PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I messed up transparency, need to revert

teejay17
April 1st, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hi all,
I messed up when playing with transparency in Opacity settings in Compiz, and made everything too transparent, to the point that I can't do anything on my desktop. All I see is my wallpaper.
How can I kill this to revert back to the old setting, or at least enter into a safe graphics mode to reset?
Thanks in advance.

teejay17
April 1st, 2011, 01:05 AM
Or would killing Metacity do the trick? Problem is, I can't even see the terminal, as it is 100% transparent!
Would fixing it via live CD be an option?

Krytarik
April 1st, 2011, 01:38 AM
a) while you are over a window you would like to see, press Alt and use the mousewheel to increase the opacity of that window

b) press Alt+F2 and enter "metacity --replace" blindly, to run Metacity to be able to revert Compiz' settings

c) press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to quit your running xsession and login to "Failsafe GNOME"

b) if nothing else helps, boot into "recovery mode"

teejay17
April 1st, 2011, 01:57 AM
a) while you are over a window you would like to see, press Alt and use the mousewheel to increase the opacity of that window

b) press Alt+F2 and enter "metacity --replace" blindly, to run Metacity to be able to revert Compiz' settings

c) press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to quit your running xsession and login to "Failsafe GNOME"

b) if nothing else helps, boot into "recovery mode"
Thanks, you are a life saver! "A" worked long enough to enable me to see enough to implement "B".

Krytarik
April 1st, 2011, 02:22 AM
Thanks, you are a life saver! "A" worked long enough to enable me to see enough to implement "B".
LOL:P

See my earlier post about how to avoid this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10488654#post10488654

teejay17
April 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM
LOL:P

See my earlier post about how to avoid this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10488654#post10488654
That is definitely good to know for future reference.