PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install ubuntu server at my dedicated hosting server

mfw
April 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I have purchased a dedicated server from a hosting company, where Centos is installed by default. I want to install ubuntu server instead of centos.

But im confused how to install ubuntu server at my hosting dedicated server. please tell me how i can install and configure it to run properly.

thank you.

Hedgehog1
April 3rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
I will skip over the "you really should ask these things before you buy a dedicated server you don't have access to", and move on.

Typically, an OS change requires some involvement from a person at the hosting company. Your network will need to be re-setup after the Ubuntu Server OS is installed, and that needs to be done on site.

Also, in many cases the machine you have bought may not be a separate piece of hardware, but may be a virtual machine running as a guest of a mega-server. This means the OS install needs to be done inside (most likely) VMware on site. This is not a bad thing - it has some advantages for you, but we need to know.

So the first question is: What is the hosting companies procedure for a customer installed OS? Once we know that, then we can give you useful technical advice.

The Hedge

:KS