PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity improvement idea

carltonh
April 2nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
I posted an idea to significantly improve Unity for power user usage at the link below, but I'm not sure if it is the best place to communicate it. I know it is probably too late for 11.04, but seems super-useful and appropriate for Unity.

https://answers.launchpad.net/unity-shell/+question/150497

Here is what I wrote:

As a power-user accountant who is using Ubuntu 11.04, the major limitation of Unity and reason to stick to classic view is the difficulty in always knowing what windows are currently active in the current desktop.

I see too possible solutions to fix this that seem to still fit the spirit of Unity.
1. When you click the Ubuntu button or the Super button on the keyboard, the bottom of overlay should include a panel/taskbar or such that shows all the open windows on that desktop.

2. Maybe more Unity like, but slightly less power-user like, would be to include on the overlay the switcher or something like it that pops up when you hold down ALT key and quickly press and release TAB.

I also think it would be useful if the Overlay could switch directly to the Task Switcher and the Task Switcher directly to the Overlay.
----
I just realized the obvious, appropriate, and simple answer for this. (Simple not necessarily in coding, I'm not a programmer.)

The "window title" or "application menu" top panel is not used and just wasted space when you start the dash overlay. A named list of open applications and windows, just like the standard bottom Gnome2 panel like Ubuntu 10.10, should appear on this top panel when the dash is up. Perhaps a further advancement can make it 2 rows deep, (as KDE and WinXP can, though not automatically) when there are enouch open windows to make it crowded.

3Miro
April 2nd, 2011, 02:33 AM
When you open a window from an application, then you get a little triangle next to the dock launcher. Depending on whether the application is opened on the current workspace or not, the triangle is on the left or right.

If you want to see actual text (like the one I have for my current, chromium icon next to "Ubuntu Forums"), then that would be more complicated. However, I do agree that we could use more applets on the top panel.