PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Cube

crank_it_up
April 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hi

Sorry for asking what is probably an obvious question but I can't get the desktop cube to work
I have an nvdia geforce 205M card with 512mb of memory - is it fast enough?

dhyonz
April 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hi

Sorry for asking what is probably an obvious question but I can't get the desktop cube to work
I have an nvdia geforce 205M card with 512mb of memory - is it fast enough?

It's fast for using compiz
have you install compiz config manager ?

Copper Bezel
April 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Are you using Unity in Natty Narwhal? The Cube is broken there (as it conflicts with the Unity plugin's own settings.)

Do_Japan
April 4th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Have problems with desktop cube using a similar graphics card, using geforce 210 512mb ddr2 with 650mhz GPU. The cube seems to perform well, looks good, but the system becomes painfully unstable after a few minutes. I use 10.10 x64. Was wondering if others had similar issues / better success with different (older) versions of ubuntu?

Bobhuber
April 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Have problems with desktop cube using a similar graphics card, using geforce 210 512mb ddr2 with 650mhz GPU. The cube seems to perform well, looks good, but the system becomes painfully unstable after a few minutes. I use 10.10 x64. Was wondering if others had similar issues / better success with different (older) versions of ubuntu?
Most likely some other problem .I use 10.10 64bit gt220 with no problems (the gt220 is the same card with more ram ) Compiz can be VERY UNSTABLE at times though depending on which day of the week it is LOL

Do_Japan
April 5th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I tried a newer beta version of the nvidia driver. Removed 260.xx and installed 270.26. After a restart it got rid of the "NVRM: os_raise_smp_barrier(), invalid context!" message that was showing up in my kernel log every few seconds. Topics on this invalid context message suggest that it isn't a problem. However, I found no difference in stability with the new driver. Perhaps it's a defective card, I will try a different card after I am done being depressed about this.