PDA

View Full Version : List of IDEs to what language you want to use.

stchman
March 31st, 2011, 10:32 PM
Ok, here is my take on what IDEs are best for what language on Ubuntu.

I have listed them in order of which one I think is best.

Java - Nebeans, Eclipse, Geany
C/C++ - Netbeans, Eclipse, Code::Blocks, Geany
C# - MonoDevelop
Python - Ninja, IDLE, Geany

I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

Barrucadu
March 31st, 2011, 11:14 PM
I am very much of the opinion that the best thing to do it to just pick one good text editor for programmers (eg: Emacs or Vim), and learn how to use that properly, rather than have a dozen IDEs installed.

stchman
March 31st, 2011, 11:41 PM
I am very much of the opinion that the best thing to do it to just pick one good text editor for programmers (eg: Emacs or Vim), and learn how to use that properly, rather than have a dozen IDEs installed.

If I was going to use just a text editor for programming, it WOULDN'T be emacs or vim.

Geany is probably the best text editor/IDE IMO, it's light weight and works well.

patryk77
April 1st, 2011, 12:53 AM
If I was going to use just a text editor for programming, it WOULDN'T be emacs or vim.

Geany is probably the best text editor/IDE IMO, it's light weight and works well.

Big fan of Code::Blocks here.

I use it under Ubuntu and Windows...

I use Visual Studio for C#, but that's because I have to write some Windows apps.

Now if only I could find something better than nano for perl :P

Some Penguin
April 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM
Doesn't this topic come up every week or so?

SledgeHammer_999
April 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM

I second that. For doing some quick editing or writing a sample code app Geany is absolutely perfect.

alexfish
April 1st, 2011, 01:54 AM
in language terms : not mentioned Pascal

Lazarus (Free Pascal )

I am usually skeptic about some IDE's , but was quite taken with this one ,

think lot of users will may be impressed with this IDE ,

has ability to write once compile anywhere ,

can only suggest trying

WinterMadness
April 1st, 2011, 01:59 AM
im pretty much in love with netbeans. i use it for java c++ and python

terry_a_g
April 1st, 2011, 02:19 AM
Java - IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse
Lisp - Emacs + slime
Everything else - Vim

Simian Man
April 1st, 2011, 02:30 AM
I usually use Eclipse for big projects, where navigating the project is more important than the individual files, and vim for small projects where the files are more important and setting up a project is overkill.

Cool Javelin
December 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I see a lot of great suggestions for IDE's, but I have some specific requirements, can someone help me?

Specifically, I am running an Ubuntu server (10.10) and need an IDE that cam compile Pascal but not use the X environment.

Any Suggestions?

It must be a text editor, must support single stepping and debugging, support Pascal, and it would be nice to have syntax highlighting.

I like the Borland Turbo Pascal environ, but the Free Pascal IDE has some issues.

The one included in the repos (version 2.4.0) isn't compiled to allow single stepping (no debugger) the version at FreePascal (version 2.4.4) has other issues. (missing libraries, and while it has the debugger, the highlighting is flawed.)

Thanks, Mark.

dazman19
December 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Personally i just use netbeans for nearly everything. Because i know it, and its very easy to use. (i think easier than eclipse).

The only downside to netbeans is it does go slow if you have either
1) A massive project (maybe 200MB or more and trying to get it to read Subversion files.
2) Editing mammoth size files (e.g. sql files or something) Generally doesnt like text files bigger than about 5MB.
3) A old/slow computer... Netbeans uses quite a lot of RAM. I dont really care though cuz my work computer is an i7 quad core with 16gb of ram and a SSD. So its not a problem in my case.

I only usually write (PHP/JAVA/JS/C/C++/Bash Scripts) HINT: if you want the IDE to validate the bash scripts set the IDE settings to C/C++.

I have used eclipse before, I like it better for unit testing etc. And I have only tried codeblocks once before when learning to code C++ on windows with wxwidgets. So I don't know enough about that IDE to comment. I heard Geany is quite a good IDE for python too although I have not used it.

haziz
December 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Emacs, of course! Is there any other???

MG&TL
December 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM

why not?

I use vim for pretty much everything, it's very efficient and the syntax highlighting is usually great.

Cool Javelin
December 19th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Hmmm, It looks like NetBeans requires a graphical interface,

Vim doesn't appear to be an IDE

It also looks like emacs is only an editor not an IDE.

Can it be that the only choice available to me is FreePascal IDE?

Sorry, I just realized I may have hijacked this thread, Please forgive me.