PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite philosopher?

brawnypandora0
April 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
I love Nietzsche's writings. I think his philosophy encourages the human will and psyche to live in its rawest and most essential form, no matter how twisted or perverted it may be.

matthew.ball
April 2nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Bertrand Russell by far.

At the moment, I am an undergraduate in philosophy at ANU (which is a top university in the analytic tradition) and at some point, I plan on doing graduate studies in metaphysics.

Most of my philosophical influences come from early 20th century analytic philosophers - Frege and Tarski in particular. Though there are some later figures like Dummett and Kripke.

gnomeuser
April 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
David Hume

Legeril
April 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Bill Hicks

gutterslob
April 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ayrton Senna

handy
April 2nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
I like the Northern Buddhist philosophies. I find the Evans-Wentz edited, 3rd edition (or later includes a wonderful commentary by Carl Jung) of The Tibetan Book of the Dead, (Oxford Press) to be by far the most fascinating & thought provoking book that I have ever read.

That doesn't really answer the question, as the philosophies, understandings & practices that such have led to, have been developing for many thousands of years. Long before Buddhism, & its parent group of philosophies that fall under the umbrella of Hinduism.

It is true that some of the above have sects that are more religious than others. Those that I am drawn to are adherents to the scientific studies of existence/consciousness via varieties of practical disciplines which bring about education & growth through inner experience.

treesurf
April 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
I can't say I have an absolute favorite, but handy you should like my answer:

Nagarjuna

realzippy
April 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
bomb20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9-Niv2Xh7w&feature=related

malspa
April 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Coltrane's sax.

handy
April 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
@treesurf: I certainly do. :KS

el_koraco
April 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
wittgenstein. as a wiser man than me said about him: he was a miserable ****, but at least he was honest about it.

MooPi
April 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Al Bundy not for his spoken philosophy, but his actions speak volumes on a life vision based on his personal philosophy.

andymorton
April 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Albert Camus

Sean Moran
April 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Now Lennon's moved on from this realm.there remains only one living prophet that I know. Van Morrison.

She's as sweet as tupelo honey.

Simian Man
April 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Immanuel Kant.

jtcady
April 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
None. My philosophy professor has destroyed it for me.

Dustin2128
April 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Locke, Rousseau, and Voltaire, in that order.

fuduntu
April 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
I roll my own.

bouncingwilf
April 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Mr Murphy - I particularly like his law that states "The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train" so apt on so many occasions!

Bouncingwilf

urukrama
April 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Jiva Gosvami

DeadSuperHero
April 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
wittgenstein. as a wiser man than me said about him: he was a miserable ****, but at least he was honest about it.

My roommate is really into the Tractatus, and often will explain to me Wittgenstein's concepts to me in a way that I would understand it. I feel that I've learned a lot, and I really enjoy his philosophy, as well as his concepts of the definition of Infinity.

I really enjoy Jean-Paul Sartre, one of the big names in Existentialism. His "Existentialism is a Humanism" was particularly easy to read, and extremely enjoyable.

Plato's Socratic dialogues were incredible. Kant and Hume are particularly interesting to read in relation to their ideas about knowledge.

I just enjoy a good read, I guess.

wojox
April 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Einstein. <- Winner

youbuntu
April 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
My Dad :)

taylorc209
April 2nd, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hands down, Plato.

"Western Philosophy is just a series of footnotes to Plato."
--Alfred Whitehead

youbuntu
April 2nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hands down, Plato.

What's wrong with me having my hands up? Oh, and my name's not Plato!

treehermit
April 2nd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Take a look at Taoism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism)

It as mystic as a mainscale religion can get..

sisco311
April 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Albert Camus

+1

Yep, Albert Camus is my favorite too, Albert Camus and Homer Jay Simpson.

handy
April 3rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Jiva Gosvami

I had a look at Bhakti Yoga; - Love & Devotion, some time ago. Jiva Gosvami, was certainly incredibly special.

Take a look at Taoism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism)

It as mystic as a mainscale religion can get..

Who wins a truth arm-wrestle? ... :lolflag:

"The truth that can be spoken, is not the truth." Lao Tzu

There are many approaches to emptiness.

danbuter
April 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
Lao Tze or Martin Heidegger. Both taught me a lot.

standingwave
April 3rd, 2011, 01:28 AM
George Carlin, stand-up philosopher (and philologist)

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

When someone asks you, A penny for your thoughts and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Why is the man (or woman) who invests all your money called a broker?

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Women like silent men, they think they're listening.

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second best policy.

danbuter
April 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
None. My philosophy professor has destroyed it for me.

Lord knows the professor I had for Philosophy tried his hardest. I think he managed to make at least 20 people hate philosophy in general.

bikeboy
April 3rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
My favourite current philosopher would be Massimo Pigliucci, one of the contributors to http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/ and Fellow of http://www.csicop.org/

Hard to pick a favourite out of the rest.

Ichtyandr
April 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM
Karl Popper

giddyup306
April 3rd, 2011, 05:13 AM
I love Nietzsche's writings.

Word. I have him as an avitar on another forum.

Or is Homer Simpson my favorite? Tough call. lol