PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using bluefrog ???

towner
May 7th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Hi all

Just been browsing digg and came across bluefrog by bluesecurity.com
I've been clocking up bucket full of spam in my gmail account recently and wanted to start giving the spammers a bit of their own medicine.

Does anyone out there use bluefrog ? I'm having trouble compiling the source.
Does it work ?

Cheers

DigitalDuality
May 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have been keeping up with the digg thread. QUite interesting. I did a summary of it all in my blog (see link).

I'm on fedora and i can't get bluefrog installed. Couldn't get VLC 0.8.5 installed earlier today either. Don't know what i'm doing wrong in either case.

towner
May 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the link to your blog. I'll check it out soon.
I've sent the bluefrog developers a mail, and hopefully they'll give me a solution.
When it comes !! I'll post on this thread
Cheers

DigitalDuality
May 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Got the software installed on ubuntu dapper but i can only access it through the command line and i can't get my account to sign in. The plugins for both Firefox and Flock seems to be doing ok.

This is how you get it installed though

sudo apt-get install alien

then download the bluefrog rpm (just released last night)

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bluefrog/bluefrog-1.9.1.1151-0.fc3.i386.rpm?download

place the file in your home folder. Then type this:

sudo alien bluefrog-1.9.1.1151-0.fc3.i386.rpm

This will create a bluefrog deb file.

Then sudo dpkg -i bluefrog-1.9.1.1151-0.fc3.i386.deb

towner
May 11th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Hi all

Just got a mail back from bluesecurity (makers of bluefrog) with a link to the latest release here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153754), which I've been told contains fixes to the problems encountered.

I'm going to try again now

bionnaki
May 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
whats bluefrog?

DigitalDuality
May 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
www.bluesecurity.com explains it.

Basically you submit your spam to it and they send opt-out requests to the address that spammed you.

So lets say, ... 100,000 bluefrog members got spam for the same source, well that source gets 100,000 opt-out messages requestion they clear their spam lists.

It's basically "fighting back" rather than filtering it out.