It will certainly save a lot of confusion.

Best regards