PDA

View Full Version : amazon cloud player -- sounds like bad news for Ubuntu one

nerdy_kid
March 31st, 2011, 09:59 PM
Anyone seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2658409011&ref_=pe_142610_19323210
Free 5GB, and an upgrade to 20GBs with a purchase of an amazon MP3 album! Free android app too....

Makes Ubuntu one look expensive lol What will this mean for Ubuntu one?

Legendary_Bibo
March 31st, 2011, 10:08 PM
I like the Ubuntu One Cloud because it's less intrusive, and it's more closely bonded to the desktop. I'll use the Amazon Cloud to store the file that has my Ubuntu One info though.

Also, just this week Playstation launched their cloud for gamesaves. What's with all the clouds? It's going to rain...

nerdy_kid
March 31st, 2011, 10:21 PM
It would be nice for U1 to offer a little more space in the free package though. 2GB is a little lean, 4 would be better.

gnomeuser
March 31st, 2011, 11:11 PM
For a digital ratpack like myself who enjoys lossless backups of my DVDs and my music, any kind of cloud service right now would slay my wallet. Amazon wants 1000$ a year per 1TB.. I don't even like to consider the time it would take to upload all my stuff.

Regardless it looks like a cool service, I would love to play around with it, sadly it is US only.

oldos2er
March 31st, 2011, 11:52 PM
I like the Ubuntu One Cloud because it's less intrusive, and it's more closely bonded to the desktop.

As long as you stick with Gnome. It seems a shame there's still no Kubuntu client.

Lightstar
March 31st, 2011, 11:57 PM
"It appears that you are attempting to use Amazon Cloud Player from outside the U.S. This service is intended for U.S. customers only."

Fail

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 12:28 AM
I am not a fan of "cloud computing" of any sort. It smacks of corporate control to me. If you have your head screwed on, you could do this yourself, over SSH to a server at home, which wouldn't cost a single penny!

Legendary_Bibo
April 1st, 2011, 01:53 AM
I am not a fan of "cloud computing" of any sort. It smacks of corporate control to me. If you have your head screwed on, you could do this yourself, over SSH to a server at home, which wouldn't cost a single penny!

Servers are free? I'll take 20.

youbuntu
April 1st, 2011, 03:40 AM
Servers are free? I'll take 20.

Addendum: if you already own one :)

cariboo
April 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Ubuntu One runs on Amazon's cloud servers.

JeSTeR7
April 2nd, 2011, 06:22 AM
They are clearly similar, but the dealbreaker for me is the free streaming to Android phones. If Amazon is going to offer it for free, I can't justify spending $4/mo to use Ubuntu One.

If Ubuntu One mobile was free, it's a no-brainer, I'm going with it.

galacticaboy
April 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
"It appears that you are attempting to use Amazon Cloud Player from outside the U.S. This service is intended for U.S. customers only."

Fail

By the way, nice avi! ITS L!

Rasa1111
April 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Id much rather give my money to Ubuntu/Canonical before I willingly gave it to amazon. lol

What Ubuntu/Canonical does with it is up to them..
But I won't directly be giving money to amazon... ever.
I don't care what they offer me. lol

wi0
May 8th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Id much rather give my money to Ubuntu/Canonical before I willingly gave it to amazon. lol

Care to share why the dislike of Amazon?

motherboyxx
May 16th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Heck, I would rather give $ to amazon than apple (ie itunes cloud). Its cheaper than U1 right now but maybe things will change. I think/hope all this cloud rivalry will help the consumer in the long run imao

CreativeReach
May 17th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Addendum: if you already own one :)

Plus the power and internet ;) 13 mps for a sever at least.

Macskeeball
May 18th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Care to share why the dislike of Amazon?

I was wondering this too. My experience with them has been pretty good.

Onoku
May 18th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Amazon is where I do 90% of my online shopping ^^. I'm not a huge fan of the whole cloud idea though. I can see the usefulness of it, but I'm not quite sold on it yet. As for U1, more competitive pricing would help it out, but can they afford to?

Fedz
May 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Never been into Amazon so I'll stick with UbuntuOne it's one step integrated into the desktop & ample for important stuff plus supports Canonical besides I have my own server with 100's of GiB to play with so don't have much use for relying on 3rd parties :)

Fedz
May 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
They are clearly similar, but the dealbreaker for me is the free streaming to Android phones. If Amazon is going to offer it for free, I can't justify spending $4/mo to use Ubuntu One.

If Ubuntu One mobile was free, it's a no-brainer, I'm going with it.
Ya cant justify a mere $4 p/m :confused: You jesting? :)