PDA

View Full Version : GNOME 3.0 Rescheduled for September 2011 Release

Dragonbite
April 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
So, is this real, or is this an April Fool's joke?

GNOME 3.0 Rescheduled for September 2011 Release (http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/2011-04-gnome-3.0-rescheduled.html)
April 1, 2011 — BANGALORE, India — The GNOME Release Team met in India this week to discuss the state of GNOME 3. The Release Team came to a consensus opinion that one more cycle will be required before GNOME 3.0 is ready to be released. The decision was communicated to and approved by the GNOME Foundation Board on a conference call.

The delay of the release comes for a number of reasons. The primary indicator of the unreadiness of the release is the massive number of exceptions that have been requested and granted during the hard code freeze period. There have been several last-minute API changes that have the potential to harm the stability of the release.

slackthumbz
April 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
It's an April Fools joke.

/thread.

Dragonbite
April 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
It's an April Fools joke.

/thread.

Why do you say that?

slackthumbz
April 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Why do you say that?

1) Why would the GNOME dev team be meeting in India?
2) Current gnome-shell code went freeze a couple of weeks ago and is stable.
3) No mention of this on the gnome-shell irc channel.

3Miro
April 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM
The Gnome-shell team just can't work like this anymore. They need to get the new improved Unity interface first so they can use all of its functionality, become more productive and finish Gnome 3.

OK, lets merge this thread with the rest of the April 1 stuff

StephanG
April 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
It's definitely an April Fools joke.

1) Why would the GNOME dev team be meeting in India?

The meeting in India however, is real. Its called the GNOME.Asia 2011 Hackfest.

I just thought you should know. Indians might not like it if you label the idea of people choosing to come to their country as "part of an April Fools Joke".

ErikNJ
April 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
While I am very much looking forward to Gnome 3, for many people the joke is that it will be released on schedule.

nrundy
April 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
I was going to post asking someone to explain this to me, here's a link that says Gnome 3.0 final release is next week and below it a post that says Gnome 3.0 is delayed until Sep.

http://news.gnome.org/