PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitors

dmillerw
April 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
Just curious as to who uses two (or more) monitors here.

I did, up until I installed the 11.04 beta. I dunno why...

vehemoth
April 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
Can't live without them.

Dark_Stang
April 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
At home I don't, 3 machines and 3 separate monitors. At work I've (and everybody I work with) have multiple monitors. Most of us have 2, one of my co-workers has 4 monitors split between 2 machines and uses some synergy software so he can use 1 keyboard and 1 mouse to control both machines. Pretty spiffy.

zebobbybird
April 3rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
I can actually use up to 3 monitors, well, two monitors and a standard def TV on s-video.

Honestly, i do it only to show off, but i prefer working with my one 15" monitor, as opposed to having multiple monitors running.

Random_Dude
April 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Not usually.
Sometimes I connect my desktop PC monitor to my laptop so that I can have dual monitors, but that's just when I really need it.

Cheers :cool:

hyperdude111
April 3rd, 2011, 09:38 AM
For me it's an absolute necessity.

Sean Moran
April 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Whenever I can settle in one place for a few months, and know it. I prefer to have two machines running on a LAN and two monitors and two keyboards on the desk, so I can get some work done on one keyboard, and still remain sociable on the other while the waiting takes place, as tends to happen.

I first thought up the idea of web forums back in 1998, but sometimes I regret it, because this Ubuntu forum is productive, but most of them just prevent people from having a real social life.

Spr0k3t
April 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
When researching, I have to have multiple monitors. I'm currently using three. Find something new... cool, throw it on that monitor over there to keep it up while I take personal notes on another monitor. I also use different desktops at the same time when researching... it's like cloud mapping, but on the computer.

Currently on desktop 2 there are 24 windows open. Three different firefox sessions all total 15 tabs. Desktop 3 has 12 windows open a single firefox session with 8 tabs. Desktop 1 is my playground, three windows only. The 4th desktop has 2 windows, gedit with 18 tabs.

It gets to be a mess sometimes.

mips
April 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Got two. The smaller 22" I use mostly for running my emulators on.

fela
April 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
My Windows PC has two monitors, one 1920x1200 and the other 1920x1080. I used to run Linux with it, however it had a 'dead' area as the monitors resolutions are different heights (seems to be either an nvidia or X.org issue).

I normally use a single dell 17 inch monitor though, with my Arch Linux machine.

fela
April 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
When researching, I have to have multiple monitors. I'm currently using three. Find something new... cool, throw it on that monitor over there to keep it up while I take personal notes on another monitor. I also use different desktops at the same time when researching... it's like cloud mapping, but on the computer.

Currently on desktop 2 there are 24 windows open. Three different firefox sessions all total 15 tabs. Desktop 3 has 12 windows open a single firefox session with 8 tabs. Desktop 1 is my playground, three windows only. The 4th desktop has 2 windows, gedit with 18 tabs.

It gets to be a mess sometimes.

How much RAM is in your system?

shadowfax1
April 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Two Samsung 21.5" HD monitors..Going to have to upgrade the video card though. Anyone know of any good ubuntu wallpapers that would cover both. I noticed 11.04 carried the panel on both sides...hope the finished product is less buggy.

LowSky
April 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm running a 24" 1080p monitor and a 37" 720p HDTV.

phosphide
April 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Is it possible to put different workstations on multiple monitors or can you just extend the one workstation to different monitors?

Foxcow
April 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
My desktop is a dual monitor setup and I love it.

msandoy
April 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have a 24" as main monitor, and 21.5" on the side, for IM, terminal sessions and virtualboxes.

earthpigg
April 3rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
28" and 22"

I have no idea how college students do research papers on laptops with 15" displays.

Spr0k3t
April 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
How much RAM is in your system?

Running 12GB with an i7.

Spr0k3t
April 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Is it possible to put different workstations on multiple monitors or can you just extend the one workstation to different monitors?

You can hook up two separate work stations using Synergy. It doesn't matter how many monitors each system has either. The only thing you can't do is move a running app to the Synergy linked workstation. If you map the drives the same, you can link the data across though.

http://synergy-foss.org/

markp1989
April 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I have used dual monitors for a few years, couldn't live without it.

currently on matched 19" dells.

definetly makes a big difference:

for coding I can use have the code I'm writing on one screen and the man pages or assignment on the other screen.

for writing essays I can do research on one screen and typing on the other.

so it definitely makes me work faster

NMFTM
April 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I just got a second monitor free from a friend. But it's off to the side, otherwise it would block my left speaker. My main is 1680x1050 and the secondary is an older 1280x1024.

The only practical use I've found for it is that I can have Rythmnbox fullscreened on that one while not interfering with my work on this one. Saving the the new seconds it takes to minimize and maximize the player.

Currently it's interfering with my gaming. As fullscreen games will open half in one monitor and half in the other and I've yet to lookup a solution. I'm sure it's a common problem and a simple fix.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I use 2 monitors. A 20" for most things I do, and a 15" to watch TV on.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Currently it's interfering with my gaming. As fullscreen games will open half in one monitor and half in the other and I've yet to lookup a solution. I'm sure it's a common problem and a simple fix.

The only way I've found to fix this is to go into nvidia settings and temporarily disable the second monitor. Only takes a few seconds.

earthpigg
April 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM
The only way I've found to fix this is to go into nvidia settings and temporarily disable the second monitor. Only takes a few seconds.

i keep a non-root nvidia-settings shortcut on my panel just for this purpose. 3 or 4 clicks to go back and forth from productive dual monitor setup to gaming setup.

i wonder, how much of a pain would it be to create a shell script that simply disables one monitor if both are enabled, and does the opposite if the opposite situation is true.

it would function, essentially, as a switch to be flipped.

phosphide
April 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
You can hook up two separate work stations using Synergy. It doesn't matter how many monitors each system has either. The only thing you can't do is move a running app to the Synergy linked workstation. If you map the drives the same, you can link the data across though.

That is actually really cool and I might do that. Though, I don't think my question was specific enough. What I meant by workstations was the different workstations in Ubuntu. Put different workstations specifically tied to different monitors.

Legendary_Bibo
April 4th, 2011, 11:10 PM
My monitor is 27" at 1080p. Who needs dual monitors?

NMFTM
April 5th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Damn, same thing I came up with. Figured there'd be a more eloquent solution.

Off Topic
April 5th, 2011, 09:37 AM

I just want to thank you for this post.

I have 4 systems I use here, 2 desktops a netbook and a server. Main desktop has dual monitors. The desktops and server all had their own keyboard and touchpads, server has a trackball. With Synergy its like a five monitor system all from 1 keyboard and touchpad. I left the KB and TB to the server attached because its always on and didnt want to boot the system acting as the Synergy server if I needed to work on it.

Thanks again.

Off Topic
April 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I use 2 monitors. A 20" for most things I do, and a 15" to watch TV on.

This is what I do on my dual monitor desktop. Not TV though, videos from my server. This desktop used to have three monitors when I used XP. Ild like to get a third monitor on it again but with Synergy it might be superfluous, may just do it anyway.

My old setup with XP before switching to Ubuntu. Main DT 3 monitors, 2nd DT dual monitors, headless HP Media Smart Server. Ive been using multiple desktops since the late 90s and dual monitors on the main PC for so long I dont think I can go back to 1 and 1.

Anduu
April 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have used dual monitors for quite a while...most recently two 19" CRTs.

This last Christmas though my wife got me a 23" widescreen LCD.I tried using one of my old monitors as a second screen but couldn't stand the resolution difference so I am just using the one for now.

I am getting used to it however I do plan on getting a second 23" as soon as possible.

RiceMonster
April 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
On my desktop I've got one 1920x1080 and a 1280x1028. I'm thinking of replacing the 4:3 monitor with another 1080p monitor, but I'm not sure how well it will fit on my desk.

Legendary_Bibo
April 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM
On my desktop I've got one 1920x1080 and a 1280x1028. I'm thinking of replacing the 4:3 monitor with another 1080p monitor, but I'm not sure how well it will fit on my desk.

Replace it with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF5wosF6BjY).

1clue
April 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM
On everything except my phone.

Linux box with a dual head card and monitors (see sig) and on my Mac for work, I have an external monitor set up both at work and at home, along with keyboards, etc.

angry_johnnie
April 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
i had an old 17 inch dell crt monitor and i didnīt really think iīd find another one like it, nowadays, but it just so happened that the company where i work wanted to get rid of lots of old computing stuff, so i got another one for free.

i donīt really think having two monitors is essential, but it looks nice, especially because they are both exactly the same. i wouldnīt have done it if they were different.

i suppose it has its uses. it even made me think of buying a newer, bigger, pair of monitors.:)