PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No back-lighting in ubuntu 11.04

poodoopealeoaph
April 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
So... I've upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and now the backlighting is completely gone. I actually am forced to shine a very bright flashlight on the screen just to write this. I've gotten xubuntu to install with 11.04 fine but I don't really like it and I've noticed that weather I use a USB, DVD, or upgrade I have no backlighting with regular ubuntu. Oh and it also puzzles me because I upgraded to the alpha 2 a few weeks ago and everything was fine but now the beta 1 is giving me problems.... please help! I really don't want to reinstall and lose all of my stuff!

travissparks1307
April 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
This affects me too. I downloaded the Natty Beta and at first I thought I had no screen. Then I looked carefully and could barely make it out. So, like you, I got a flashlight and noticed that there was no back lighting. Could this be a bug?

poodoopealeoaph
April 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM
I would also like to add that I saw that someone said that it is a compiz issue and that as long as you run "alt+f2 and type 'compiz --replace'" everything would work but it didn't help at all... Hopefully someone can figure this whole thing out pretty quick because i was raring to try out unity but I'm already a little turned off... Maybe Kubuntu may be the ticket... just as long as they have found a way to fix the weird browser glitch.

poodoopealeoaph
April 1st, 2011, 06:56 AM
For real? no one has any sort of a fix for this? well I'm going to simply sign out and sign back in to see if it will make any changes and if not then I'll be venturing back to KDE either with Kubuntu or linux-mint since I've heard that Gnome 4 can set your laptop on fire.... literally.

poodoopealeoaph
April 2nd, 2011, 04:36 AM
Okay, so I logged out and logged back in to no avail. I also tried to switch to the gnome desktop and that didn't work either. So, I switched to Kubuntu 10.10 and found that KDE still hasn't improved... So, here's hoping someone in development gets ahold of this post and figures this out by the time of release because I want unity and natty sooooo bad!