PDA

View Full Version : Major security hole found in Linux kernel

mmix
April 2nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
confirmed?

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/major-security-hole-found-in-linux-kernel-45303

It didn't take me long to narrow down the problem being a floating pointer in the dma drivers section of the kernel. I had a look further and saw that in the dma channel registers for the intel chipset (the chipset the motherboard uses in this netbook) in the union called intel_mid_dma_cfg_lo there is an element called reser2 with a default value of 6.

In the code of this dma driver reser2 never goes higher than 5 yet the driver for the graphics card was trying to access 6 when the scan rate combined with the netbooks native screen resolution and a fully saturated color, such as white or blue was displayed.

So I had a look into what happens when reser2 is called as 6 and found the floating pointer. As this is a floating pointer it can be directed to any part of the computers memory and access the functions there. This means that I could very easily use this pointer to access ring 0 mode of the kernel and have root access to any part of the computer.

This is a major security hole as it is very easy to exploit. I checked and it is in all the 2.6 series of the kernel. It is not in the 2.4 series as they use the older dma method. I have sent a patch to kernel.org and I hope they don't ignore me as they did with my ATI rage patch. This is too important and has the potential to botnet every current Linux distribution installed today.

3rdalbum
April 2nd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Would require malicious code to be running already, so no it's not likely to "botnet every current Linux distribution".