PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Petition

dniMretsaM
March 31st, 2011, 08:25 PM
Ok, I really have no idea where I should put this. If there is a more appropriate section, please move it.

Anyway, I recently switched from XP over the Ubuntu, and the only thing that I do not like is the fact that Apple's iTunes does not work. My system is way to slow for visualising a Windows environment and I can't get Ubuntu to recognise my iPod Touch. So, I'm currently without options for syncing my device. Since Apple clearly isn't going to respond to individual requests, I'm going to write a petition demanding a Linux compatible version of iTunes. The reason for posting this thread is mainly to gauge how much (if any) support I would get, get a little help writing the petition, and publicising it some. I will probably have the "first draft" up tomorrow (maybe earlier) and see if anybody on here has anything to add. I plan on using http://petitiononline.org/ to host the petition, but if anyone has a recommendation for a better site, let me know.

TCSnyder
March 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/itmslin/petition.html

already done.

i dont think it will work though.

dniMretsaM
March 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM
I looked around and couldn't find one. Thanks for the link. Why don't you think it will work?

TCSnyder
March 31st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Apple is just not the one for openness in any form.

They make great products, but it is their way or the highway.

on the new iphone4, they invented a new type of screw so that you cannot take it apart unless you are a certified apple tech.

That petition has been up a while also with no comments from apple.

cafejunkie
March 31st, 2011, 08:35 PM
The reason it more than likely won't work is simply because of Apple's nature. Apple likes to have full, 100% control over all of their software and devices. As you can probably see, all of the iTunes services will eventually conflict with the licensing schemes of most Linux distros.
Rather than petitioning for a port of iTunes (which would include the store, etc) you should be petitioning for I/O drivers for iDevices so that they can be used with Banshee, Rhythmbox, Amarok, etc.
I recently convinced my fiance to go 100% linux (with Ubuntu) despite her using an iPhone. I set her up with Windows inside virtualbox and it works flawlessly.

gnomeuser
March 31st, 2011, 09:02 PM
If your iPod doesn't show up in a recent version of Banshee it is a bug (provided it is not an iPhone 4 or similar generation device since these are not supported by libgpod yet).

If you want support, petitioning Apple is likely not going to do much, however you could use something like fossfactory to setup a reward for implementing support. I would happily pledge 10$ towards such an effort.

If your device is supposed to be supported and it doesn't work, please pm me.

wolfen69
March 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Your ipod should sync fine with ubuntu 11.04. (did for me anyway with gtkpod)

dh04000
March 31st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Personally, I don't care if iTunes comes to linux, but many people do. I'm happy buying cd's, ripping them to mp3 and playing them on banshee. But, I'm all for iTunes coming to linux if that makes the masses happy. Now, I don't believe that its going to happen in the next future, so maybe our energy should be put in make users know that their iTunes related devices and music are supported, and make sure that they are 100% supported with each Ubuntu release.

Legendary_Bibo
April 1st, 2011, 02:52 AM
Steve won't because of My Little Ponies. srsly. (http://www.fakesteve.net/2007/02/my-little-pony-warns-me-off-linux.html)

smellyman
April 1st, 2011, 03:26 AM
I understand why people want iTunes on Linux for their iphones/ipods etc., but iTunes might be the worst app in the world and I never want an ipad or iphone because of it.

and I like Macs. My Macbook is great.

jrusso2
April 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM
This is at least the fourth petition for iTunes and you see how well the others have done.

dniMretsaM
April 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
on the new iphone4, they invented a new type of screw so that you cannot take it apart unless you are a certified apple tech.

I heard about that. I also heard about people modding a normal screwdriver to get them out and then replacing them. Way to fail Apple.

If your iPod doesn't show up in a recent version of Banshee it is a bug (provided it is not an iPhone 4 or similar generation device since these are not supported by libgpod yet).

It doesn't and it's not. It's a iPod Touch 2G on 4.2.1 jailbroken with Greenpois0n RC6 (or maybe RC6.1). And I just installed Banshee today, so I have the latest version.

If you want support, petitioning Apple is likely not going to do much, however you could use something like fossfactory to setup a reward for implementing support. I would happily pledge 10$ towards such an effort.

There's an idea. I'll definitely look into that.

If your device is supposed to be supported and it doesn't work, please pm me.

PM coming your way.

operatorace
April 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Apple is just not the one for openness in any form.

They make great products, but it is their way or the highway.

That petition has been up a while also with no comments from apple.

Oh no!!!!!!! There is no way I can google and find a free pentolobular screwdriver to open up my new iPhone 4!!!

dniMretsaM
April 1st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Oh no!!!!!!! There is no way I can google and find a free pentolobular screwdriver to open up my new iPhone 4!!!

I'm pretty sure you missed the point of his post.

operatorace
April 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you missed the point of his post.

No, the point of the post was to be a useless rant.