PDA

View Full Version : The Canterbury Distribution

inobe
April 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
http://www.opensuse.org/

The Canterbury Distribution

We are pleased to announce the birth of the Canterbury distribution. Canterbury is a merge of the efforts of the community distributions formerly known as Debian, Gentoo, Grml, openSUSE and Arch Linux.

The target is to produce a really unified effort and be able to stand up in a combined effort against proprietary operating systems, to show off that the Free Software community is actually able to work together for a common goal instead of creating more diversity.

what do you think?

at first i thought, april 1st, actually i had to read it several times just to grasp what it is i see.

earthpigg
April 1st, 2011, 06:58 AM
You are correct, it is April 1 in some parts of the world.

inobe
April 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
looks awesome, the typos stood way out though.

Version Dependency
April 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
It's funny looking at the forums of those distros and some of the confused people...ranging from those really ticked off that their fave distro is about to drastically change to those that are happy about some epic merger (without having any details about it whatsoever).
:lolflag:

I admit, I've fallen for many of these April Fool's gags. But the users of those distros should have spotted the gag right away. Those five distros are about as different as you can get.

wandalalakers
April 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM
Yea, how can you combine efforts of a .deb and .rpm distribution?
Even opensuse.org says the same and debian.org.

FlameReaper
April 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Well played... Now if only they can step out from April Fool! :lolflag:

Copper Bezel
April 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Almost too bad. I would use any operating system named for Canterbury. = )

Spice Weasel
April 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
This proves we can actually organise and agree on something. :lolflag:

Vim and Emacs merge next!

LowSky
April 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm saddened to see Canonical wasn't involved in the joke.

sudo apt-get moo

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
Apple are merging with Microsoft; honest. This is a plainly transparent joke - who gets "fooled"?

Helkaluin
April 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
*sigh*

Is this what the Anglican Communion has grown into? A public joke? Why can't the wonderful philosophy of via media be spared by humanity? Good god...

Simian Man
April 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm saddened to see Canonical wasn't involved in the joke.

I guess they wouldn't even work with the rest of the Linux community for a joke.

mpnordland
April 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
Now, without having seen it in action, I will say that I will at least try it, Because, I have used both Ubuntu(debian base) and Opensuse and found them to be good. I think this is good for Free Software. I can't wait to see more.

Spice Weasel
April 1st, 2011, 06:29 PM
Now, without having seen it in action, I will say that I will at least try it, Because, I have used both Ubuntu(debian base) and Opensuse and found them to be good. I think this is good for Free Software. I can't wait to see more.

I hope you are aware that this is a joke. (thank Anoia)

werty2010
April 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Apple are merging with Microsoft; honest. This is a plainly transparent joke - who gets "fooled"?

...wandering helpless in the middle of the night what has he done he started shouting...: "It's alive!!!"
:lolflag:

inobe
April 1st, 2011, 07:12 PM
This proves we can actually organise and agree on something. :lolflag:

Vim and Emacs merge next!

an elaborate hoax on a massive scale, just beautiful work.

like i stated, it almost tricked me into believing until i noticed the typos, what made it more convincing, is it's an opensuse default home page :lol:

kio_http
April 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM

As much as the two might seem against each other in statements, behind the scenes they are actually very close.

koenn
April 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
I guess they wouldn't even work with the rest of the Linux community for a joke.
I guess they will.
Ubuntu's part in it is that exactly 1 year from now, they'd announce that ubuntu will do 6-monthly forks of Canterbury, add integration and polish, and take it to the masses.

Starlight
April 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
If it wasn't just a joke, it would be extremely awesome. I think they really should try to do it for real.

shashi859
April 7th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Here is a nice website designed for it.....

https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/canterbury/ (https://users.archlinux.de/%7Epierre/canterbury/)

From this website & its announcement, it appears that, some of them are working towards its success