PDA

View Full Version : Audio Dropout during Quiet scenes over HDMI/TOSLINK

operatorace
April 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hey gents, trying to find an answer to my issue.

I have a TV that has only a 3.5mm out. It's a 42" HDTV, 1080p, looks great, but sucks when it comes to audio.

I also have a PS3 and an Apple TV. Previously I had both hooked up through HDMI into my receiver which then sent video signal to my TV, keeping the sound from going through to the TV and played out its 5.1 speaker set. The system sounds great, however, through HDMI or TOSLINK menu sounds will not play, and any quiet/short sounds don't play. It's like they don't get processed. To test this I plugged the PS3 into the receiver via Component audio, and all of those issues went away.

Is this common? Should I try and return the receiver? Any ideas? Any fixes? I'm fine with how the PS3 works now, but the ATV only has an optical audio out/HDMI audio out.

operatorace
April 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Any ideas? I'm hoping to not have to replace this surround sound.

ErikNJ
April 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
I would rule out any issues with your cable first. Do you have a shorter cable you can use?

operatorace
April 1st, 2011, 07:03 PM
I would rule out any issues with your cable first. Do you have a shorter cable you can use?

It does the same thing through all 3 HDMI cables I have and the TOSLINK cable. Doesn't do it when plugged straight into the TV.

ErikNJ
April 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hmm... not sure. Does your receiver have any type of processing that may reduce lower-level signals? Things like "noise reduction" or "spatial processing" or some other processing with a vague name may be reducing low-level signals to zero or moving them to a non-existent channel.

operatorace
April 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hmm... not sure. Does your receiver have any type of processing that may reduce lower-level signals? Things like "noise reduction" or "spatial processing" or some other processing with a vague name may be reducing low-level signals to zero or moving them to a non-existent channel.

Not sure, I should check that out. I don't think it does. It was pretty cheap, but sounds fantastic.

Just wish my AppleTV could output via component.

operatorace
April 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know of a toslink to component adapter?