PDA

View Full Version : Pidgin and the Yahoo protocol

leviathan8
April 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I haven't found another section to post, so I did it here.
From my experience, I noticed that Pidgin's support for yahoo protocol is getting worse day after day. It all started 6 months ago, when file transfer stopped working. Then it continued without being able to accept new buddies, then changing your avatar, then unblocking the blocked accounts. I can add up the lack of functionality for any sort of multimedia, and also, since a few weeks, my buddies avatars are outdated, and they won't even change.
Is this issue present only for me or others have this problem too? I apologize for making a complaint thread, but I would like to hear other people's perspective on this situation.

uRock
April 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
I use yahoo from time to time and haven't had any problems, but I do not add friends to that account, nor do I do transfers with it.

I do not care for Yahoo as they don't try very hard when it comes to preventing spam.

marshmallow1304
April 2nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
Perhaps Yahoo changes things and the version of Pidgin in Ubuntu doesn't get updated enough? Check your version in Help->About. The latest stable version is 2.7.11, which is available for Ubuntu here:
https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa/

logan85
April 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have the latest pidgin version, and the avatars are outdated for me, too...

msrinath80
April 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Pidgin (formerly Gaim) has always been the worst of Instant messengers. I waited like a whole decade for them to put their act together and offer voice and video. I even offered to help them with the Gaim-vv project. Nope. Never happened. Instead, Google beat them to it and now they offer voice and video inside chrome. Nothing beats that! To be fair, Yahoo has also been a very troubled company. Always changing specs and protocols. They're *trying* to get where Google is though.

Then there's always the option to use gyach/gyache/gyachi. I look at it these days, and I say, really?

Sorry just had to rant :(

Johnsie
April 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Sadly Skype seems to be the only major IM network that Ubuntu supports video/audio well on. There are a few other programs but they are buggy. I've been following the IM scene on Ubuntu since 2005 and not alot has happened in that time.