PDA

View Full Version : The complete useless damn boring geeky brown crawling letters of my boot screen...

ThirdWorld
May 7th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Oh Goddess how i hate them... seriously folks... on top of that the awful 1980's Atari 2000 resolution... 40 seconds of that crap 4 times per day is unbearable....

Why our ubuntu boot screen cant look like this?

http://www.howtoforge.com/images/screenshots/d23cbe73361160cc6807a0576c73ae27-762_640x480.png?382622145

I mean... its not like imposible... :confused:

helpme
May 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
1. Who cares?
2. For a higher resolution, framebuffer would be needed, however framebuffer can cause problems, for example with acpi.

louis_nichols
May 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Oh Goddess how i hate them... seriously folks... on top of that the awful 1980's Atari 2000 resolution... 40 seconds of that crap 4 times per day is unbearable....

http://www.howtoforge.com/images/screenshots/d23cbe73361160cc6807a0576c73ae27-762_640x480.png?382622145

I mean... its not like imposible... :confused:

You could always contribute by making a usplash theme yourself...

this link (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=usplash&titlesearch=Titles)should be a starting point. ;)

EDIT: of course, sharing it afterwards. :D

Super King
May 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, the awful resolution is the worst part.

ThirdWorld
May 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
1. Who cares?
2. For a higher resolution, framebuffer would be needed, however framebuffer can cause problems, for example with acpi.

1. I bet you that at least few hundred thousands of the 1.5 million Ubuntu users care about that damn boot screen and that awful resolution. Few hundred thousand is a LOT of people dude...

2. If other distros are doing it why Ubuntu cant??

helpme
May 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
1. I bet you that at least few hundred thousands of the 1.5 million Ubuntu users care about that damn boot screen and that awful resolution. Few hundred thousand is a LOT of people dude...

Did you know that 90% of the statistics you read on the web are made up on the spot? ;)

2. If other distros are doing it why Ubuntu cant??
To avoid the problems it can cause and causes in other distros. Seriously, if you want a framebuffer on boot, do a search on the forum. I'm pretty sure you'll find information on how to enable it.

Virogenesis
May 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
1. Who cares?
1. I care and so do others clearly as the thread wouldn't of been created
2. I don't know much about so I can't comment

helpme
May 7th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Just rembered I recently saw a discussion about this on the ubuntu-devel mailing list:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-May/017668.html

Iandefor
May 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it annoys me, too. I think, while there's been a lot of progress made in Dapper, there is still a lot of room for improvement in the area of the bootsplash. Well, here's hoping Edgy improves on Dapper's bootsplash, and that Edgy+1 improves on Edgy's bootsplash, and so on and so forth...

louis_nichols
May 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Oh, and the resolution is configurable via the vga=xxx option appended to the kernel line in menu.lst

I use vga=792 and looks very good.

EDIT: Forgot to say: I like the minimalist flavour of it.

Vlammetje
May 7th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I rarely sit glued to my seat to watch the bootsplash.,... and to be honest there are other things that in my views should have priority. Want a different bootsplash? Simply get one. That too can be done (I used to have a badger bootsplash before actually)

ubuntu_demon
May 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Let the user select whether he wants suspend/resume and if he doesn't want it and his videocard does support it then a more beautiful splash should be the default.

IMHO functionality is more important than eyecandy but if it's easy to do go for the eyecandy as well. Since edgy is about trying new stuff I hope they try something to solve this.

Hygelac
May 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM
You could also disable the splash screen if you do not like it. I prefer it that way for some reason; and on this particular computer I have to tell GRUB "vga=771," which results in an ugly kind of psychedelic splash screen that I would not want to look at anyways.

ThirdWorld
May 7th, 2006, 09:43 PM

Biltong (Dee)
May 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Ah, don't be cruel. I remember the days when we used to lie in wait for the latest Atari game, and all our friends used to be so jealous.... :-)

louis_nichols
May 7th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Dude, I'm normally not radical, but I think this is pretty lame. Considering that Ubuntu is the second easiest OS to be able to run Compiz, which at this point offers the world's undisputable most advanced desktop experience. The windows splash screen is by no means any better, and the demo you've shown us is just a theme, and usplash has all the capabilities to do the same. If you're going to make "artwork", as above, try contributing by making a splash screen yourself, instead.

ubuntu_demon
May 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Dude, I'm normally not radical, but I think this is pretty lame. Considering that Ubuntu is the second easiest OS to be able to run Compiz, which at this point offers the world's undisputable most advanced desktop experience. The windows splash screen is by no means any better, and the demo you've shown us is just a theme, and usplash has all the capabilities to do the same. If you're going to make "artwork", as above, try contributing by making a splash screen yourself, instead.
I'm sure he just meant it funny. The picture is quite funny actually IMHO :)

halfvolle melk
May 7th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Why boot into your systm 4 times a day? Once will do just fine.

nickle
May 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Nice... I like the irreverance.... Ubuntu ain't sacred... just bits of code thats fun to use...:p

ubuntu_demon
May 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM
If I leave my computer longer than 2 hours most of the time I shut it down. If I happen to leave my house 2 times for more than 2 hours then I'll probably boot my pc 3 times.

My gateway/fileserver is always on though.

Stormy Eyes
May 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM

I'd say there are more important matters to attend to than the demon-ridden usplash theme. :-({|=

ThirdWorld
May 8th, 2006, 12:40 AM

Oh come on dude... Its just a joke...

Geoneil
May 8th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I'd sooner have a graphical boot menu on GRUB, I think Ubuntu's startup screen (I use Kubuntu to I get minty fresh greeny-blue which is slightly more attractive) is at the same resolution as the Windows XP startup screen (which also looks ugly)

ThirdWorld
May 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Ok do you like this better?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9196&d=1147046679

louis_nichols
May 8th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Oh come on dude... Its just a joke...

Yeah, I get it now. Sorry! I over-reacted.

But why won't you make a splash screen? I mean, the steps are right there... (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USplashCustomizationHowto) You can actually use any image you like. There's even a discussion wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USplashCustomizationHowtoDiscussion). Then you and all of us, should choose to share, could benefit from it.

Buffalo Soldier
May 8th, 2006, 01:08 AM
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-May/017673.html

We don't use a higher resolution framebuffer because it would make suspend/resume much harder to support. If that situation changes in the future, we'll reconsider it.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-May/017679.html

Right, this isn't an inherent limitation of usplash, but a tradeoff that we've accepted in favour of better hardware support.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-May/017720.html

> And if the other distro's do use the high-res framebuffer for the boot
> splash, how do they handle hardware support and suspend/resume? I find
> it hard to believe that they don't care about good hardware support.

It isn't fair to assume that they don't care, but they may have different priorities and be willing to accept different tradeoffs. That's why diversity is healthy.

louis_nichols
May 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM
So... just a thought, should someone sumble upon this discussion and have enough knowledge to answer:

What would it take to transfer rhgb (http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/additional-projects/rhgb/) to ubuntu? I mean, just to offer an alternative to the willing.

EDIT: Although it isn't much nicer either. Nor very customizable, to my knowledge.

ThirdWorld
May 8th, 2006, 02:57 AM
So... just a thought, should someone sumble upon this discussion and have enough knowledge to answer:

What would it take to transfer rhgb (http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/additional-projects/rhgb/) to ubuntu? I mean, just to offer an alternative to the willing.

EDIT: Although it isn't much nicer either. Nor very customizable, to my knowledge.

AWESOME!! a professional looking boot screen

http://www.flexbeta.net/images/linux_comparison/fedora_bootsplash.jpeg

louis_nichols
May 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM
just remembered: try splashy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41709) then!

benplaut
May 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Ok do you like this better?
<snip>

ahahahahahah!! :-D

i'm actually using it :mrgreen:

NeoChaosX
May 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I don't mind the technical limitations of the bootsplash, honestly. I mean, the bootsplash for Windows XP runs at that same 640x480 resolution, and IMHO it's pretty nice for a bootsplash. It's possible to get a pretty splash with that low a resolution; you just need some better art for it. ;)

B0rsuk
May 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
The worst part is it makes it look too much like windows. How do I set verbose/text mode as default ?

ubuntu_demon
May 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The worst part is it makes it look too much like windows. How do I set verbose/text mode as default ?
make sure usplash doesn't start suffices AFAIK. But it will be just dull text on a low resolution (try ctrl-alt-f1 now and see whether like it). This will prevent usplash from starting :

$ sudo update-rc.d usplash remove

jimcooncat
May 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I'd be happy to lose the graphics, replace it with some ASCII art scrolling by.

db db
MM MM
db db MM.oOMOo. db db .oOMOo. oMMMMOo. db db
MM MM MMMP'^`TMO. MM MM .OMP'^`TMO. MM MM MM
MM MM MM' `MM MM MM MM' `MM MM MM MM
MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM
VM. .MV MM. .MM VM. .MV MM MM VM VM. .MV
`VDL...JCV' `VDL...JCV' `VDL...JCV' MM MM `VL. `VDL...JCV'
`*OMO*' `*OMO*' `*OMO*' qp qp `*OOO* `*OMO*'

(blatantly ripped off from http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~ss28/humor/ascii.html)

Mathias-K
May 10th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I understand the developers' wishes to put support over bling, and thus accepting unacceptably ugly graphics, but why is the text not removed?

Does anyone need it? I think it should be shown only in case that some problem occurs or the user presses a certain key.

ThirdWorld
May 10th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I'd be happy to lose the graphics, replace it with some ASCII art scrolling by.

db db
MM MM
db db MM.oOMOo. db db .oOMOo. oMMMMOo. db db
MM MM MMMP'^`TMO. MM MM .OMP'^`TMO. MM MM MM
MM MM MM' `MM MM MM MM' `MM MM MM MM
MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM
VM. .MV MM. .MM VM. .MV MM MM VM VM. .MV
`VDL...JCV' `VDL...JCV' `VDL...JCV' MM MM `VL. `VDL...JCV'
`*OMO*' `*OMO*' `*OMO*' qp qp `*OOO* `*OMO*'

(blatantly ripped off from http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~ss28/humor/ascii.html)

ha ha ha Dude... are you triying to take Ubuntu back to the pre-internet era? :mrgreen:

Omnios
May 11th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I like the ugly scrolling letters it lets me check for failed startups and I can even tell if my isp is down before I finish logging in. I used to like the simple progress bars before but then I discovered Ubuntu

jimcooncat
May 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
ha ha ha Dude... are you triying to take Ubuntu back to the pre-internet era? :mrgreen:

I remember how excited I was to get the Unisys 286 hooked up to Compuserve. Only took me a day to figure out the modem and protocol settings. The bulletin boards there were fantastic. No jumping smilies and flash on my green screen monitor. You young whippersnappers take so much for granted. :rolleyes:

nocturn
May 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I understand the developers' wishes to put support over bling, and thus accepting unacceptably ugly graphics, but why is the text not removed?

Does anyone need it? I think it should be shown only in case that some problem occurs or the user presses a certain key.

I understand that you would prefer not to see the text. But that is not the case for everyone (I prefer it this way, to have some nice spalsh without loosing the information about what is going on).

The problem for the dev team is that wichever choice they make, there will be people asking the opposite.

n3tfury
May 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM

agreed. unless you're on a laptop, there's no need for that.

Mathias-K
May 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I understand that you would prefer not to see the text. But that is not the case for everyone (I prefer it this way, to have some nice spalsh without loosing the information about what is going on).

The problem for the dev team is that wichever choice they make, there will be people asking the opposite.

I have no real knowledge on the matter, but i would think that most people would prefer to have the text hidden. All the UNIX speak seems to scare people :)

briancurtin
May 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I like the ugly scrolling letters it lets me check for failed startups and I can even tell if my isp is down before I finish logging in. I used to like the simple progress bars before but then I discovered Ubuntu
same here. well i use arch, but it starts up with the text and i like to check that things started up and what problems i might be facing once everything is booted up

wthanna
May 11th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Many.. and I might dare say "most" system admins would prefer to see the text.. what is starting.. failing to start.. etc., when there computer is booting. A "scrolling progress bar" in my opinion is a pretty useless thing to stare at while your computer is booting! ....but easy engough to change with a simple search of these forums. I prefer the most detailed information I can get about what is going on in my system at all times... hardly "useless" "boring" information.. VERY useful actually...

Kindred
May 11th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I like to see the text also, so I know what is happening as my computer is booting. I imagine that scary text will be hidden by default in a future release though.

eentonig
May 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Oh, I just loved those M$ progress bars. See them growing to completion and then near the end just freezing and standing there for eternity. Leaving me to wonder. Did it actually stop? Is it going to continue? Do I wait? do I risk to reboot? Why is it stopped? At what point did things mess up? What can I do to remedie this situation?

Hmmm, ok. Maybe it's not the nicest artwork in the world. And I wouldn't mind if some brave soul decided to put a nicer one in a future or current release. Hell, I might just change it myself on my system one day. But don't take away my boot messages! I don't read them, but I'll sure notice it when one of them shows RED

ThirdWorld
May 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Oh, I just loved those M$ progress bars. See them growing to completion and then near the end just freezing and standing there for eternity. Leaving me to wonder. Did it actually stop? Is it going to continue? Do I wait? do I risk to reboot? Why is it stopped? At what point did things mess up? What can I do to remedie this situation?

Hmmm, ok. Maybe it's not the nicest artwork in the world. And I wouldn't mind if some brave soul decided to put a nicer one in a future or current release. Hell, I might just change it myself on my system one day. But don't take away my boot messages! I don't read them, but I'll sure notice it when one of them shows RED

Ok then, why not an option that can show you and others those ugly letters, commands and RED messages? (what about: press F1 to see details?) its not like imposible to do inst it..??? its not like the dev guys have to rewrite the OS to do it... :confused: :confused: :confused:

elamericano
May 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
useless? False.
boring? You have a short attention span.
geeky? Aren't you trying to insult people who prefer this configuration?

Original poster = Clueless!

If you experiment as much as I do with configuration and pre-release software, then these bootup details are essential. I remember I got the "Hit F2 for more details" treatment from Mandrake, so I changed LILO to show me details by default.

This is clearly not a "How can I do X?" thread, but yet another complaining rant by someone who would rather use Windows or another distro. Check his other posts if you don't believe me,

It has been suggested that you try out Splashy :
http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/doku.php
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41709

...but no, you're still here whining.

Nonno Bassotto
June 1st, 2006, 10:32 PM
I happily use ubuntu and probably will change usplash to splashy soon, so I'm not here to whine (I'm not the original poster). But I have to say I don't understand. When you boot the text goes something like

step 1... ok
step 2... ok

step n... ok

and so on. This can't give any information unless something goes wrong and you get

step n+1.... failed

But most (all?) of the graphical bootsplashes show the text when some step fails, so you are able to see what has gone wrong anyway. :confused:

Why don't I just use splashy and stop discussing this? Because I'm a little afraid that something will go wrong, as I saw posts of people who were not able to boot. :-?

I don't think that text vs. graphics is a real problem anyway. I can well imagine a simple boot up configuration tool with only two options: graphics or text default; it's not that difficult. Moreover some bootsplashes show very nice graphics with text on the background (fbsplash, for example). The real problem is the low resolution and low colors.
I hope this will get better in edgy

elamericano
June 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Actually, it's more than "step1". It's more like module x is being loaded. Bringing up network interfaces, etc. When the wrong module is loaded for my wireless card, I expect to see it there. Regardless, the order that these things happen is also important.

Anyway, the OP wanted a progress bar with no text at all. That's OK. It should be an option - maybe even the default for preloaded computers. He should get one and tell other people how to do it too. What isn't OK is the hostility to the current bootloader, because it's "geeky" and "useless".

BTW, I added vga=792 to /boot/grub/menu.lst so I have 1024x768 and 24-bit color at boot time. That is my LCD's max, and the same thing I have on my desktop. Does that solve the "real problem" for you?

Nonno Bassotto
June 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Wow, I didn't know I could simply edit a line in grub to change the resolution. I'll surely try it, thanks. :D

Nonno Bassotto
June 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
I searched for 1024x768 usplashes, but I discovered you can only have 640x400 images, so the resolution trick just makes the image smaller. :( So there IS a resolution problem. With usplash you can't have nice splashes like these
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/shots.php

Mathias-K
June 3rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
I hope this will be mentioned when drawing the map for Edgy. Usplash is the direct opposite of "bling and edgy" :)

elamericano
June 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I searched for 1024x768 usplashes, but I discovered you can only have 640x400 images, so the resolution trick just makes the image smaller. :( So there IS a resolution problem. With usplash you can't have nice splashes like these
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/shots.php
Actually, that's a size problem, not a resolution problem - but I understand what you mean now.

Maybe splashy is what you want:

http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wik...d=installation
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41709

H.E. Pennypacker
July 18th, 2006, 11:34 PM
There is a solution to this for everyon!

With PCLinuxOS, by default, you get an image at boot-up, and if you want text, you simply press escape. This solves the problem for everyone. Those who want an image get it, and those who want text get what they want.

Why argue over this when a solution is clearly available? It simply may not be possible yet with Ubuntu, but this has been solved and conceived of by the PCLinuxOS community (which I left for Ubuntu).

PS: I, like the OP, care about this, because I agree with him.

Derek Djons
July 19th, 2006, 12:03 AM

With PCLinuxOS, by default, you get an image at boot-up, and if you want text, you simply press escape. This solves the problem for everyone. Those who want an image get it, and those who want text get what they want.

Why argue over this when a solution is clearly available? It simply may not be possible yet with Ubuntu, but this has been solved and conceived of by the PCLinuxOS community (which I left for Ubuntu).

As some people replied, also I don't sit down with a cup of coffee to enjoy my bootscreen. But I do admit, for quite some people it would be an extension to there 'modification' adventures. I've changed my login manager, splashscreen, gnome-terminal, theme and what not. So why not the bootlogo.

I do find it worthfull to start talking about it. Maybe a contribution will be made. But a lot depends on starting talking and asking, not being 'dissapointed'.

vayu
July 19th, 2006, 02:38 AM
I like the text. I like the ubuntu logo. I think the artists did a great job on that 14 color low res image. I do agree that the text at that resolution is ugly.

There are many more important features I'd rather see time spent on than the boot screen.

Beside who is going to decide on something that pleases both you and me? That PCLinuxOS screen you showed is not pleasant to me at all.

adam.tropics
July 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I only find it a problem, when trying to convert people to Ubuntu, be it from another distro, or Xp. The solution is to either a) make sure the computer is already booted up when people arrive, or b) have the list to hand of a ll the cool things that are in Ubuntu, to explain why nobody took the time to fix the paint job on the front door!!

egon spengler
July 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM

You say why argue because a solution is apparent yet you don't actually manage to go so far as provide a solution. Just pointing out that pclinuxos has a nicer splash is not a solution. For the record their splash is fairly poor, gensplash/fbsplash is much better. Hey look at that, i just found a solution too. It's easier than I thought to find solutions

deadguy87
July 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I managed to get a higher res with "Start Up Manager" it's not wide screen to match my laptops monitor but it's smoother looking and has not problems, I did also remove my Usplash theme for the time being and have a text only boot, which I prefer, reminds me of the old Apple IIe days