PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ethernet Cabling

linuxyogi
April 1st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Hi,

I have 2 pcs at home. I donít have a switch so I can connect only one PC at a time to my adsl router/modem for internet access.

In the past I had successfully connected the two PCs (NIC to NIC) to each other using the same ethernet cable which was supplied with my dlink adsl modem.

Recently the motherboard of on of my PC went bad so I replaced it with a new one.

The problem is when I connect the two using the same Ethernet cable they won't connect. The lights on the Ethernet port won't light up.

I can still connect both of them to the adsl router (NIC to Router) (one at a time).

I am really confused.

Please reply.

GregBrannon
April 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Connecting two computers directly via their NICs is typically accomplished using a crossover cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable). Similarly, there is sometimes a connection (or socket) on modems and switches for cascading similar appliances that is wired so that one can use a standard cable and obtain the same "crossover" connectivity.

To restore your computer-to-computer connectivity through their NICs, you could try using a crossover cable. Why it worked with the NIC on the old motherboard is a mystery, and there are too many unknowns to make a good guess that would be useful to you.

linuxyogi
April 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Connecting two computers directly via their NICs is typically accomplished using a crossover cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable). Similarly, there is sometimes a connection (or socket) on modems and switches for cascading similar appliances that is wired so that one can use a standard cable and obtain the same "crossover" connectivity.

To restore your computer-to-computer connectivity through their NICs, you could try using a crossover cable. Why it worked with the NIC on the old motherboard is a mystery, and there are too many unknowns to make a good guess that would be useful to you.

I have lots of wire at home.

All I need to buy are RJ45s.

I guess I will have to make a crossover cable.

Thanks for your reply.

patryk77
April 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I simply cut an Ethernet cable and rewired it down the middle to hook up my xbox...

It's not very pretty but it's a real quick hack.

linuxyogi
April 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
I simply cut an Ethernet cable and rewired it down the middle to hook up my xbox...

It's not very pretty but it's a real quick hack.

I don't think that's safe thing to do. If ready made crossover cables are available locally where you live, I recommend you buy one.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

dineshs
April 2nd, 2011, 06:38 AM
+1 to GregBrannon
Another option is to use a 4 port modem (Contact your service provider) and configure it in PPPoE mode.