PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu from USB

OSLinuxFreak
April 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
I know Ubuntu can be installed from a USB thumb drive but I have a unique problem. My CD drive in my laptop doesn't work any longer and I have no way to replace it. I know I can place Ubuntu on the flash drive but the bios in my laptop does not allow booting from usb and not rom update for the laptop.

So my question is, since this laptop does have Win7 on it, I can partition the drive to make room for a dual boot, but how do I get Linux on the new partition with out a CD Drive or bootable usb?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hedgehog1
April 1st, 2011, 04:08 AM
I know Ubuntu can be installed from a USB thumb drive but I have a unique problem. My CD drive in my laptop doesn't work any longer and I have no way to replace it. I know I can place Ubuntu on the flash drive but the bios in my laptop does not allow booting from usb and not rom update for the laptop.

So my question is, since this laptop does have Win7 on it, I can partition the drive to make room for a dual boot, but how do I get Linux on the new partition with out a CD Drive or bootable usb?

Any help would be appreciated :)

If you cannot boot from the CD and cannot boot from USB, your laptop OSs cannot be maintained for either Windows or Ubuntu. Ideally a repair of the CD is preferred.

The only option other than replacing the CD is to remove the Hard Drive, install Ubuntu onto it from a separate PC, and returning the hard drive to the laptop. This option carries some risks...

The Hedge

:KS

sam-bo
April 1st, 2011, 04:15 AM
I would say that you could download and install Ubuntu on to your C: drive. Choose Ubuntu from the dual boot menu on restart. Once you in you can remove the windows patition. I do imagine.

Dutch70
April 1st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Actually I believe you can install Ubuntu into windows using Wubi. Once it's installed, you can migrate the wubi installation to it's own partition. It is definitely the long way around.

If you have another machine to put your hdd into, Hedgehogs idea may be preferred.

mörgæs
April 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Here are some ideas for installing:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

You could also give Plop Boot Manager a try. I have not used it myself, so I can not give a real recommendation, though.

OSLinuxFreak
April 2nd, 2011, 01:01 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I actually did find that there was a rom update for my laptop so after doing that it will allow me to boot from a usb now. I use to have a dual boot until I installed Windows 7, due to my job, and now I have to repartition and reinstall Ubuntu.

I will also check the links you provided because it looks like there is a lot there that will be of a great help.

Thank you all so much, will let you know how it goes :D