PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gconf-editor show_desktop -- Won't stay unchecked?

Buying_Some_Time
April 1st, 2011, 10:01 PM
I have to use gconf-editor -> apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop -> and uncheck it in order to get multiple wallpapers enabled, I have to do this every time I boot. Why won't my change save?

Any help would be great thanks!

Krytarik
April 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Check the permissions of "~/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/%gconf.xml":

ls -al ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/%gconf.xmlThey should be like this:

-rw------- 1 krytarik krytarik 7843 2011-04-02 00:37 /home/krytarik/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/%gconf.xml
Greetings.

Buying_Some_Time
April 1st, 2011, 11:56 PM
Hey, thanks for the help!

When I enter in the command, I get this:

-rw------- 1 umightb umightb 0 2011-03-26 20:43 /home/umightb/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/%gconf.xml

Is that right?

Krytarik
April 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM
-rw------- 1 umightb umightb 0 2011-03-26 20:43 /home/umightb/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/%gconf.xmlIs that right?
I don't guess so, because its file size is "0". Thanks for posting it.

Run this command to reset the "preferences" and restart Nautilus, close all of its windows before:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/nautilus/preferences && killall nautilusTo disable those option again, run:

gconftool-2 /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop --type bool --set false

Buying_Some_Time
April 2nd, 2011, 02:28 AM
Okay, I did everything you said, but it still it still didn't work.

:confused::confused:

Krytarik
April 2nd, 2011, 04:06 AM
Has a new file been created now?

Buying_Some_Time
April 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Has a new file been created now?

No, when I enter the command that you first gave me I now get this

/home/umightb/.gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/%gconf.xml: No such file or directory

Krytarik
April 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
The cause may be wrong ownerships and/or permissions. Please make sure first, that all the contents of your home directory are owned by yourself, run this command:

sudo chown umightb.umightb -R /home/umightbAlso, try to create a file in that directory, before and after running those command.

Buying_Some_Time
April 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Okay. I did what you said and I know that I can add/edit/delete and create files in my home directory with and without that command you gave me, but I still can't get "show_desktop" to stay unchecked after I restart. :(

Krytarik
April 3rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Are you running any custom startup apps then?

Buying_Some_Time
April 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
Are you running any custom startup apps then?
Sorry, but what's a custom start up app? :confused::confused::confused:

Krytarik
April 3rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Sorry, but what's a custom start up app? :confused::confused::confused:
Basically, did you add any apps to "System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications", or did you put any commands somewhere to be run at startup?

Buying_Some_Time
April 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Basically, did you add any apps to "System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications", or did you put any commands somewhere to be run at startup?

Nope, I haven't changed anything there.

Krytarik
April 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM
You may try creating a fresh user and check if the issue occurs with those as well.

Buying_Some_Time
April 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM
You may try creating a fresh user and check if the issue occurs with those as well.

Okay, I'm going to try that!