PDA

View Full Version : Elementary OS

jonbwilson
April 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
So, the first iteration of the Elementary OS, Jupiter, has officially been released. I love pretty much everything I've seen from Elementary from both an aesthetic and functional point of view. I'm genuinely curious and am downloading the torrent right now.

Have any of you guys and gals tried it out yet? What do you think?

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM
I would love to try it but what are the system requirements?

jonbwilson
April 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
I would love to try it but what are the system requirements?

That's a good question. Their website is very lacking in information, which is a bit discouraging, IMO.

My guess would be that if you can run the Elementary GTK theme on Ubuntu then your system will probably be able to handle it. It's pretty much Ubuntu with a different set of apps and a different interface as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong.

Frogs Hair
April 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
The only system information I found indicated it's only available in 32 bit. System requirements should be the one the first things displayed on an OS website. :confused:

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Very true, but I am going to try a live USB. It is almost done, I am very excited. I love the Elementary stuff. I do not like the dock though. I am going to change that, docks are not my thing. But this looks like it has the potential to be a great OS. Looking forward to trying it out!

The only system information I found indicated it's only available in 32 bit. System requirements should be the one the first things displayed on an OS website. :confused:

jonbwilson
April 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM
I read a little more about it on OMG!ubuntu and it's apparently a much lighter and stripped down distro than Ubuntu, so I would guess the sys requirements are less than those for a normal Ubuntu distro. After reading the review I'm not so sure I'm interested in installing it quite yet. Seems like it's not quite ready for daily use.

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
I read a little more about it on OMG!ubuntu and it's apparently a much lighter and stripped down distro than Ubuntu, so I would guess the sys requirements are less than those for a normal Ubuntu distro. After reading the review I'm not so sure I'm interested in installing it quite yet. Seems like it's not quite ready for daily use.

I actually just installed it. It is pretty good so far. It does not have all of that crap that Ubuntu comes Pre Installed with such as OpenOffice or all of the games. I am sure some people like that, but I do not. It only comes with:

Midori Internet Browser
AbiWord
Empathy IM
Postler Email
Dexter for Contacts
Lingo Dictionary
Shotwell Photo Manager
Gnumeric
Ubuntu Software Center
and
Synaptic.

A few problems though. I cannot customize the panels. The dock I can, but I cannot remove the dock and replace it with a panel. I cannot add stuff to the top panel such as weather and a force quit icon. I have not been able to put anything on the desktop. But remember this is a first release and things can only get better from here. This is a good effort from the Elementary team. I have loved what the team has done with themes and Icons, and did not know they were coming out with an OS until today! This is a great start, fast OS, Beautiful themes, icons and wallpapers. Pretty good and fast. Great start. Test it out, runs great off live cd or USB. To make a live USB I used UNetBootin.

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
This is not a help thread, this is just to let everyone who does not know about the Elementary OS! It is finally here! From the makers of the Elementary themes and icon, comes Elementary OS Jupiter.
Here is what I wrote for my torrent on The Pirate Bay for it. (I only uploaded because I can get more seeders on there than I got downloading it from the actual site.)

Elementary OS Jupiter 0.2:
http://www.elementaryos.org

From the makers of the Elementary Icons and Themes for Ubuntu and Ubuntu based operating systems come their next landmark project. Elementary OS Jupiter. A complete Linux Operating System based on Ubuntu that only includes the programs you need. Not the ones they think you may want. This is a first release and it will only get better with time. Beautiful Operating System, runs great and fast! Comes with:

Gnome 2.32.0
Midori Internet Browser (Firefox is available in the repos!)
Postler Email
Dexter Contact Manager
Empathy IM
Lingo Dictionary
Shotwell Photo Manager
AbiWord
Gnumeric
Ubuntu Software Center
and
Synaptic

This is a great first attempt and I cannot wait to see how this project goes! I think this is a whole new revolution in Linux! =-] From here, Elementary can go anywhere! I would definatly like to see an Ubuntu Based OS, that does not remind me that I am using Ubuntu that is basically skinned. But not a bad start at all!

What do you guys think of this project? Do you think it will take off or will it crash and burn quickly? Give it a try!

David

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
So, tell me this; if it is NOT an April Fool's joke, then why do you explicitly state such on the homepage? You have 364 other days in the year, none of which are April Fool's day... so why do you state that, today?

Hmmmmm... highly suspicious, and a little coincidental that it is introduced to us now. A little like a teenager saying to his parents, as they leave him on his own while they go abroad "No Mum & Dad, I PROMISE I won't have <Certain Girl's Name> round to sleep tonight.

It may be legitimate, but I ain't spending ~600Mb to find out, thanks.

jerenept
April 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
so, tell me this; if it is not an april fool's joke, then why do you explicitly state such on the homepage? You have 364 other days in the year, none of which are april fool's day... So why do you state that, today?

Hmmmmm... Highly suspicious, and a little coincidental that it is introduced to us now. A little like a teenager saying to his parents, as they leave him on his own while they go abroad "no mum & dad, i promise i won't have <certain girl's name> round to sleep tonight.

It may be legitimate, but i ain't spending ~600mb to find out, thanks.

............................................______ __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_......... .._,-%.......`

They pay for bandwidth, you know.

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 10:40 PM

Where do I send them my invoice for my bandwidth, then?

jerenept
April 1st, 2011, 10:44 PM
Where do I send them my invoice for my bandwidth, then?

I see what you did there. http://omgcheesecake.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/iseewhatyoudidthere.png

Simian Man
April 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM
It would be epically awesome if, when you boot the Live CD, all it did was play a Rick Roll or something.

Actually, from the looks of it, that would be more useful than the actual distro :).

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
So, tell me this; if it is NOT an April Fool's joke, then why do you explicitly state such on the homepage? You have 364 other days in the year, none of which are April Fool's day... so why do you state that, today?

Hmmmmm... highly suspicious, and a little coincidental that it is introduced to us now. A little like a teenager saying to his parents, as they leave him on his own while they go abroad "No Mum & Dad, I PROMISE I won't have <Certain Girl's Name> round to sleep tonight.

It may be legitimate, but I ain't spending ~600Mb to find out, thanks.
I assure you it is not an April Fools day joke. I am using it right now, here is a screen shot!

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
It would be epically awesome if, when you boot the Live CD, all it did was play a Rick Roll or something.

Actually, from the looks of it, that would be more useful than the actual distro :).

Haha I would be very pissed.

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 11:00 PM
I assure you it is not an April Fools day joke. I am using it right now, here is a screen shot!

And a PNG proves nothing, sorry.

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
And a PNG proves nothing, sorry.

Why would they post this as an april fools day joke, and their site does not say it is one, it says "No, It is not an April Fools Day joke"
wow

tjeremiah
April 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM
elementary OS ‘Jupiter’ released, reviewed
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/elementary-os-jupiter-released-reviewed/

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM
elementary OS ‘Jupiter’ released, reviewed
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/elementary-os-jupiter-released-reviewed/

Thank you! See, it is not an april fools day joke!

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thank you! See, it is not an april fools day joke!

Okay, fair enough, but to put the fact on the site... seems redundant, and causes suspicion.

galacticaboy
April 1st, 2011, 11:36 PM
Okay, fair enough, but to put the fact on the site... seems redundant, and causes suspicion.

True and I understand I was a little skeptical at first, but I am a distro hopper and went for it, and actually I am pretty satisfied! It runs pretty good, a wee but buggy, I won't lie, but will only get better with time!

Yes
April 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
...A complete Linux Operating System based on Ubuntu that only includes the programs you need. Not the ones they think you may want...

Except I don't need half the programs it comes with...

How is this different from Ubuntu?

ojdon
April 2nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
What kernel version is it using? Could someone run "uname -r" for me. Thanks!

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 12:05 AM
It is based off of Ubuntu 10.10 and the Kernel Version is 2.6.35-28-generic! Hope this helps!
David

What kernel version is it using? Could someone run "uname -r" for me. Thanks!

jonbwilson
April 2nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
I just booted it up from a Live CD. I think it might be a bit too simple for my taste. I liked that it didn't come pre-installed with a bunch of stuff I never use, but I don't like the seeming lack of customization out of the box. Plus there's no music player, which is weird? I mean, I know you can install rhythmbox from the software center, but it seems like that's something that pretty much everyone uses.

It seems like a great option if you're looking for a slick, fast, bare bones system to surf the web and check email. I'm a tweaker so it kind of bugs me to not have all those options there if I want them out of the box. I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for now, but I'm really curious to see how this project progresses.

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Except I don't need half the programs it comes with...

How is this different from Ubuntu?

It is not really that different from Ubuntu. It is really an OS that is skinned and has fewer programs. You can install more from the software center. But this OS is perfect for me and it still lets me stay in the Ubuntu family! More will come in time.

Dobbie03
April 2nd, 2011, 02:04 AM
I am using Elementary OS now. It looks nice and the splash screen is nice with the pulsing 'e'.

I like it but it does have a few issues, for example, opening a folder from "Places" other than the Home folder is unreliable. Sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks to open.

youbuntu
April 2nd, 2011, 02:23 AM
Do we need another Debian--->Deriv--->Deriv of Deriv?

I still admire you massively for having achieved this!!

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
I am using Elementary OS now. It looks nice and the splash screen is nice with the pulsing 'e'.

I like it but it does have a few issues, for example, opening a folder from "Places" other than the Home folder is unreliable. Sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks to open.

Yes Elementary OS is awesome! I am using it as my Primary OS now, there are some issues but like I am telling everyone, "It will only get better with time" especially when they officially open up the forums for it!

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 03:54 AM
I just booted it up from a Live CD. I think it might be a bit too simple for my taste. I liked that it didn't come pre-installed with a bunch of stuff I never use, but I don't like the seeming lack of customization out of the box. Plus there's no music player, which is weird? I mean, I know you can install rhythmbox from the software center, but it seems like that's something that pretty much everyone uses.

It seems like a great option if you're looking for a slick, fast, bare bones system to surf the web and check email. I'm a tweaker so it kind of bugs me to not have all those options there if I want them out of the box. I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for now, but I'm really curious to see how this project progresses.

I understand what you mean, I to was suprised by the lack of stuff and a media player. But when asked about it, Elementary basically said that they wanted to create a basic bare minimum Linux Distro based on Ubuntu, that only had basic programs that most people want. I understand that it is bare, and the lack of a music program was suprising since Elementary is working on their own music player, but like I am telling everyone, it will only get better in time. I am using it as my primary OS and I love it. It is not that customizable yet, but more things are coming! It is great and a great first attempt! Good job elementary!

chrisharrington
April 2nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
I understand that it is bare, and the lack of a music program was suprising since Elementary is working on their own music player,

Actually, that explains to me why there is no music player. Why install some other player if you plan on releasing your own anyway (assuming you want to encourage its use)?

Just a thought.

I'm going to try to install on some low spec machines (256MB RAM etc.) to see how it does.

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Actually, that explains to me why there is no music player. Why install some other player if you plan on releasing your own anyway (assuming you want to encourage its use)?

Just a thought.

I'm going to try to install on some low spec machines (256MB RAM etc.) to see how it does.

It does make sense! It works very well on my older PC

Elementary OS Jupiter 0.2
Gnome 2.23.0
Kernel 2.6.35-25-generic
running on
479.9MB of RAM (I hate on board Video Cards...)
20GB of Hard Drive space
Pentium 4 Processor (over 2Ghz)

It runs really fast and smooth, a wee bit buggy, but like I keep saying, it will only get better with time. (If no one can tell, I am already a huge fan of Elementary OS Jupiter, it is great and fast. The actual first Linux Distro to run this fast on my PC. I am loving every minute of it! It feels just like a new PC!)

David

overdrank
April 2nd, 2011, 06:42 AM
Threads merged :)

koleoptero
April 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind ppl that this is the first release of elementary OS. They don't have half the things they are planning ready yet, like their file manager marlin, that launcher thing, their own dock, rhythm-e or whatever etc.

And this is not just a remake of ubuntu, it's based on ubuntu but it includes original software, like dexter/postler, etc. It's more than some other derivatives can say.

Also take into account that it's only been about 1 year since they even thought of releasing a new OS and already they're doing so. They don't have hundreds of developers they still they made some of the software they have planned.

I believe we'll see great things from the elementary team.

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Keep in mind ppl that this is the first release of elementary OS. They don't have half the things they are planning ready yet, like their file manager marlin, that launcher thing, their own dock, rhythm-e or whatever etc.

And this is not just a remake of ubuntu, it's based on ubuntu but it includes original software, like dexter/postler, etc. It's more than some other derivatives can say.

Also take into account that it's only been about 1 year since they even thought of releasing a new OS and already they're doing so. They don't have hundreds of developers they still they made some of the software they have planned.

I agree, this OS is great and great things will come!

thebelial
April 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
If anyone knows how to enable right click on desktop or even to customize the top panel, let me know. I'm confused as to why they would strip these features out of vanilla gnome. They're pretty much the basics.

It does run fast and so far it's pretty stable. Like mentioned earlier, there is a weird bug with certain "Places" folders not opening upon initial launch. Also, the pinned file manager folder in the dock doesn't open at all. But it's not too bad so far. I think some of these things needed to be addressed in the beta. I guess that's a problem when you don't publicly release one.

Also the lack of a 64bit version was a bit of a turn off but it did install the PAE kernel for me by default. So it will use all of your ram if you have 4GB+. Things also seem a bit more stable with 32bit when dealing with streaming video.

subgenii
April 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
To enable right-click on desktop, open gconf-editor: /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop.
To edit panel: /apps/panel/global/locked_down

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
To enable right-click on desktop, open gconf-editor: /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop.

Yeah I am not sure why they locked it down, I guess it was to keep new users from messing it up. But as long as there is a way to unlock it, I am fine with it. I love this OS!

LarsKongo
April 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Bugs when installing guest additions in VirtualBox. Infinite nautilus loop. Same thing happens if you install nautilus-elementary in Ubuntu 10.10 + guest additions. Could be guest additions bug or nautilus-elementary bug, or compiz, or a combination of them all. :P It has been present in many older versions of the guest additions too, but only on Ubuntu 10.10.

thebelial
April 2nd, 2011, 04:32 PM

Awesome, thanks.

Lucradia
April 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
It's only i386, boo.

shuttleworthwannabe
April 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
If performance is what u want then wait for 11.04

jonbwilson
April 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM

Agreed. I think I'll wait until marlin and all that other stuff is included before I do a full install. I want to have the full package before I make a commitment like that. It did inspire me to bust out the elementary theme on my Ubuntu, though. Now if only I could get those splash screens...

unknownPoster
April 3rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
if performance is what u want then quit using ubuntu

:p

Plumtreed
April 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
:p

.........he didn't say that:(

galacticaboy
April 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Agreed. I think I'll wait until marlin and all that other stuff is included before I do a full install. I want to have the full package before I make a commitment like that. It did inspire me to bust out the elementary theme on my Ubuntu, though. Now if only I could get those splash screens...

Yes when that stuff comes out, hopefully next release, or even as an update or something, this OS will take off and FLY! It will be great!

chrisharrington
April 4th, 2011, 07:15 AM

PIII 850Mhz, 380MB RAM, 40GB HD, Gforce MX200(?), Jupiter installs fine, seems to run fine at the moment. However, I realised the old ball mouse I had plugged in was missing the ball after starting the install process. It is a credit to Ubuntu that the install still went off without a hitch and then booted fine. Need to connect a mouse though obviously to see how snappy the system is. Also, the proprietary driver icon is showing up in the system tray area, not sure if that is the Gforce driver or something else, and need to plug a mouse in to find out. (I'm not in my usual work place and there are no mice to be found here.)

Perfect Storm
April 5th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Any plans for 64-bit version?

galacticaboy
April 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I am pretty sure there is plans for a 64bit version as well. I seen somewhere plans for a KDE and XFCE version once they get their main version the way they want it, with all of their products, and remove the gnome bar and use their WingPanel. After they do that, there will probably be different desktop environments and a 64bit.

kadafy
April 5th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Here is a video preview of some of the other things they work on. Like a lot of people say, it has a very OS X like feel. I agree, but I feel like it's different enough to stand out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFwHTcSZjAk

galacticaboy
April 6th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Here is a video preview of some of the other things they work on. Like a lot of people say, it has a very OS X like feel. I agree, but I feel like it's different enough to stand out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFwHTcSZjAk

After watching that, I am more excited about the future of this OS! I think this will be an awesome OS! It is already great! Thanks for sharing!!

aenemic
April 6th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'm currently experiencing some problems in Ubuntu and want to try something new. Sorry if this is a very newbish question, but is it possible to start this install directly from Ubuntu, without a CD/USB-stick?

Ezeh
April 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM
You should just be able to mount the iso shouldn't you?

aenemic
April 6th, 2011, 12:43 PM
So I don't actually have to put it on a CD/USB-stick and reboot to start the install? That would be fantastic!

kadafy
April 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM
After watching that, I am more excited about the future of this OS! I think this will be an awesome OS! It is already great! Thanks for sharing!!
Exactly why I love this community. (: It definitely has a nice future.

galacticaboy
April 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM
For all of you who have asked, Elementary OS Jupiter is now available in a 64bit version!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/elementary-os-adds-64bit-support-direct-download/

Perfect Storm
April 7th, 2011, 04:07 PM
For all of you who have asked, Elementary OS Jupiter is now available in a 64bit version!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/elementary-os-adds-64bit-support-direct-download/

Thanks!!!

Lucradia
April 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM

I've been having troubles with omgubuntu. Always says server not found, or timeout, etc.

galacticaboy
April 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I've been having troubles with omgubuntu. Always says server not found, or timeout, etc.

OMG! Ubuntu! is having problems with the servers. If you really want to download the 64bit version, Click on this link, http://sourceforge.net/projects/elementaryos/files/ that will take you to the page that lets you download the 32 or 64bit versions! Happy OSing...

galacticaboy
April 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks!!!

You are most welcome! Enjoy this sexy Linux Distro!

slushee
April 7th, 2011, 09:10 PM
So, the first iteration of the Elementary OS, Jupiter, has officially been released. I love pretty much everything I've seen from Elementary from both an aesthetic and functional point of view. I'm genuinely curious and am downloading the torrent right now.

Have any of you guys and gals tried it out yet? What do you think?

i'm on it right now. very clean and attractive ui. it runs so snappy that my six year old computer actually feels brand new. the panel lockdown is strange, but it is easy enough to work around. and i dislike how the date-time doesn't display the drop down calendar. the default email client, postler, is absolutely perfect and makes evolution look like a dinosaur on mescaline. midori is the default browser, which i don't like; i wiped it and am now running chrome, which looks sexy when sporting the gtk-theme and system border.

b+

galacticaboy
April 7th, 2011, 11:41 PM
i'm on it right now. very clean and attractive ui. it runs so snappy that my six year old computer actually feels brand new. the panel lockdown is strange, but it is easy enough to work around. and i dislike how the date-time doesn't display the drop down calendar. the default email client, postler, is absolutely perfect and makes evolution look like a dinosaur on mescaline. midori is the default browser, which i don't like; i wiped it and am now running chrome, which looks sexy when sporting the gtk-theme and system border.

b+

If you go to elementaryos.org, there is a download PDF file that tells you how to enable the desktop and other things they have locked down for beginners. They are working on the site and are adding new things daily. They have added around 4 or 5 things since this morning.

Perfect Storm
April 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM
This is a keeper for me :)
I even made a video of my Desktop of it :P http://youtu.be/KoIfJPCMh0U?hd=1

kadafy
April 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Just wanted to share this with you guys, in case you're interested. I found that the theme with Empathy seemed to be a little, bland to say the least. What I did was install the Adium GAIA theme (Made by Florian Pichler), and tweaked the font family and font size to make it more Elementary like. You can see in the screenshot I attached. If you're interested, I'll upload it and share it. (:

Rennonz
April 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Just wanted to share this with you guys, in case you're interested. I found that the theme with Empathy seemed to be a little, bland to say the least. What I did was install the Adium GAIA theme (Made by Florian Pichler), and tweaked the font family and font size to make it more Elementary like. You can see in the screenshot I attached. If you're interested, I'll upload it and share it. (:

Ohh I like this! It would be rockin' if you could upload it.

kadafy
April 11th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Done and done. I updated the icon from green, to a blue that's part of the Elementary theme. I think it looks nicer.

Just extract the tarball to ~/.local/share/adium/message-styles/*.AdiumMessageStyle and the theme name is GAIA Low.

DeemanXu
April 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'm dying to try out this OS, but, everytime i download the amd64, or 32 bit version for that matter the MD5 Sums don't match. i've even tried creating a start-up disk, and suffer the same fate. Guess I'll have to stick with 11.04 beta :(

DeemanXu
April 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Solved, and now installed, and running. Impressed much, hell yes.:popcorn:

grimey01
April 27th, 2011, 05:47 AM
i hated ubuntu, hated apt-get, hated gnome

i used to use opensuse as my primary and once in a while go distro-hopping..

elementary is perfect for me.. it seems very complete and im sure in time it will get better. im really hoping the new dock, music player, and shell that theyre coming out with will be well worth it..

they need to try to get rid of all the ubuntu branding as well but i love the tight gtk integration

it works a lot faster than ubuntu and opensuse.. probably because of less services starting up..

but yea.. good stuff.. except they need a forum.. google searches show they had a forum but its been down for atleast a month

Perfect Storm
April 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
An important note for eOS users: http://elementaryos.org/

It has come to our attention that on Thursday, April 28, 2011, users of elementary OS Jupiter may be prompted to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04. We strongly urge you not to do so if you are prompted to; not because we do not want you using Ubuntu, but because the upgrade process may render your install unusable. We have taken the appropriate measures of pushing out an update that will prevent the prompt from appearing. Please run Update Manager (System > Administration > Update Manager) as soon as possible to receive this update, and do not choose to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 if prompted.

blaede22
April 29th, 2011, 06:35 AM
i hated ubuntu, hated apt-get, hated gnome

i used to use opensuse as my primary and once in a while go distro-hopping..

elementary is perfect for me.. it seems very complete and im sure in time it will get better. im really hoping the new dock, music player, and shell that theyre coming out with will be well worth it..

they need to try to get rid of all the ubuntu branding as well but i love the tight gtk integration

it works a lot faster than ubuntu and opensuse.. probably because of less services starting up..

but yea.. good stuff.. except they need a forum.. google searches show they had a forum but its been down for atleast a month

I'm Cassidy James, one of the elementary web devs. Soon we are going to be launching our new site that has an extensive wiki and some really cool Stack Exchange style support stuff on it (instead of a forum). We took the old forum down because it had pretty much just become an unmoderated wasteland with all kinds of misinformation. :P

blaede22
April 29th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I am pretty sure there is plans for a 64bit version as well. I seen somewhere plans for a KDE and XFCE version once they get their main version the way they want it, with all of their products, and remove the gnome bar and use their WingPanel. After they do that, there will probably be different desktop environments and a 64bit.

We now have an official 64-bit build, but I don't think there are any plans to release versions with different DEs. In fact, we're working on Pantheon, which will be a DE in and of itself. :D

grimey01
April 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
We now have an official 64-bit build, but I don't think there are any plans to release versions with different DEs. In fact, we're working on Pantheon, which will be a DE in and of itself. :D

from what ive found on the net, pantheon will have pages of icons rather than a menu.. would it be possible to use a regular menu instead of the icon search thing?

el_koraco
April 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM
My, just checked out the mockups for the next release. Great work, guys, this might be worth trying out before reinstalling Kubuntu.

jimaz
April 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
el_koraco: Where did you find the mockups?

el_koraco
April 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Google WingPanel, Elementary OS Pantheon and Plank Dock. Actually, you can try most of out on Ubuntu for yourself.

brunofsribeiro
May 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Just want to add that i´ve found elementary an amazing os.

I´m only a little more than a beginner on ubuntu, i´ve been on ubuntu since 10.10, installed 11.04 and found so much slower and unresponsive(unity?) even tried Classic desktop but still slow on a core 2 duo 2gb nvidia laptop. Found Elementary by accident, tried it and what a difference. "Everything" of what a looked for on a linux distro.

Amazingly fast and responsive, awesomely tweaked nautilus, beautifully simple. And also, not less important, stripped down from all unnecessary software, down to bare essentials. I´ll install other software when i need it.

Looking forward to contribute to the development of this OS.
But it´s already great.

Please keep it stripped, fast and simple.

el_koraco
May 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Midori displays pages better and "truer" than any other browser. It also uses 40 MB of ram with a trunkload of tabs open. Very, very impressed.

screaminj3sus
May 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
Midori displays pages better and "truer" than any other browser. It also uses 40 MB of ram with a trunkload of tabs open. Very, very impressed.

How does it display anything "better" and "truer". That doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of other webkit based browsers. Midori is nice but IMO its not quite ready yet, and chrome is a bit better. It does indeed have good resource usage though

el_koraco
May 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
A few pages I've visited that other browsers have had problems rendering look exactly as "intended" with Midori. It's still crash prone, though, and needs a lot more work, but it made great strides even in the last two months.

Btw, anyone notice how Midori and Epiphany lock up when visiting Ubuntu's main site? It's hilarious.

Chrome is still the best, but Midori is just fine as a backup browser.

Perfect Storm
May 3rd, 2011, 05:12 AM
There's a new version of Midori out, you might want to check it.
http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/archives/2011/05.html

el_koraco
May 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Goodie, some compiling woes.

fremantle
May 4th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I have created a customized version of eOS, would be glad if someone tried it out : eu.bondhuta.net

el_koraco
May 4th, 2011, 11:05 PM
You lost me at "Midori sucks".

fremantle
May 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM
for now, but its promising :P

el_koraco
May 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
For real, the original elementary is running better than anything I've ever had on my system, I don't even wanna start messing with anything else.

fremantle
May 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I couldnt even open OmgUBUNTU with midori, every single time it froze and crashed.

yeah but its good to have som extra apps and codecs so it works out of the box. also the system is updated, after the default installation original eOS downloads like 200mb updates..

el_koraco
May 4th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Both Omgubuntu, the Ubuntu homepage, and some other ones, work neither with Midori, nor with Epiphany. I have no idea what's going on there.

fremantle
May 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM
yup.

and facebook, always the mobile version. but eOS with chrome works like a charm.

Thimoteus
May 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I couldnt even open OmgUBUNTU with midori, every single time it froze and crashed.

yeah but its good to have som extra apps and codecs so it works out of the box. also the system is updated, after the default installation original eOS downloads like 200mb updates..
This. Midori would always gray out for minutes at a time. Also on Google reader, it seems slow. But that's not to downplay the potential it has, or all the hard work the midori devs have put into it.

fremantle
May 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thats is true. But most users simply wont care.

Bart_D
May 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Installed it. Definitely is faster.

DISLIKES:
1. Docky:
I've never been a fan of it. I've found that it hogs too much memory. Apparently it is no longer being developed. Having said that, the dock itself appears very smooth here on Elementary and does not seem to be slowing things down greatly...presumably its been tweaked.

I just wonder if a bottom panel would actually be just as good?

2. BROWSER:
Got the same problem with OMGUbuntu(although, if you're using Elementary OS you won't be concerned). Also could not full-screen videos....either Youtube or Embedded.

If Docky can be tweaked for performance, couldn't the same be done with Firefox?

I like the fact that it comes with very few applications pre-installed. Like I said before, it does feel quite light and fast.....that's actually the reason why I installed it.

el_koraco
May 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Installed it. Definitely is faster.

DISLIKES:
1. Docky:
I've never been a fan of it. I've found that it hogs too much memory. Apparently it is no longer being developed. Having said that, the dock itself appears very smooth here on Elementary and does not seem to be slowing things down greatly...presumably its been tweaked.

Docky is being replaced by Plank, a rewrite of Docky in Vala. There's a PPA, you can add it. it looks better, runs faster, and uses 2 MB of RAM. The downside is that you need to edit it via text files, which is kinda fun, but you might not be into it. Also, it doesn't have some of the Docky nuances, like controlling media players, but i guess that will be coming along.

Midori is being tweaked constantly, and the last version I've tried has fixed a lot of the inconsistencies (there's a link to the build a page or to down). It's also the fastest browser out there. Me thinks it will rock by the time the next eOS version comes out.

Bart_D
May 15th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I just removed Docky. It was causing a glitch when I logged out or switched users. The screen would have a black bar at the bottom...removing Docky fixed it.

What I also noticed is that I have to open the Home Folder before trying to open Documents, Pictures etc.i.e. Places>Documents will not open Dpcuments unless Places>Home Folder was opened first. Is there a workaround for this bug?

el_koraco
May 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hm, when I was using elementary, the bug was handled in a dist-upgrade. I think it was like two weeks ago. if you just upgrade, it should work.

Bart_D
May 16th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Do you mean this:

[/code]sudo-apt-get install upgrade[code]

???

Bart_D
May 16th, 2011, 01:57 AM
^^^^^^Wouldn't that upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04, which would break Elementary(As per their website)?

NormanFLinux
May 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM
To avoid that, set the upgrade releases to never in Software Sources. You can still get updates but you avoid breaking your system with a release upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu.

Perfect Storm
May 16th, 2011, 05:09 AM
What I also noticed is that I have to open the Home Folder before trying to open Documents, Pictures etc.i.e. Places>Documents will not open Dpcuments unless Places>Home Folder was opened first. Is there a workaround for this bug?

I solved it by unlocking the Desktop and Panels with gconf-editor.

Dobbie03
May 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know what is planned for the next release? Will it be based on Gnome 3 like I have heard it is?

el_koraco
May 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know what is planned for the next release? Will it be based on Gnome 3 like I have heard it is?

The next oe should be based on Ubuntu 11.04, which runs on Gnome 2. So i dunno, maybe natty with the Gnome 3 ppa, plus the elemetary ppa? Whichever the case might be, I'm hoping to see Wingpanel gets into mainstream soon.

fremantle
June 6th, 2011, 10:59 PM
elementaryos daily builds (launchpad.net/eosbuilds) available

fremantle
June 6th, 2011, 11:02 PM
The next oe should be based on Ubuntu 11.04, which runs on Gnome 2. So i dunno, maybe natty with the Gnome 3 ppa, plus the elemetary ppa? Whichever the case might be, I'm hoping to see Wingpanel gets into mainstream soon.

the next major release, elementary os 02 "Luna" will be based on oneiric, and it will have all the elementary apps including the pantheon shell (plank+wingpanel+slingshot)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FFLIwPa2WtQ/TeudrlRUw1I/AAAAAAAAExo/cpb8hZjcRJo/s400/elementary-os.png
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-otiBu-rxcOo/TeudrnLClwI/AAAAAAAAExs/hY-z7Nlllz0/s400/elementary_2.png

Dlambert
June 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I love it, except the midori browser as default.

ojdon
June 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Looks fantastic! Not too sure if I'm going to make the change from my custom Natty + Gnome-Shell installation but I'm definitely going to give it a good test run!

screaminj3sus
June 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The current elementary release is decent, but very unimpressive. This release however looks like it will be awesome, can't wait to try it.

It'll have to be really awesome to steer me away from my current arch/gnome 3 setup though.

fremantle
June 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
its pretty buggy right now. i cant make it my default installation becoz of a grub related bug.

el_koraco
June 9th, 2011, 09:59 PM
The current elementary release is decent, but very unimpressive. This release however looks like it will be awesome, can't wait to try it.

It'll have to be really awesome to steer me away from my current arch/gnome 3 setup though.

When everything gets ported to GTK 3, and all the adjustments are made, it should be super fast. The daily builds are buggier than Ubuntu alphas, but seems like a lot is being done on speed.

I have the current release, with a compiled version of Midori, Slingshot, Plank and Wingpanel from bzr, and am fully satisfied with it. Although, it's really just a placeholder, they probably just wanted to get things up and running.

launchy
June 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM
here's the latest video of Elementary OS "Luna"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3kvmyDR7FCo

Perfect Storm
June 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM
here's the latest video of Elementary OS "Luna"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3kvmyDR7FCo

Really Nice!

fremantle
June 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
the main reason why elementary will be faster than ubuntu is because it got rid of A LOT of default ubuntu libraries and unnecessary stuffs. also there is not unity or gnome-panels to load, less startup daemons, and all of the elementary apps are extremely lightweight.

slooksterpsv
June 11th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I decided to torrent elementaryOS (Jupiter) today and I'm running it in a VM, it's really nice, like really really really nice. I'm making an image of it in case I want to switch from natty to elementaryOS. Either that or wait until Luna comes out.

I love the elementary theme, I love the elementary apps like postler, dexter, etc., but I just got Unity the way I like. Hehe I'm so conflicted =P

FormatSeize
June 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I have created a customized version of eOS, would be glad if someone tried it out : eu.bondhuta.net (http://eu.bondhuta.net)
I'm downloading this now and I will try it out in a few hours. Judging from the page and my installation of eOS, I think I'll like it.

But why was gedit removed? It's not a huge deal, being that I can just install, I'm just curious.

launchy
June 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I decided to torrent elementaryOS (Jupiter) today and I'm running it in a VM, it's really nice, like really really really nice. I'm making an image of it in case I want to switch from natty to elementaryOS. Either that or wait until Luna comes out.

I love the elementary theme, I love the elementary apps like postler, dexter, etc., but I just got Unity the way I like. Hehe I'm so conflicted =P

Luna will be released on November 2011 according to this site: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?p=16248

ojdon
June 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Is there anyway to install the Luna daily builds yet? Last time I tried I just get a console screen saying "grub >".

fremantle
June 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Is there anyway to install the Luna daily builds yet? Last time I tried I just get a console screen saying "grub >".

that bug is still here. they are gonna send it upsteam.