PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GNOME 3 rescehdule

nkae100
April 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
How do people people feel about the reshedule of GNOME 3?

I think they made the right choice. I would rather wait for high quality software, than something thats fairly stable, but released a bit earlier to 'keep up with competitors'.

nickleboyblue
April 2nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
They've already rescheduled too many times. If they had, for example, allowed Ubuntu developers to aid in the development of gnome 3, they would not only have it out by now, but it would also have several more features than it already does.

Sure, I like gnome 3, but in catering to a new audience, it overlooks some major key features that Unity focuses hard on. I honestly like the look and feel of gnome 3 better than Unity, but the potential functionality of Unity by far tips the scale for me.

Gnome has had a history of refusing to collaborate with sister projects. KDE is one of them, and now Ubuntu. With so few resources at their disposal to begin with, my opinion is that they've overlooked one opportunity too many.

karmila
April 2nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Is it april fool?

Shibblet
April 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
How do people people feel about the reshedule of GNOME 3?

I think they made the right choice. I would rather wait for high quality software, than something thats fairly stable, but released a bit earlier to 'keep up with competitors'.

I think they have too. The claim is that it doesn't work well with Firefox's Gecko renderer, which may be the case for not releasing it immediately. However, they could take the extra time to tweak a few things to make it better.

It's funny to me how Linux users are always accepting to delayed schedules.

Personally, I'd like to see Canonical sit tight on one release and make sure everything is flawless before their main release. This holds especially true with Unity.

Unity was released with Maverick, but there are a few things that need to be re-thought. And those things may be taken care of for Natty, but once again, we will see other problems.

Ubuntu, like other distros, could have a stable release, followed by development releases that aren't official. I personally think Ubuntu releases come too quickly.