PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power Statistics (estimating) forever

pcar916
April 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
My search provided no answers that I can find on this specific topic. Up front I don't know if this is a Ubuntu or a Gnome issue.

The environment:
1. Toshiba Satellite Turion 64x2 (dual processor)
2. Dual-boot with Windows 7 Ultimate
3. 32 bit Maverick Meerkat 10.10 (fully up to date, recently upgraded from Lucid Lynx 10.04)
4. Gnome 2.32
5. New battery and old battery act the same

Fact:
- 10.04 did not have this problem. When clicking on the Power Statistics icon in Lucid Lynx I got a power percentage readout immediately.

The Problem:

- Since installing 10.10 clicking on the icon gives me Power Statistics (estimating)
- Going into the applet I have to go to the second tab to get a graph of my power usage and read the current power level from there.
- Preferences don't allow me to change the display.

The effect:
- When the window pops up to tell me that the power is critically low, it's too late. Even when I have the power cord ready and it's at most a few seconds before plugging back in, the computer shuts down.
- The "red" range on the icon display is too large

Suggestion: Most critical first.
1. Insert a preference that allows the user to choose at which percentage to display the critical power level window and have enough time to plug in the power cable.
2. Put a numeric power percentage readout on the icon one click away and get rid of the "estimating" readout.
3. Make the "red" range on the icon start at 10% rather than so high one has to watch it be red too long to mean anything critical.

Any help here would be appreciated. I like 10.10 and spend most of my time in it rather than Windows.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

kio_http
April 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
In terminal, type

sudo acpi

and produce output.

Does the power monitor work in other os's currently e.g windows?

nealmcb
April 2nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
I see the same "estimating", forever, after several full discharge/recharge cycles. For me, acpi says this now:

Battery 0: Charging, 89%, rate information unavailable

This is on a new System76 lemu2

nealmcb
April 3rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
A workaround is described at the launchpad bug for this:

Power applet never shows batterly level - always shows "estimating"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/672770

pcar916
April 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
In terminal, type

sudo acpiand produce output.

Does the power monitor work in other os's currently e.g windows?

The power monitor works fine in Windows 7 and did in 10.04 as well. The command sudo acpi reports "command unavailable" so now I'll figure out where ti is, how to install it and report back.

Thanks!

pcar916
April 3rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
I see the same "estimating", forever, after several full discharge/recharge cycles. For me, acpi says this now:

Battery 0: Charging, 89%, rate information unavailable

This is on a new System76 lemu2

It's been at least 50 complete cycles and the behavior hasn't changed yet.

Thanks!

pcar916
April 3rd, 2011, 01:06 AM
A workaround is described at the launchpad bug for this:
Power applet never shows batterly level - always shows "estimating"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/672770

Problem fixed with this solution. Thanks!